New Truck – thoughts

• walleyevision

My 2006 Tundra seems to be at the point of some costly maintenance and I don’t really want to sink a ton of dough into her. So, I’m looking at getting something else. I don’t think I can swing new, but would rather get something a year or two old with about 30k miles or less. Crew cab is a must.

I’m open to anything and would like opinions or different makes models. I really like the look of new Rams, but it’s a new model, so worried the kinks haven’t been worked out. By the looks of the Silverados, the backseat legroom is a bit tight, is that true (never sat in one)? Fords seem nice, which motor seems the best?

Thanks in advance

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I had a 2004 Silverado Crew cab when the kids were younger. I never had any complaints on the legroom from my buddies on fishing/hunting trips. I have a double cab now since I’m not hauling kids and wanted more box length. The legroom is tight in the back seat. I’ve heard the Ram crew cab rear legroom is very generous.

Dink buster

Bought my Chevy 1500 new in 2018 and love it. As much room in the back as there is in the front seats. Compared to other brands I felt I got more for less money. Large touchscreen ,heated seats ( not cooled or leather though)and a v8. Very comfortable and the best part is fuel mileage. My best was 28.1 mpg on the interstate.

milemark_714

I would go with what fits best,regardless of brand.You can get a dud in any brand,seems like these days the “kinks” are never ironed out.Stuff just keeps getting changed,and many times not for the better.

I would just do a bunch of extended test drives on all of them.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I value dependability above all else so my first choice would be toyota but the mpg is something to take into account. Whatever you choose consider the finances. A year or two used is often not that much less than new and, assuming you are taking out a loan, when you factor in the 4.5% interest rate over 0 or 1% with new, new is often a better buy.

Search truck on this forum and you will find a bunch of past discussions.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Whatever you choose consider the finances. A year or two used is often not that much less than new and, assuming you are taking out a loan, when you factor in the 4.5% interest rate over 0 or 1% with new, new is often a better buy.

Was just going to post this as well. Work out the total cost of new vs used when you decide what you want. New will probably come out cheaper when you consider the total amount paid. You also get the benefit of the full warranty then.

I used to try to buy “slightly used” back when leasing was popular and there were a lot more vehicles on the market with less than 30k on the clock. The last 3 times I’ve had to buy, we got sub-1% financing on new so used came out more expensive.

Grouse

Timmy

When I bought mine in 2016, my needs dictated either a 3/4 or a 1t and I soon found that used HD trucks that were 1-3 yrs old with less than 50k on them were either beat to heck or they were priced nearly at new pricing levels(due to factory and dealer incentives). Ended up with a brand new Silverado 2500hd in a basic stripped down trim package for about $2k less than an exact match with 2 yrs and 30k miles on it. Going brand new was a no-brainer.

milemark_714

When I bought mine in 2016, my needs dictated either a 3/4 or a 1t and I soon found that used HD trucks that were 1-3 yrs old with less than 50k on them were either beat to heck or they were priced nearly at new pricing levels(due to factory and dealer incentives). Ended up with a brand new Silverado 2500hd in a basic stripped down trim package for about $2k less than an exact match with 2 yrs and 30k miles on it. Going brand new was a no-brainer.

Very true,and even more so when it comes to a truck with a regular cab.Finding a used minty one is like finding a unicorn.Not a fan of the toys and glitz,I would be very happy with manual windows/locks.And would be nice to option a GM WT 1500 with the 6.2L,but isn’t going to happen.And I am betting that the diesel 3.0 1/2T option is only with the premium levels.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn and it’s been great. I have 13000 miles on it in a little less than a year. I looked at slightly used but the used truck market is in high demand so I couldn’t find anything that made sense over new.

I looked at all models and the bighorn for the value was tops. I don’t have brand loyalty and I’d always be a car guy before this purchase. The interior is excellent and laid out really well. Backseat is huge. Comparable gmc, Chevy and ford were all at least $5k more. There is a reason the Ram is gaining market share and it’s the price and the interiors. You can also get the classic which is the old body style and a helluva deal depending on what you want.

The amount of trim packages on trucks made the search a bit staggering. I’d narrow down the major must have items and then start your search.

