New Truck – thoughts

• MnPat1

I am pretty conservative financially and personally would not recommend to buy new just because you can afford the payment. Even with a low interest rate, you will still be making payments on that $40k+ truck for 6-8 years and it’s highly likely to be under water for a significant portion of that time.

I did a bunch of research and narrowed my options to used tundras and F150’s. Ended up with a ‘14 F150 with the 5.0 engine and low miles and couldn’t be happier.

I would much rather owe money on a truck with a warranty than one without or nearing the end. If I was a w2 employee I would likely never buy a newer truck. Now if your self employed it makes a lot of sense to buy new especially with the tax breaks now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Spencer Olson wrote:</div>
    I am pretty conservative financially and personally would not recommend to buy new just because you can afford the payment. Even with a low interest rate, you will still be making payments on that $40k+ truck for 6-8 years and it’s highly likely to be under water for a significant portion of that time.

I did a bunch of research and narrowed my options to used tundras and F150’s. Ended up with a ‘14 F150 with the 5.0 engine and low miles and couldn’t be happier.

I would much rather owe money on a truck with a warranty than one without or nearing the end. If I was a w2 employee I would likely never buy a newer truck. Now if your self employed it makes a lot of sense to buy new especially with the tax breaks now.

I think there are obvious perks to buying new that have to be factored in. However, issuing blanket statements that “buying new is a better deal” or “don’t ever buy new” are painting with a pretty broad brush. Buying new versus used is an age-old question that should be individualized to each purchaser.

The biggest factor is looking at your own financial situation. You don’t ever want to be in a situation where you owe more than a vehicle is worth. Unfortunately with vehicles, this happens often as they depreciate in a hurry (especially if you put on a lot of miles). Don’t fall for the gimmick “Gap” insurance either as that’s just essentially telling you the loan may be a bad idea. Buying new is great, but there’s no way I’d want to finance it for 8 years as you’d be almost guaranteed to be upside down in the later years of the loan if you make minimum payments. 8 years from now gasoline trucks could be looked at completely differently with regards to value as technology changes, on top of the ~100k+ miles and wear and tear. On the same note, I wouldn’t buy a 6+ year old pickup without putting down a considerable chunk of cash. A lot of things beyond routine maintenance start to pop up once you exceed that 100k mark (and often before). Making payments and shelling out substantial money for repairs is no fun either.

tswoboda

New and like new vehicles (4wd trucks) are a big expense no matter how you slice it and with the current new/used market there isn’t much difference in cost either way. Any “savings” is likely to be minuscule. It really comes down to the individual buyer and variables like how many miles driven annually and duration of ownership.

The only way I see to really cut down on an annual vehicle expense is to OWN a 10+ year old vehicle and keep it for long time. This obviously comes with the added time expense of taking care of it and the potential for more maintenance expenses. Obviously this option isn’t for everyone.

For sake of discussion let’s throw depreciation, tax, and interest costs away… the difference in registration and insurance cost alone is significant. $500 – $1,000 less per year on a 10 year old vehicle versus new.

walleyevision

Test Drives today: All drove nice, I mean how can you really tell with a 10 minute drive anyway. Fit and finish, Ram is head and shoulders above the others (comparing comparable trim levels btw). For what you get for the money, the Ram is like driving a luxury vehicle, while the Silverado and Fords felt like work trucks. I think my mind is made up, now I just have to find a deal that works.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

check out cargurus to find prices in your area. don’t be afraid to pin dealerships against each other to match prices.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Test Drives today: All drove nice, I mean how can you really tell with a 10 minute drive anyway. Fit and finish, Ram is head and shoulders above the others (comparing comparable trim levels btw). For what you get for the money, the Ram is like driving a luxury vehicle, while the Silverado and Fords felt like work trucks. I think my mind is made up, now I just have to find a deal that works.

That’s a good feeling. Like I mentioned, I’m not brand loyal but the interior and overall quality of the Ram is what impressed me. The GMC’s were also nice but pricing was out of the budget I wanted to pay.

I bought from Bloomington Chrysler. I was surprised a smaller dealership was so competitive. As a comparable, my family has purchased half a dozen vehicles from Woodhouse down in Nebraska. They are a massive ford and ram dealer. They were a couple grand more than Bloomington.

