Nightstand Pistol Safes

• jwellsy

Any experience here with these small safes. Looks like they range from $60 – $120, depending on biometrics or not and whether it holds 1 or 2 pistols. But, there’s all kinds of brands.

Do any of these have dehumidifiers or do you just toss in a packet of adsorbent once in a while to limit rust?

How often do you have to change the batteries in the biometric units?

Looks like a lot of them come with cable tethers, what do you fasten the other end of the cable to, the nightstand?

Any suggestion on brands/models/features to look at or stay away from?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have the vaultek life pod 2.0 and have been a fan. I keep mine cabled around my bed frame. Able to fit both a subcompact and a compact in it at the same time. Along with some cash.

B-man

I have the vault…. Along with some cash.

Where do you live again???? jester

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240912-1959542.png

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The $20 in there probably isnt worth it jester

Where do you live again???? jester

LabDaddy1

Don’t worry, he’s using nord VPN

Dan
    Southeast MN

The one I use I keep under my bed, can’t remember the name of it but it’s from Liberty safes. Not biometric but a quick combo and you’re in. I’ve heard good things about their customer service and can say that I’ve needed it once and they were great. I think one of my kids pushed too many buttons one time and locked me out of the safe and I couldn’t find the key anywhere. They don’t just mail keys to anyone but after getting them a copy of my driver’s license and signing a notarized form (and paying for the keys) they sent me two replacement keys, but were very helpful throughout the process.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anyone use stop box’s? They have a bogo deal for $160 right now, and I see they are advertising a ton.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

They don’t just mail keys to anyone but after getting them a copy of my driver’s license and signing a notarized form (and paying for the keys) they sent me two replacement keys, but were very helpful throughout the process.

Not starting a fight here, just letting you know- liberty gives your backup combo / key to any law enforcement that simply asks them nicely. No warrant or due process required, no approval from you, etc. This came to light a year or two ago and liberty publicly stood by their decision to support warrantless searches, iirc.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

When shopping for secure storage, don’t walk away from Liberty safes…run

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Liberty , that’s a no from me dawg.

jwellsy

A buddy at work has one that isn’t biometric , just a 4 button combination setup and he hates his because he said it eats up batteries like crazy. He’ll check it this weekend for what the brand is.

LabDaddy1

Why can’t people just drive it into their kids’ heads that YOU DON’T TOUCH FIREARMS WITHOUT PERMISSION and BE SAFE.

And once old enough; here is how you use it well… That worked on my lil butt devil

Not to sound harsh but I can’t see myself or my kids needing a special safe. Unless the dog starts learning how to handle a pistol lol or if you have a batsh*t crazy wife!!!

P.S.: my dad let me freely handle all firearms without consent/supervision by about age 10 or 11. Whether it was to handle a coon or bipedal intruder, he didn’t care, because he trusted me and my gun-handling, and I knew the codes to the safes. Not saying everyone should do it that way, but being serious about gun safety can surely make a huge difference!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Not to sound harsh but I can’t see myself or my kids needing a special safe.

Because its illegal to store them in a way that kids might have access to them in MN.

Reef W

Not starting a fight here, just letting you know- liberty gives your backup combo / key to any law enforcement that simply asks them nicely. No warrant or due process required, no approval from you, etc. This came to light a year or two ago and liberty publicly stood by their decision to support warrantless searches, iirc.

Unless there’s some other instance I’m not aware of the big outrage was about them providing the code to the FBI who had a warrant to search the premises of a Jan 6th participant, where the safe was, and shared that with Liberty. Liberty was not subpoenaed compelling them to assist.

My personal opinion is the FBI can open the safe either way and it should be up to the owner whether they want their safe destroyed in the process or not. It wasn’t a “warrantless” search as it often gets repeated though.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>

Unless there’s some other instance I’m not aware of the big outrage was about them providing the code to the FBI who had a warrant to search the premises of a Jan 6th participant, where the safe was, and shared that with Liberty. Liberty was not subpoenaed compelling them to assist.

My personal opinion is the FBI can open the safe either way and it should be up to the owner whether they want their safe destroyed in the process or not. It wasn’t a “warrantless” search as it often gets repeated though.

FBI had a warrant for the residence and it had nothing to do with liberty safes. I agree with what you said- the choice should have been up to the owner. The fact is it wasn’t, liberty made a decision that is not even aligned with their own stated policies. I can’t get behind that at all; a safe manufacturer has no business intervening in an investigation whatsoever. A good example is apple, and I don’t even like or use their products but it’s refreshing to see them constantly telling the FBI to get bent when it comes to secure data access.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not to sound harsh but I can’t see myself or my kids needing a special safe.

Theft. When burglars break in, one of the items they look for in particular are firearms. Mine have a lot of value. Not that a thief couldn’t ever crack one open, but it’s certainly a lot more difficult than it is to just grab a firearm that’s not in a safe.

Also, unless you have a special rider or separate policy, most standard homeowners insurance policies limit the amount you can claim on cash, jewelry, and firearms.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.