Plus, it’s a hemi.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think most full size trucks come standard now with a V6 rather than a V8. The mileage is almost always going to improve because of this. Plus a lot of newer models are being built with lighter materials such as aluminum and plastic whereas there used to be more steel.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I was in the same boat as you last year. I went looking around the time of the auto show here in SE Wisconsin and found that I could buy new for almost the same as used. Once you take into account the warranty and mileage it made sense to go that way. You usually get a better interest rate on new as well. I went with the Silverado. I got the double cab for the bed size as well. I have driven it to Canada, and Idaho multiple times now with a couple of 6’+ guys in the back. I’m 6-1 and if I give up a bit of stretch in the front then the guys in the back are fairly comfortable. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them nowadays. So find what fits and you and you’ll be happy.

Ice Cap

I bought a 2016 Expedition Limited EL in late 2016. Had 5000 miles on it. Bought it on Copart auction site. It had been rear ended and came with a salvaged title. Got it at their auction site in St. Cloud. Friend of mine whom I’ve known for 25+ years has been in the body shop business his entire life. He’s a miracle worker and misses nothing. I gave it to him to do the repairs.

The price for the truck and the repairs came in under $40K the book price on the truck was in the mid $60’s. I don’t recommend you do this unless you know and trust thoroughly who is doing the repairs. but if you happen to know somebody around the business and can point you in the right direction it can be a great value. My truck now has just over 30K miles and just love this truck. Those fishing trips to Devils lake with 4 guys and all the gear are a pleasure. Nobody squished in the back of a small cab.

For the times I need to haul wood or dirt I have a trailer.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FWIW – Ain’t nothin better than driving a brand spanking new Pick-up off the lot.

Deleted

I’d sooner get a horse before getting anything but a Toyota truck.

Check out carcomplaints.com but keep in mind that the newer the car you research, the lesser amount of time for the issues to appear and make it to a complaint.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d sooner get a horse before getting anything but a Toyota truck.

Check out carcomplaints.com but keep in mind that the newer the car you research, the lesser amount of time for the issues to appear and make it to a complaint.

Yeah, a 10 year old design and 10 mpg is awesome!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

FWIW – Ain’t nothin better than driving a brand spanking new Pick-up off the lot.

Yea except the $10k you loose in depreciation right off the bat when it leaves the lot whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Yea except the $10k you loose in depreciation right off the bat when it leaves the lot whistling

I was thinking that too.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I don’t see a 10K loss when it leaves the lot. Used trucks are sky high in value. That is why you can trade many times for 6k or 7K for 2 years.

walleyevision

Thanks for all the replies so far fellas…I gotta get off my butt and do some test drives.

Huntnfool

“Yea except the $10k you loose in depreciation right off the bat when it leaves the lot”whistling
    [/quote

I know a lot of people believe this but it really couldn’t be farther from the truth. As an example I just bought my wife a new 2020 Ford Fusion SE for 14200, sticker price was 25k, I can’t touch a used 2019 for that. In other words how many years can I drive this car before I lose a dimes worth of value, looking at the used market probably at least 2. The same could be said when I bought my new 2015 Sierra for 15k under sticker price. I would recommend considering buying new from the big 3, they can all be had for 15k under sticker if you shop around. On a side note, fuelly is great for comparing real world mpg numbers and car gurus is great for finding deals whether you go new or used.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Back in early ’18 I bought a very lightly used 2016 gmc sierra with all the bells and whistles for a little over $40k. I knew exactly the make and model I wanted, so I couldnt be picky when one became available. Only had 13k miles on it when I drove it off the lot, but later that day I heard and felt a rattle I didnt notice on the test drive. Took it back later that afternoon and sure enough.. some transmission something I had never heard of was off. The repair would have been another $3k had it not been under the manufacture warranty still.

I figured a nice, slightly used truck like that couldnt have any major issues that quickly. Couldnt have been more wrong!! Long story short- even the nicest trucks can run into issues early and/or often. Buying new gives you more miles of warranty under your name.

fwiw, I’ve averaged 17+ mpg with mostly city driving since I’ve owned the truck. Only time its not city driving is when its pulling the boat up, down, and all around the country-side.

Let cargurus be your best friend during this exciting search!

