New regs coming for ML

• Ripjiggen

whistling
    The mismanagement continues.

Minnesota is planning to notably liberalize the walleye harvest on Mille Lacs Lake starting Aug. 16 under a proposed rule change that would allow a daily bag limit of two fish per licensed angler within a harvest slot of 18 to 20 inches.

State fisheries chief Brad Parsons proposed the move during a meeting Monday of the Mille Lacs Lake Fisheries Advisory Committee in Isle, Minn. It’s not official yet, he said, but that’s where the Department of Natural Resources is headed.

“It’s not a done, done, done deal,” he said, but Parsons appeared confident that the change will be made.

Since opening day of this year’s inland walleye fishing season, Mille Lacs anglers have only been allowed to target walleyes on a catch-and-release basis. The season-long plan — designed to keep the state within its 2024 harvest quota of 91,550 pounds — was to shift on Aug. 16 to a bag limit of one walleye between 21-23 inches.

The idea of loosening the bag limit Aug. 16 to two walleyes within the friendlier harvest slot of 18-20 inches was borne out of missed harvest projections by DNR. At this point of the season, the DNR was expecting to be more than halfway to its safe allowable harvest quota. Instead, the year-to-date harvest stands at only 26% of the total, Parsons said.

Mille Lacs fishing guide Tony Roach, a member of the advisory committee, said the proposed two-walleye bag limit will have an immediate, positive effect on his bookings starting Aug. 16. Another plus for anglers this fall on Mille Lacs will be a change allowing for late-night fishing, potentially starting Sept. 1. DNR plans to announce the changes in an upcoming news release. One aspect of the proposed new rule would allow anglers to keep one walleye of more than 28 inches as part of their two-fish limit

Parsons said weather and walleye catch rates for the 2024 season didn’t play out like fisheries managers were expecting. For starters, meteorologists were predicting a hot, dry summer — a variable that was expected to result in considerable walleye mortality during the catch-and-release season. Those incidental deaths of caught-and-released fish count against the state’s harvest quota. When temps are high, the mortality rates spike.

Parsons said DNR correctly predicted a strong walleye bite with high catch rates for the first six weeks of the season. But suddenly — and perhaps because the volume of forage fish surged in the lake — catch rates dropped dramatically in late June and early July, he said. High catch rates would have increased the so-called hooking mortality during the catch-and-release season.

Moreover, DNR assumed fishing pressure would decline 10% year-over-year in 2024. Instead, fishing pressure plunged 25%.

“Fishing pressure has been one-third what we projected,” he said.

Several people at the meeting criticized Parsons and his fisheries staff for being too conservative and badly overestimating this year’s walleye harvest. The catch-and-release restriction has had a chilling effect on area businesses, they said.

“You guys screwed up,” said Steve Johnson, owner of Johnson’s Portside Bait & Liquor in Isle.

Parsons said the DNR can’t ease walleye catch limits before Aug. 16 because of advance-notification rules that govern the co-management of Mille Lacs shared between the state and eight Ojibwe bands that maintain hunting and fishing rights. The parties meet annually to set a safe allowable harvest limit for long-term conservation.

Parsons told the group he is in favor of longer-range harvest limits that would be set and monitored over a period of years. He also said the DNR needs to set contingency plans at the start of each season that would allow for loosening regulations sooner than mid-August if the walleye harvest is below projections.

JEREMY
    BP

That place is so F ed up im glad I rarely go there.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

“You guys screwed up,” said Steve Johnson, owner of Johnson’s Portside Bait & Liquor in Isle.

Big thanks goes out to guys like Steve who show up to these meetings and make his views known. Without them, nothing changes!

-J.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

What’s F ed up is those that set the Reg’s (DNR) and those that tell the DNR what to do (Politicians). “That Place” is having some fantastic fishing and is far from F ed up. The resort, bar/restaurant, guides, small business owners would love to see the traffic as they had nothing to do with the No Keep limit.

Ripjiggen

Big thanks goes out to guys like Steve who show up to these meetings and make his views known. Without them, nothing changes!

-J.

X2

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That place is so F ed up im glad I rarely go there.

The place itself isn’t F’d up, it’s all the other BS. Give me a river any day over the chaos of a “co” managed lake oozing with politics.

I feel for resort/business owners, but they’re going to have to make tough decisions in years to come as the precedent has been set and nothing is going to dramatically change.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

There were plenty of boats on the flats the 3 times I went in June.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

A complete 180 from their assessment this spring. We went from no forage to a surge in forage. We mille lacs fisherman all new that was inaccurate this spring. What a joke. They could at least admit they were wrong and apologize to the businesses who’s income were affected by their decisions.

dirtywater

They could at least admit they were wrong and apologize to the businesses who’s income were affected by their decisions.

Apologize? Admit they were wrong? Somehow I don’t think that would go too far with the affected business. Actions speak louder than words and at least they are doing something. It’s a mess but I’d rather them pivot at 8/16 than never.

