Next week and turnover

• Ross Gunderson

Anyone up there have a clue at when turnover will hit leech and Winnie? Looks like some nice weather coming for the next 4-5 days and then dropping. Will it hold off through next weekend ya think?

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Turn cannot occur till surface temp hit 39 F. Lots of info on the web. Most people do not understand it. 39 is the temp when water is densest and sinks sinks as its heavier than the water below causing the deep water to come to the surface.
    SO you will need to find out what surfaces temps are .

Mwal

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

You can normally get a good idea of the surface temp by taking the highs and lows temp for the week and averaging them out.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Walker Bay will have a “turnover” but the main lake for the most part is not deep enough for a true “turnover”. IMO…

IMO-the “turnover” in central Mn. lakes –deep enough–starts at around 50-53 degrees. So–yes–a “complete” turnover takes place at water temps around 40 degrees but the process surely begins at much warmer water temps. IMO…and hands on experience.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The water temp today in Walker bay was 61, it’s 56-60 most everywhere else.

Judging by the forecast, Walker bay, Agency bay, Shingobee bay and Kabekona bay won’t be turning over anytime soon. The big lake doesn’t really have a thermocline (except for occasionally in the Paris Trench which is a very small portion of the main lake) so there really isn’t any turn-over to worry about. If things seem weird in Walker bay, head out to the big lake.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good info as always Steve and Phil! Either of you have any walleye trips in the next week? Reports are fewer and farther between once some hunting seasons open up, and muskies get hungrier! waytogo

steve-fellegy

Good info as always Steve and Phil! Either of you have any walleye trips in the next week? Reports are fewer and farther between once some hunting seasons open up, and muskies get hungrier! waytogo

I will be on Leech on October 7th and 8th out of Trapper’s. (Not before as the “chemo store” is having a sale this coming Monday the 3rd–can’t miss that –LAST one–I hope) After the 8th–all my fishing will be on “small” walleye lakes south of Leech.

Ross Gunderson

I appreciate the info guys. I am contemplating bring the wife up 7-9th for walleyes and really trying to get her on walleyes. She just had our kid, arranged a babysitter, and this is her first time out so trying my best. I am just scared the lake will turnover/change (fish spread out a ton) in the eastern bays on Thursday or Friday and we will get skunked. Would you think its a solid bet to still have good fishing?

steve-fellegy

I appreciate the info guys. I am contemplating bring the wife up 7-9th for walleyes and really trying to get her on walleyes. She just had our kid, arranged a babysitter, and this is her first time out so trying my best. I am just scared the lake will turnover/change (fish spread out a ton) in the eastern bays on Thursday or Friday and we will get skunked. Would you think its a solid bet to still have good fishing?

I would sure be surprised not to catch a fair number of walleyes those days…no reason not to?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

As long as she clears up for that full moon when I’ll be up all will be good.

Like Steve said, lots of other lakes in area if worse comes to.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I’ll be out sunday for walleyes, I’ll try to put together a report. The walleye bite has been pretty decent. But yes, I have been ‘lungin’ a lot lately.

shefland
    Walker

In a perfect world right 39 degrees would signify turnover, but with high winds it could happen with temps in the 50’s somewhere, I doubt Winnie would turnover, and I doubt the main lake of Leech would either, too big and shallow, except for the Trench as Phil mentioned. If you have doubts fish a small shallow lake, or just go fishing and enjoy it.

Ross Gunderson

Any updates for us still working and waiting to come up gents?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Any updates for us still working and waiting to come up gents?

Slow for us. We worked very hard on Sunday for 5 keepers, 4 dinks and one slot fish. Sunny and calm made it tough, we got all of our bites as the sun hit the trees. We targeted perch mid-day and caught fair numbers to 12″. It should get better this week with cooling temps, clouds and wind in the forecast. When the wind blows in the same direction for more than one day, it gets easier to locate active schools. Water is still ~56-62 degrees.

Cheers and hook-sets!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Water Temps are still in the 55range give or take a few depending on where your at.

bradl110

Anyone know if any of the metro lakes have turned over?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.