MnPat1

Dodge and ford are in competition of who can make the tallest truck. The bed sides are too high to work out of. I know it doesn’t matter to most of the office workers driving short bed trucks but to me it matters. The step in the bumper of the Chevy is a must have for me also. I bought a new 2018 Chevy crew cab 6.5’ box 2 years ago with leather,sunroof,heated seats etc…all for under 40,000. At the time the gm trucks were discounted a lot more than ford or dodge.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m in used truck hell right now. My 2014 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel has 302,000 miles on it. I really don’t know what kind of value it has on the used market. It’s in good shape and runs like a watch. But, still over 300,000 miles.

Sell & buy new, or just keep running it until it dies. frown

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m in used truck hell right now. My 2014 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel has 302,000 miles on it. I really don’t know what kind of value it has on the used market. It’s in good shape and runs like a watch. But, still over 300,000 miles.

Sell & buy new, or just keep running it until it dies. frown

Buy a new one. The 12″ screens are bombdigity and the heated seats have 3 settings. waytogo

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Dodge and ford are in competition of who can make the tallest truck. The bed sides are too high to work out of. I know it doesn’t matter to most of the office workers driving short bed trucks but to me it matters. The step in the bumper of the Chevy is a must have for me also. I bought a new 2018 Chevy crew cab 6.5’ box 2 years ago with leather,sunroof,heated seats etc…all for under 40,000. At the time the gm trucks were discounted a lot more than ford or dodge.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

saugeye-steve

Stay away from Ram trucks 2017-present.
    They have a rust issue along the rocker panels.

walleyevision

Really? You’ve seen trucks that new with rust?

toddrun

Buckybadger, good point about gas trucks in the next years to come, you could include the diesels too.

So everyone should be excited about the GMC Hummer EV being introduced in May. All electric. Up to 1000HP. Up to 11,500 LB-Ft of torque. O-60 mph in 3 seconds.

Answers all the questions!!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

So everyone should be excited about the GMC Hummer EV being introduced in May. All electric. Up to 1000HP. Up to 11,500 LB-Ft of torque. O-60 mph in 3 seconds.

Answers all the questions!!

Except for range. Once you run 3-400 miles, how long are you willing to wait to “re-fill”?

HRG

Deleted

Yeah, a 10 year old design and 10 mpg is awesome!
    [/quote]

It’s not brand loyalty that makes me giggle reading your expert comment. Dodge are and always have been piles. This is your first truck it sounds. Ford & Chevy also garbage. Even the Toyota Tacoma has that reputation now. The tundra, with its lack of great fuel mileage has proven to be a solid truck. I’ve actually owned several of them all. My experience has been thru actual repair bills and headaches. Seems to me that those who spend up, to the 3/4 tons and 1 tons with the better motors and transmissions get the serious longevity we should all be getting with every truck, considering the ridiculous prices nowadays.

Get used to these ….

Attachments:
    1. 1C8BFFCE-6DD5-458E-BB39-75198FC10B33.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

2019 Ram – Why do these engineers do such stupid things?
    When it’s dark the interior dash lights and the headlights go on even with the switch off.
    So you think you’re good to go. NOPE! you have to turn the switch so your tail lights go on. Who comes up with dumb a$$ $Hi7 like this? I’ll get somewhere and some one will say “hey your tail lights aren’t working” flame flame flame

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yeah, a 10 year old design and 10 mpg is awesome!

It’s not brand loyalty that makes me giggle reading your expert comment. Dodge are and always have been piles. This is your first truck it sounds. Ford & Chevy also garbage. Even the Toyota Tacoma has that reputation now. The tundra, with its lack of great fuel mileage has proven to be a solid truck. I’ve actually owned several of them all. My experience has been thru actual repair bills and headaches. Seems to me that those who spend up, to the 3/4 tons and 1 tons with the better motors and transmissions get the serious longevity we should all be getting with every truck, considering the ridiculous prices nowadays.

Get used to these ….
    [/quote]

Your argument here is flawed. First, I never questioned the quality of Toyota. It’s pretty well known their trucks are bulletproof. But who wants to own a truck with that same design and terrible mileage? I don’t.

I have a warranty that will last longer than I own the truck in all likelihood. My criteria is obviously different than yours.

Tom Bennett

My 2006 Tundra seems to be at the point of some costly maintenance and I don’t really want to sink a ton of dough into her. So, I’m looking at getting something else. I don’t think I can swing new, but would rather get something a year or two old with about 30k miles or less. Crew cab is a must.

