New to fishing in the mid-west

• John Fields

I just moved to SD for the summer from Texas for work, staying around Wagner for the time I’m here. I’ve been fishing the gulf coast my whole life and do well down there, but I’ve never fished freshwater outside of Texas. I’ve noticed it’s quite a different freshwater fishery from the ones I’m used to, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for catching pike, walleye, or crappie from shore. I’m not asking for any spots, although I wouldn’t mind them, just some help.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Welcome. A slip bobber with a fathead or crappie minnow would catch a variety. Leeches work too. You could cast some small crank baits, but from shore that will depend on weed growth. Good luck.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Find moving water. Either a creek or river moving in or out. Get a steel leader and a Bass style spinner bait and have fun.

Michael Best

I agree with Dutch on the moving water. I would be throwing jigs and plastic however. I like Storm Largo shads but there are lots of good plastics out there that catch fish.
    In NE SD the bite has been very good. Lots of pike in the region as well. A fluorocarbon leader will help with them biting you off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.