If I were the DNR reading this thread I’d just throw my arms up. Because this group will b*tch and moan no matter what the DNR does.

Ripjiggen

If I were the DNR reading this thread I’d just throw my arms up. Because this group will b*tch and moan no matter what the DNR does.

You can’t be serious with this statement can you?

So you think it is being managed well and with honesty?

dirtywater

You can’t be serious with this statement can you?

So you think it is being managed well and with honesty?

I didn’t say that at all. But what they’re doing now is what a lot of people felt they should’ve done this spring. Now they’re doing it and everyone is still mad. So tell me— with the current system which they do not have the power to change on their own, what could the DNR do on ML that would not make this group complain about them?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    They could at least admit they were wrong and apologize to the businesses who’s income were affected by their decisions.

Apologize? Admit they were wrong? Somehow I don’t think that would go too far with the affected business. Actions speak louder than words and at least they are doing something. It’s a mess but I’d rather them pivot at 8/16 than never.

You must be kidding? An apology would be better than nothing. They could admit their mistakes and explain how they’ll prevent this in the future. They screwed up and cost people untold amounts of money. Are we supposed to applaud them?

Deuces

There was always a part of me that wanted to beleive there was some science involved in the process of management to the lake.

This year, undoubtedly proves the science has very lil to do with it.

I also feel that anglers negative attitudes towards the lake is just as devastating to the local economy as the regs themselves. There’s a big difference between criticism for a management plan and straight biatching and refusing to visit or fish it whatsoever.

Ripjiggen

I didn’t say that at all. But what they’re doing now is what a lot of people felt they should’ve done this spring. Now they’re doing it and everyone is still mad. So tell me— with the current system which they do not have the power to change on their own, what could the DNR do on ML that would not make this group complain about them?

A. Grow a pair and have better negotiating skills from the start.

B. Manage the pounds accordingly. This could have been open much sooner.

C. Stop leaving thousands of pounds at the end of a season. Like they have for the past 5 years.

D. Stop with the lies.

Ripjiggen

Here are the pounds that the state has left on the table from their awesome regs.

2023 40k of 100k
    2022 65k of 80k
    2021 35k of 87k
    2020 20k of 87k

The state angler has left 48 percent of the allowable harvest in the lake over the last four years alone.
    Willing to bet we do this year as well.
    If I were to produce at a 50 percent clip at my job. Well I wouldn’t have a job.

I am happy that they are opening up harvest, but as you can see it should have been open from the beginning.

Might be time for a new plan.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

A. Grow a pair and have better negotiating skills from the start.

B. Manage the pounds accordingly. This could have been open much sooner.

C. Stop leaving thousands of pounds at the end of a season. Like they have for the past 5 years.

D. Stop with the lies.

Lets at least start with this!

dirtywater

Here are the pounds that the state has left on the table from their awesome regs.

2023 40k of 100k
    2022 65k of 80k
    2021 45k of 87k
    2020 20k of 87k

The state angler has left 48 percent of the allowable harvest in the lake over the last four years alone.
    Willing to bet we do this year as well.
    If I were to produce at a 50 percent clip at my job. Well I wouldn’t have a job.

I am happy that they are opening up harvest, but as you can see it should have been open from the beginning.

Might be time for a new plan.

I really can’t argue with any of that. I’m not a DNR shill here. I’m merely reminding folks that we can’t go back in time. The comanagement agreement is not something the DNR can just flip a switch on and change on their own.

I’m not talking about anything in the past, not even earlier this year. Im talking about this single decision today, which I believe was a good one. Not talking about whether it should have or could have been made sooner, or whether they have been transparent or honest at every step. I’m looking at one thing that I see as a positive for the rest of this fishing season. Nothing more.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Ripjiggen for Fisheries Chief and/or DNR Commish!!! You have my vote. Way more common sense and spine than the cowards (and I’m being nice) Parsons and Strommen.

They take away something that shouldn’t have been taken away, and the DNR, and some here, think we should be grateful for returning it. Instead of seeing the Munchausen syndrome that it is.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I love it when people say they are going to stay as far away from the lake as possible. Less pressure is fine by this guy. There’s enough of it as it is whenever I’m out there it seems.

I haven’t been out there since May so I can’t comment on how good or poor the bite has been for either walleye or smallmouth. I hope to go back out there in Sept/Oct when the water cools off though.

Thanks for the update on the regs Ripjiggen. I’m glad they’re doing this, albeit a little late. I’m not really there specifically to harvest any fish but if I happen to catch one in that 2 inch slot I might consider keeping it.

I also believe some transparency would be beneficial.

Ripjiggen

I really can’t argue with any of that. I’m not a DNR shill here. I’m merely reminding folks that we can’t go back in time. The comanagement agreement is not something the DNR can just flip a switch on and change on their own.”

They do have the power to set the regs according to their allowable harvest however. Which they clearly have swung and missed.

“I’m not talking about anything in the past, not even earlier this year. Im talking about this single decision today, which I believe was a good one. Not talking about whether it should have or could have been made sooner, or whether they have been transparent or honest at every step. I’m looking at one thing that I see as a positive for the rest of this fishing season. Nothing more.”