I’m open to anything and would like opinions or different makes models. I really like the look of new Rams, but it’s a new model, so worried the kinks haven’t been worked out. By the looks of the Silverados, the backseat legroom is a bit tight, is that true (never sat in one)? Fords seem nice, which motor seems the best?

Thanks in advance

I have the same truck and am curious about what types of repairs you need. My 06 SR5 replaced my 02 SR5 Tundra a few years ago. The 02 was still very good, but I wanted a double cab, and I got a great price on both (selling and buying).

The 02 needed a radiator at about 160,000. My current 06 has all original parts.

The one big thing to consider with the 2UZ-FE V8 is need for timing belt at 90,000 miles or so. The motor itself is bullet proof, but for some folks this is a deal breaker. Other than that, not much has been needed for me.

walleyevision

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyevision wrote:</div>
    My 2006 Tundra seems to be at the point of some costly maintenance and I don’t really want to sink a ton of dough into her. So, I’m looking at getting something else. I don’t think I can swing new, but would rather get something a year or two old with about 30k miles or less. Crew cab is a must.

I’m open to anything and would like opinions or different makes models. I really like the look of new Rams, but it’s a new model, so worried the kinks haven’t been worked out. By the looks of the Silverados, the backseat legroom is a bit tight, is that true (never sat in one)? Fords seem nice, which motor seems the best?

Thanks in advance

I have the same truck and am curious about what types of repairs you need. My 06 SR5 replaced my 02 SR5 Tundra a few years ago. The 02 was still very good, but I wanted a double cab, and I got a great price on both (selling and buying).

The 02 needed a radiator at about 160,000. My current 06 has all original parts.

The one big thing to consider with the 2UZ-FE V8 is need for timing belt at 90,000 miles or so. The motor itself is bullet proof, but for some folks this is a deal breaker. Other than that, not much has been needed for me.

Only repairs I’ve needed so far was a new alternator and a fix to a power steering leak. It is starting to pop and click a bit when I turn…so tie rods or maybe CV joints are going out. Hopefully not the CV’s

Tom Bennett

Luckily I got a good frame on both of mine, and there is virtually no body rust on my 06.

I am pretty sure you will get a good price if you sell it, even as it is. When I sold my 02 I found out that a lot of people seek out the 1st gen Tundra for their good reputation for reliability in an older used truck.

I bought my 2002 new and when I sold it 2 years ago it didn’t have as much as a loose thread in the interior, and drove as well as the day I drove it off the lot.

jwellsy

I figure maybe the last vehicle I ever plan on buying before I die might be brand new. I just can’t justify paying more than what my house costs for something that depreciates. Plus, I hate making monthly payments on anything. Every payday I pay myself some savings. I also believe you can buy any vehicle out there for $10,000 or less if you’re willing to wait long enough. They will all eventually be worth $10,000 or less. Cash is king.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I am soooo glad I have my 2003 Lariat F350 dully 7.3 diesel crew cab 4X4 I have been offered more then what I paid for it when it was 2 years old. This truck has saved me so much money has been rock solid besides brakes and tires have not had to touch a thing on it. Not a speck of rust on it except a little on the frame I will die with this truck. I have saved thousands and thousand of dollars keeping this truck.

Deleted

I am soooo glad I have my 2003 Lariat F350 dully 7.3 diesel crew cab 4X4 I have been offered more then what I paid for it when it was 2 years old. This truck has saved me so much money has been rock solid besides brakes and tires have not had to touch a thing on it. Not a speck of rust on it except a little on the frame I will die with this truck. I have saved thousands and thousand of dollars keeping this truck.

My farmer buddy swears by that truck also …..

matt

I have a 21 year old Explorer allmost 400,000miles.Still runs great,still getting 20mpg on the highway but the rust is getting real bad and the old v6 is struggling to pull the boat,especially uphill!Going to replace it with a lower mileage less rusty one and run it for another 400,000.Will be keeping the old tired one for spare parts,they are very easy to work on.

jwellsy

Another way to get a new vehicle is to instead of buying it directly, buy an income producing asset and let that pay for the new toy. When it’s payed off you’ll still have an income producing asset.

Ramil

I suggest you can also go for Ranger. Yes, it is too popular but the reason behind it is it is really that sturdy plus the price is little affordable compared to ram. Work to be done today is only attached this https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-15200-run.html. Trying to get more off-road lighting for the ranger …headlight is not enough.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.