New strike master lithium 40v

• Dao

Alright guys i just recently picked up the new 40v lithium and was wondering if i would have to worry about water getting into the head and where the battery sits? I know strikemaster sells a head cover but dose it fit the lithium 40v? Whats the best option for keeping this unit safe from rain/sleet or just very slushy conditions? Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 20171204_205847.jpg

Robert Duncan

Anyone purchase one of these and what is your thoughts? I am looking for a 10″ and was hoping to see feedback on them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Alright guys i just recently picked up the new 40v lithium and was wondering if i would have to worry about water getting into the head and where the battery sits?

I checked with the engineer responsible for developing the 40 volt with regards to your question and he said under normal use water penetration into the power head, lights, or switches is not a concern. All the electronics have been fully potted to eliminate water intrusion. Short of completely submerging it in the lake you don’t have to worry about snow, slush, or moisture impacting performance or longevity.

Now to your questions about how do they work? The 40V is an amazing auger. I think I’m all but done using gas.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Glad to hear that toast

castle-rock-clown

I gave my gas auger setup to my nephew, a beautiful Strikemaster lazer mag and run a Ion electric and I don’t plan on looking back.

Dao

Thanks James! So far its been great! Only problem ive had so far is charging the battery after a day of use. I have to warm up the battery a bit before it will alow the battery to charge but other than that its been awesome

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks James! So far its been great! Only problem ive had so far is charging the battery after a day of use. I have to warm up the battery a bit before it will alow the battery to charge but other than that its been awesome

That’s not a problem in my opinion, that a best practice when it comes to charging batteries. If you try to charge a frozen battery what happens is the charger thinks the battery is fully charged after a shorter than normal charging cycle and shuts off. When you go to use the battery the next day you don’t have the run-time you expect. The “smart” charging system built into the 40V charging base keeps that from happening so you have a fully charged battery each and every time you hit the ice.

Glad you like the 40V. I’ve been nothing but impressed with mine.

Mike DeFranco

Just picked up the strike master 40 V. Should the battery be charged after every use even if it’s still 3/4 or more charged?

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dao wrote:</div>

That’s not a problem in my opinion, that a best practice when it comes to charging batteries. If you try to charge a frozen battery what happens is the charger thinks the battery is fully charged after a shorter than normal charging cycle and shuts off. When you go to use the battery the next day you don’t have the run-time you expect. The “smart” charging system built into the 40V charging base keeps that from happening so you have a fully charged battery each and every time you hit the ice.

That’s some good information right there. This explains why suddenly my Hitachi drill batteries aren’t charging in my unheared garage.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can I ask what you are fishing that you want a 10″ auger? I would think the 10″ would use a lot more battery than a 6″ would. Aren’t most guys using a 6″ and what does the auger come standard with?

As you can tell I don’t know a lot about them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can I ask what you are fishing that you want a 10″ auger? I would think the 10″ would use a lot more battery than a 6″ would. Aren’t most guys using a 6″ and what does the auger come standard with?

As you can tell I don’t know a lot about them.

Eight inch is what I would consider standard.

Guys fishing in hard side houses like then ten inch drill because it takes longer for the holes to freeze. I will opt for the 10″ auger when targeting big pike or Lakers. After seeing a 14.75# walleye come through an 8″ hole I stick to the 8″ for the google eyes.

COLE BONNER

what are some do’s and don’ts to this auger. I understand the battery stuff but what about putting weight on it as its cutting so forth. I would like to be able to take care of mine without ruining the head or blades to bad.

jaybird1

Hello Cole, I would say 90% just let the 40v do the work via gravity and the weight of the unit, the other 10% you can apply a little pressure but not much is necessary at all if you take good care of the auger blades. Another tip try not to leave your battery pack out in the real cold overnight. When in use it is always a good idea to keep the powerhead and battery pack out of free standing water. At the end of the year a good idea would be to take the auger off of the power head and apply some grease to the shaft and store your auger somewhere where it won’t get damaged. Then fully charge the battery pack and store it away until next season in a decent place. The 40V will last many years if a bit of care is taken…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dao wrote:</div>

James, the only thing stopping me from changing over from my gas Laser is the need to keep the batteries warm while on the ice. I know the Ion batteries drain when they get cold. What have you noticed with these batteries while you’ve had them on the ice?

Al Case

“The 40V is an amazing auger. I think I’m all but done using gas.”
    James, in what conditions do you consider a gas auger a better option, considering your statement “all but done”?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

“The 40V is an amazing auger. I think I’m all but done using gas.” poop
    James, in what conditions do you consider a gas auger a better option, considering your statement “all but done”?

Don’t know, haven’t found one yet. When electrics first came out they really fell short on the number of holes that would deliver for guys like me that moved around alot, particularly when the ice got very thick. A great reference would be lake trout fishing in March. However, after using nothing but the 40V last year on Lake of the Woods in March I still wouldn’t reach for a gas auger, even in that scenario.

So when I say “I’ve all but given up on gas” I’m leaving the door open but I have not found a scenario yet that would cause me to even bring a gas auger along on a trip. I own two gas augers yet, but they haven’t seen the light of day in a long time.

Gobbler

What blades are you to order for replacement,want to pick up spares but it doesn’t explain well on website

Lewy

Does anybody have insite on the Strike Master lithium 50 volt system. My battery reads charge but it will not charge. I think it’s in sleep mode, how do I boost the battery or is it shot?

CaptainMusky

My buddys ion drilled 6 holes in one day on lake of the woods last hurrah ice season last year end of March. It took about 15 minutes to get the last 2 holes drilled. We fished 1 line each in the last spot. I wanted to bring my solo but he said no. Then I was pissed after this. Yes the ice was horrendously thick and he kept the battery in an insulated cooler while traveling. Not impressed with battery augers yet.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

The 40V is legit. Used many augers and I’ve been very pleased with this one. Makes drilling holes so much quicker by not having to start your auger each time. Plus drilling in the ice castle is 100 times better. No loud noise on your ears and no need to open windows to get the fumes out. Only time I see myself using my solo is going to be up on Lake Winnipeg in March. The 40v would probably work fine, but would eat through the batteries pretty good with 4 feet of ice like last year.

And should add to this, I use the 10″ and have no issues with it cutting in thick ice.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

what are some do’s and don’ts to this auger. I understand the battery stuff but what about putting weight on it as its cutting so forth. I would like to be able to take care of mine without ruining the head or blades to bad.

Just let the drill do the work. Do not apply weight when drilling, this can lead to binding of the drill.
    The 40V is amazing, best part is that any older lazer bit is interchangeable on the 40V. So a old 10″ bit can easily be swapped out for a 8″ if necessary.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

What blades are you to order for replacement,want to pick up spares but it doesn’t explain well on website

Whatever size auger you have is the size of the blades.

Gobbler

I understand that but on their web site when you look at the blades the will tell you what auger they are used on but the 40 volt is not listed on any lists, some say hand auger, 50 volt, gas, etc. But none state the 40 volt

Bigwalleye30
    MN

It’s just the standard power lazer blades. The auger bottom and blades are the same as the lazer pro/mag augers.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>COLE M BONNER wrote:</div>

Just let the drill do the work. Do not apply weight when drilling, this can lead to binding of the drill.
    The 40V is amazing, best part is that any older lazer bit is interchangeable on the 40V. So a old 10″ bit can easily be swapped out for a 8″ if necessary.

So if you already have a gas Lazer can you buy just the 40V head for 1/2 price??? lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.