I hear ya.

Ripjiggen

Ripjiggen for Fisheries Chief and/or DNR Commish!!! You have my vote. Way more common sense and spine than the cowards (and I’m being nice) Parsons and Strommen.

They take away something that shouldn’t have been taken away, and the DNR, and some here, think we should be grateful for returning it. Instead of seeing the Munchausen syndrome that it is.

Hard pass. lol

3Rivers

Just remember, the top positions within the Dept are appointed by the Gov and it all trickles down. ;)

Y’all know what it’s going to take to change things….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just remember, the top positions within the Dept are appointed by the Gov and it all trickles down. ;)

Y’all know what it’s going to take to change things….

Yeah, that’s why I was really hoping Walz would be named VP, and Peggy head of BIA or something….

dirtywater

What can I say I’m just a sheep!

I never said anything about grateful for the record. I just don’t see anything new to complain about here. I’m forward thinking only, and this will be better for the resorts and anglers for the rest of the season than if they had not made the change. Hence I see no reason to complain today. I’ll save my whining for something that deserves it.

Also: I don’t know what you had in mind, but Munchausen is something very different than what you compared it to.

Edit: I think maybe you meant Stockholm syndrome. Either way I don’t have it ;)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For those who think this was ok’d by the band please send your thank you notes to:

Mille Lacs Band DNR
    17238 Noopiming Dr, Onamia, MN 56359

To those who believe this is a gift from the Minnesota DNR……I’m sorry.

Upnorth85

Yo it’s your least favorite tribal fisheries manager here.
    First, where you getting those harvest numbers?
    try this:
    2024 – 24,142/91,500 pounds (as of July 15th)
    2023 – 62,525/100,300 pounds
    2022 – 15,558/80,300 pounds
    2021 – 53,485/87,800 pounds

Not that it’s what ya’ll want to see, but at least it’s factual.

Another fact, the tribes have no say in angling regulations, none. Once the quota is set the DNR makes the regs. The tribes can object, but never do. We fully support, even celebrate this 2 fish limit. This is good news. We would have supported a 1 fish limit all year.
    With the lack of forage this spring we actually hoped both the tribes and the state would reach quota.

So what the hell happened?
    Catch rates, two things happened:
    1) The DNR catchability variable must be flawed, it’s been low three years in a row. I don’t know much about it, the tribes are not part of that process.
    2) Large forage influx, I’ve heard there may be a healthy Cisco (lake herring/tulibee) year class brewing. This is also good news. It’s been 10 years since we had a strong Cisco year class. This is great news for the lake. It also depressed catch rates. No body could have predicted this.
    Water temperatures:
    During May and June when the bite was bomber, water temps stayed cool. This both further contributed to decreased catch rates, it also decreased hooking mortality. So far this summer HM has been very low ~4% last I checked.

These factors have led there to be a lot of angler quota being left. The DNR has changed course and opened up the 2 fish limit. This is good news.
    Yes, with the benefit of hindsight, there could have been a 1 fish limit all summer, but I was stoked this recent change happened, I was surprised to see all the negativity. I am very excited for this fall, busy launches, a good bite, and fish for the freezer for state anglers, something that’s been missing for awhile.

I am very involved with the Mille Lacs fisheries conundrum, happy to attempt to answer any reasonable questions.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

80% of my catch this year has been between 18 and 22 inches. People should be able to catch some in the 18-20 inch slot unless now they’ve grown 2 inches. rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t be surprised. There are very few people left in Minnesota that believe anything associated with Mille Lacs.

Ripjiggen

“Yo it’s your least favorite tribal fisheries manager here.
    First, where you getting those harvest numbers?
    try this:
    2024 – 24,142/91,500 pounds (as of July 15th)
    2023 – 62,525/100,300 pounds
    2022 – 15,558/80,300 pounds
    2021 – 53,485/87,800 pounds”

Not least favorite by any means.

I rounded my numbers and put what was left on the table vs posting what was harvested like you did. So not harvest numbers. LBs left on the table at the end of the year. They virtually equal the same give or take of less than 1k for my rounding. I know reading can be hard for you science guys. jester just kidding

Yes I took my numbers straight from the DNR source itself. With rounding of course because I was flipping from page to page and frankly 1k doesn’t make a difference what so ever in either side of the rounding. Or at least for the sake of this argument.
    I adjusted my simple math for 2021 but doesn’t change the argument.

“So what the hell happened?
    Catch rates, two things happened:
    1) The DNR catchability variable must be flawed, it’s been low three years in a row. I don’t know much about it, the tribes are not part of that process.”

One of my gripes and fixes that I mentioned.

“2) Large forage influx, I’ve heard there may be a healthy Cisco (lake herring/tulibee) year class brewing.”

See it with my own eyes or should I say electronics. Good news for sure.

Not being negative just pointing out the current and past flaws of the refs set.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.