No birds

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I haven’t had any birds at the feeders today. Do they hunker down in front of a storm? I would have thought they would be eating prior to tomorrows weather.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was just thinking along the same lines. I’ve had a few but not near the usual numbers. The finches come and go all day but the chickadees and downy woodpeckers are usually non-stop thru the day and both have been pretty sparse in numbers today.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They’re probably all laying dead by zigi’s stadium )

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is it windy out?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have had an increase in northern flickers and even pileated woodpeckers lately. an occasional downy…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lots of titz around my yard this time of year.

Oh grow up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea, they’re afraid of the pending “heavy dusting”.

craig s

Birds weren’t worried cuz weatherman is probably wrong?

troutbum
    St. Paul

The last two mornings right before first light, Ive witnessed a sunstantial murder of crows on the Childrens hospital campus. I would guess somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 birds. Pretty cool.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

When I use to feed the birds, before a snow storm moved in the doves would flock to the feeder.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Lots of titz around my yard this time of year.

Oh grow up.

How is your brother Baul Zitch doing?

Bassn Dan

Slowish day for birds here too.

Warm day with melting snow = not as hungry and other food sources available. When the snow kicks up tomorrow they’ll remember who their friends are!

Pine siskins have been steady customers this year. Not many cardinals compared to usual.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was serious about the wind. If it’s windy, small birds are not as active.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Canvasbacks and Buffleheads were thick in the main river channel last weekend. then generally move to the back waters if they open.

I’ve been practicing with my camera and lucked out getting this close to a pileated woodpecker!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1344.jpg

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Canvasbacks and Buffleheads were thick in the main river channel last weekend. then generally move to the back waters if they open.

I’ve been practicing with my camera and lucked out getting this close to a pileated woodpecker!!

With all due respect BK
    Please show me legit pics of Cans still hanging out up here on the Mississippi in January.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The Cardinals are singing their courtship songs down here. Makes the sunrise more enjoyable.

Rod Bent

I saw quite a few swans on White Bear on Sunday and then some more on the St. Croix on Monday. A really nice sighting was a juvenile Northern Shrike on New Years Eve in Woodbury! Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union had a report of a Tufted Duck in Colville Park, a first for Goodhue Co. It was with a Canvasback and a Redhead.
    Anyone seen any over-wintering Robins?
    Check out moumn.org.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had a few doves and Robins until that cold streak hit. Haven’t seen either since it warmed up. My usuals are right back at the feeders today along with a pair of sharp shinned hawks that keep the seed eaters pretty on edge.

Last year we had cardinals all over and this season we haven’t seen but a couple and real random at that.

This big winter storm has sort of flopped I think. We maybe have a half inch and the radar shows most of the storm’s mass falling apart as it moves up out of Iowa. This is a real heart breaker….NOT!.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh! You got a picture of the Devil Himself! You should see what they do to my wood siding. flame flame flame

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

We had 3 robins at the feeder on Christmas weekend. Have not seen since.

-J.

Bassn Dan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rod Bent wrote:</div>

We had 3 robins at the feeder on Christmas weekend. Have not seen since.

-J.

Saw a robin New Year’s Day when it was below zero. A little optimistic with his spring prediction…

Rod Bent

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Cardinal. Had a Red-bellied Woodpecker pecking at his reflection and the vinyl window. UV ribbon keeps it away.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve been having a large group of yearling/female pine grosbeaks at the feeder off and on the last couple weeks. Funny thing is I have yet to see an adult male. And this morning I had a big Barred Owl sitting in the trees above the feeder looking for a meal. On 12/29 I was lucky enough to see a Great Grey hunting a road ditch near my house. Boy are they huge!

Downy, hairy and pileated woodpeckers at the suet daily. Amazing they can hammer on the blocks in these temps (-19 this am). Chickadee’s, purple finch’s and brown and white nuthatches are in the feeder constantly. And the blue jays seem to prefer the deer corn to seed.

Wish we would have cardinals. Loved seeing them all year around growing up in SW Wisconsin. Up here we might see one a couple times in summer, but being in the middle of the woods they dont stick around.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

No shortage of Cardinals at the feeder here in St Paul.

-J.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was just thinking that the birds did a vanishing act again a bit ago. I got a drink of water in the kitchen and what should I see in our big oak? None other than a pair of sharp shinned hawks watching the feeders in the pine…my bird watching tree. When those hawks appear nothing is around the feeders.

4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

I spent several hours trying to se the “Tufted” that was in Colvill last week. I never saw it and never found anyone with an actual confirmed sighting or photograph. Common Goldeneyes and mergansers by the 100’s and 1000’s in the area. In several days of watching them I only saw a couple other species, Mallards (duh), a wood duck drake that takes up residence near the grainery, 2 Lesser Scaup near Baypoint and a couple of Tundra swans. Although there were reports of other waterfowl in the area I was not able to find anything odd or unique. I have chased the story of Tufteds a couple of times and have yet to have seen one. If someone sees this one again please let me know asap.

I have had two people with good waterfowl knowledge tell me of a small flock of Old Squaw (I know, Longtailed Ducks) in the main channel near the head of Lake Pepin this past week. I have seen them here before and have harvested a couple over the years but I was unable to locate this group. Anyone else see them? PM me a general area if you do not mind.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Got some Turkeys feeding at the trough this AM.

Attachments:
    1. Feeder.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have a couple of Jays but thats about it this morning so far.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Do these taste good? I can hear/feel him at work this morning. flame

Anyone ever have success in deterring these monsters from doing damage?

I’ve tried the owl thing, the owl thing with the bobble head, mylar strips, aluminum foil, steel wool.

Attachments:
    1. The-Devil.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.