New Sonar

• Logan Tulip

I currently have a FL-18, but i’m considering upgrading and keeping my old unit for my dad. I’ve thought about the higher end units from vexilar and marcum and I’ve also thought about stepping into the world of LCD screen displays from hummingbird and Garmin etc. Planning on getting a boat next spring so I think a unit I could use on the ice and out on the soft water wouldn’t be too bad of an idea either. Any suggestions on a unit for both soft and hard water or should I just stick to the Vexilar or Marcum for ice fishing and buy a separate unit next spring?

Cameron white

I currently have a FL-18, but i’m considering upgrading and keeping my old unit for my dad. I’ve thought about the higher end units from vexilar and marcum and I’ve also thought about stepping into the world of LCD screen displays from hummingbird and Garmin etc. Planning on getting a boat next spring so I think a unit I could use on the ice and out on the soft water wouldn’t be too bad of an idea either. Any suggestions on a unit for both soft and hard water or should I just stick to the Vexilar or Marcum for ice fishing and buy a separate unit next spring?

I can tell you this.. after playing with my Garmin 73 plus, how anyone can justify paying the same if not more for a vex, marcum or bird flasher is beyond me. Make the jump. Garmin is space-x. The others are Apollo capsules from the 60’s.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

All depends on what kind of units you want to run on your boat in the open water. I would use a 7″ or possibly 9″ version for the ice. I would suggest garmin or humminbird.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

All depends on what kind of units you want to run on your boat in the open water. I would use a 7″ or possibly 9″ version for the ice. I would suggest garmin or humminbird.

X2

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Helix 7 lithium shuttle for ice and goes on my bow open water
    helix 7

Kirk Ondracek

I’m in the bout that nothing will replace a true “flasher”. I have a Garmin livescope, Marcum lx9, lx5, and showdown, Humminbird ice45, and a Lowrance elite ti 7. I can say i love my Livescope to find fish and i use on my boat even. However I use the lx9 or the Lx5 the most once im set up in a portable or a permanent house. For run and gunning i use the ice 45. They all have their pluses and minuses. For the lcd screens ive noticed they take a lot of battery power. I would say the elite ti and the humminbird helix 7 are very similar. I have friends with the helix and we compared each side by side. They are ok. nice for multi use but you figure out Quick its good for both but not great.
    just a opinion. If you have any questions i can try and answer on those units

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Logan Tulip wrote:</div>

I can tell you this.. after playing with my Garmin 73 plus, how anyone can justify paying the same if not more for a vex, marcum or bird flasher is beyond me. Make the jump. Garmin is space-x. The others are Apollo capsules from the 60’s.

Dang! I was just thinking about flashers and looking at garmin ice bundles/kits. I have a 73 sv and about to pull the trigger on livescope kit for it. Ya put me over the top so I pulled the trigger.

Side note
    I loved my fl18 but I was in a position that I needed to sell it. It went to a great guy on IDO.

Logan Tulip

Dont need anyhting too high tech, just looking for either side or down imaging and the gps etc. I’m just a 17 year old kid and need money for other things than stuff like Garmin Panoptix for example lol.

Cameron white

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cameron white wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Logan Tulip wrote:</div>

Dang! I was just thinking about flashers and looking at garmin ice bundles/kits. I have a 73 sv and about to pull the trigger on livescope kit for it. Ya put me over the top so I pulled the trigger.

Side note
    I loved my fl18 but I was in a position that I needed to sell it. It went to a great guy on IDO.

I’ve had ice fishing sonar back from the sitex era. I love flashers. But Garmin is next level. Take the livescope and panoptix out of it even. Just using it with the normal transducer, it’s such a feature packed unit. Pair it with an amped lifepo4 battery, unbeatable in my opinion. Amped is coming out with even more configurations this year….

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Last year I pulled the trigger on the Helix 7 Mega SI and Ice Bundle. I think I ordered it off the hummingbird factory store. All I can say is that it is the perfect combo with my FL-20. I use the Helix all year round and it is a nice change of pace for ice fishing plus you have the lake maps on the ice now. I will say that open water I wish I had the Helix 9 but for an all year round unit I am very happy. You start dividing the cost for the unit over a year and it was very reasonable. Only thing I did not get was the lithium battery for my Helix during ice fishing but I will have that this year.

That is my two cents!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m just a 17 year old kid and need money for other things than stuff like Garmin Panoptix for example lol.

This is the important part, money matters.

I have flashers and now a Helix 7 that is dual purpose hard and soft water. I can wax on about how I like the right tool for the job blah blah. However I’ve built this inventory over 10 years and have a lot more disposable income than when I was starting out.

When it comes down to bang for the buck there’s really one choice if you need it for all seasons. LCD and probably a 7″ screen. What you don’t want to do is go up to a 9″ screen. More money but worse, an even bigger battery hog. A little ford vs chevy for Garmin vs the Hbird Helix 7 SI. Good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.