Snake ii’s

2019 Silverado 4X4 crew cab long box owner from new. 18k miles averaging ~ 20 mpg.
    I have a lifetime drivetrain warranty, too.

toddrun

I do get a kick out of these threads, and brand blind loyalty statements. My dad is a life long trucker, and if there is anything he has taught me it to NOT be brand loyal, look at them all, because the pendulum swings back and forth between the manufacturers. He has owned every brand I can think of, at one time or other. But that said, as stated previously, he has had some lemons, as all of them have one from time to time. Go drive them all, then you will get side by side personal experience.

I don’t fall for the depreciation talk anymore either. With the Internet buying services now, you get the best price off the lot, and I agree that the used market is stronger than ever, so I would buy new every time.

Just wish the Chevy Avalanche would come back, I am babying my 2011 to make it last as long as possible.

sorgy

I was recently in the same boat. Time to buy another reliable vehicle. Our 3 vehicles had a combined 565,000 miles.
    I was thinking used but by the time you pay off a used truck that starts with 30000 miles you have a very high mileage truck.
    I went new. There are some good deals on the remaining 2019 trucks. I went with a Chevy Silverado LT Crew Cab Standard box. I got a lower interest rate being new. Full warranty and I know the history of the vehicle.
    Good Luck on the search.

Steve

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I was in same boat February 2019. My 2 must haves were a Crew Cab and 6.5′ box, not the standard 5.5′ box in Crew Cabs. I went with a new 2019 Ram Classic. The “Classic” was significantly less than the new design. When comparing the costs of slightly used vs new, it was really a no-brainer to go new. I’m not loyal to any one brand, but Ram has treated me great and is priced a lot better than some others of a similar vehicle.

CaptainMusky

I went with the Silverado. I got the double cab for the bed size as well.

Better yet get a Silverado Crew with the “Standard Bed” which is 6.5′. Not sure why they call it Standard because it isnt standard, but I was NOT going to have that mini box on a crew cab truck. I can fit my otter lodge fish house in there and close the end gate.
    My 2018 has been great. As others have said already, if you are looking to buy a 1 or 2 year old one, you are likely better off going new because of all the incentives. Search dealer inventories for trucks that interest you with colors and options you want.
    I had to have a 6.5′ box so that really narrows down the selection. A double cab isnt big enough for my family of 5 so that ruled those out as well since they come with a 6.5′ box.
    I dont think Dodge/Tundra even offers a crew cab with a 6.5′ box, but I believe Ford does.
    I am on my third new Silverado since 2016. A 2015, 2017 and a 2018. I tend to buy the old model year when the new model year comes out because I put on more miles than average. I seem to trade right around the 30k to 34k mile mark and the cost per mile is cheap because the incentives are so good usually.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I dont think Dodge/Tundra even offers a crew cab with a 6.5′ box, but I believe Ford does.

Ram does. 1 year ago my only criteria was a Crew Cab and 6.5′ box. I went with a 2019 Ram Classic Crew Cab 6.5 box. Not a ton of them out there but dealers will work with you to get one in for you to look at/purchase. The reason most had for not having too many in their inventory was that most garages are not big enough for that extra 1′ length.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I have a 99 crew cab silvarado, the leg room really isn’t that bad for me, unless you move the front seats way back.

mnfisherman18

I am pretty conservative financially and personally would not recommend to buy new just because you can afford the payment. Even with a low interest rate, you will still be making payments on that $40k+ truck for 6-8 years and it’s highly likely to be under water for a significant portion of that time.

I did a bunch of research and narrowed my options to used tundras and F150’s. Ended up with a ‘14 F150 with the 5.0 engine and low miles and couldn’t be happier.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I am pretty conservative financially and personally would not recommend to buy new just because you can afford the payment. Even with a low interest rate, you will still be making payments on that $40k+ truck for 6-8 years and it’s highly likely to be under water for a significant portion of that time.

I did a bunch of research and narrowed my options to used tundras and F150’s. Ended up with a ‘14 F150 with the 5.0 engine and low miles and couldn’t be happier.

Never finance a depreciating asset is how the saying goes I believe.

Money is cheap right now so financing, even if you can afford to pay with cash, isn’t always a bad option. I agree with your sentiment though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.