New Ram 1500 opinions

• snelson223
    Austin MN

Looking at the new ram trucks. Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it? Any likes or dislikes? Thanks

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

get the eco diesel.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a 2017 Big Horn with the 5.7 liter and 6’4” box and love it! It takes about 20 minutes to use the dash GPS, that would be my one complaint. But the 6 speed transmission is a step up and I get 21 mpg on the highway and 16 city which is a few mpg higher than my 2011. I put 130k on my 2011 and got a great deal trading it in and had no problems with that 5.7 Hemi.

Karry Kyllo

I have a 2017 Big Horn with the 5.7 liter and 6’4” box and love it! It takes about 20 minutes to use the dash GPS, that would be my one complaint. But the 6 speed transmission is a step up and I get 21 mpg on the highway and 16 city which is a few mpg higher than my 2011. I put 130k on my 2011 and got a great deal trading it in and had no problems with that 5.7 Hemi.

I have the exact same truck and previously had a 2014 RAM. Love it also.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a 2017 with a 5.7 Hemi and I absolutely love it the 8-speed tranny is great it is a really nice truck I would suggest the 5.7 over the ecodiesel.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Uconnect?
    I’m on my 2nd Ram and both have had issues with the Uconnect system. Drives me freakin nuts.

Terry Heese

Like the original poster, I too would like to hear any likes/dislikes about the new (2019) Ram, especially experience with the e-torque system. Tks

Smellson

Dad got the 2019 ram with the hemi several months ago and loves it (big Horn). I love my 2015 but the 2019 has a lot a nice little improvements. He didn’t get the e-torque system mostly due to supply issues so I can’t comment on that. Seems like they’ve fixed the little things I don’t like about my 2015 (went to an electric ebrake, backup camera is viewable when driving and also has an additional down angle to see when you are aligned over the top of a trailer hitch). Reviews between manufacturers seems like Ford and Ram lead the 1/2 ton category with Chevy really dropping off.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Also interested in this thread. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 V6 Quad Cab that I bought new at the time, 75,000 miles on it now. Love the truck. But am looking to upgrade sometime in the next few months to a Crew Cab with a 6.4 box.

Any reviews on the Crew Cab and 6.4 box, rather than what is now the more standard 5.7 box? I need the Crew Cab for a growing family, we will soon have 3 car seats. And I really do not want to give up the foot of box space either, when we take hunting trips, etc. in other trucks, I can really notice the space difference in the bed in others trucks with the 5.7 box.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How are the Dodges price wise vs the Fords?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

How are the Dodges price wise vs the Fords?

The Rams were always cheaper when I was shopping last spring

404 ERROR
    MN

Dad bought a 19 limited with e-torque. He loves it and says it a good truck, but not without issues. Small cosmetic issues inside and out and some sort of issue with the air suspension not working automatically. MSRP is inline with other brands, but dealers tack on huge discounts and incentives. You could save as much as 8-10k over a similar equipped Ford or GM if you find the right dealer and the right truck…I’ve never been one to want a Dodge, but I’m slowly warming up…

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

there are good discounts available right now. they released the 2019 model year early in 2018, so i think there’s probably oversupply right now? deals to be had…

one thing i’d encourage you to look at is a model with the air suspension system. i’ve had this on my last two Rams (2015 and 2017 Rebels) and it is absolutely the cat’s meow. if you tow a boat or utility trailer very often i think this feature separates Ram from the other brands in that you can get this stock rather than adding them at higher cost aftermarket.
    i can lower my truck, back my hitch up under the trailer using the rear camera, and then raise the truck back up to put the ball into the hitch. no need to use the hand crank on the trailer other than stowing it after i’m connected! it also has an auto-leveling feature, so when your boat or other trailer pushes the back of your truck down, it will stiffen and raise up the rear suspension so that your truck runs flat. really, really great feature.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Just traded in my 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel (3rd Dodge diesel owned), and picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman – V8 5.7L gasser. So far it seems to be working fine. Going to add nerf steps and a fiberglass topper. Got sick of paying top dollar for diesel fuel.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

So Eagle, finally comin over to the winning side!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve never been a dodge guy. After test driving the Ford GMC and my truck, the GMC and ram were a close decision. But ram made my mind up with discounts. And I haven’t regretted it once. Till next winter and I dont have fenders due to the terrible dodge rot

404 ERROR
    MN

So Eagle, finally comin over to the winning side!

Not so fast batman…The Ole’ 11 Ferd will need to be in a scrap yard before that happens. Let’s address this in about a year. rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve never been a dodge guy. After test driving the Ford GMC and my truck, the GMC and ram were a close decision. But ram made my mind up with discounts. And I haven’t regretted it once. Till next winter and I dont have fenders due to the terrible dodge rot

I keep waiting for signs my ’14 Dodge is rusting but so far so good.
    Now my 2 Fords on the other hand…………….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Uconnect?

Yeah, works great for Bluetooth off my phone, but the GPS sucks and I usually just use my phone. Dodge are a much lower price point than Ford/Chevy from what I saw. After I got my truck my Dad got a 2019, and has probably only put 100 miles on it so not much to go off of but seems to like it so far. Not sure if his has the e-torque or not.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

terrible dodge rot
    I keep waiting for signs my ’14 Dodge

Yeah I think they resolved that for the most part, my 2011 didn’t have any rot/rust when I traded it in.

Reef W

Another factor, if it’s a vehicle you will keep for a long time, is FCA has lifetime warranties available. Mine covers everything that the original bumper to bumper would, not just powertrain, and has $100 deductible. I haven’t had many problems but I just brought my 2013 with 100k miles in to get the windshield wiper motor replaced. Also had the transmission cooler and lines replaced at about 80k.

Edit: I just googled this and they might have discontinued selling new lifetime plans

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I keep waiting for signs my ’14 Dodge is rusting but so far so good.
    Now my 2 Fords on the other hand…………….
    [/quote]

That’s good I’m glad to hear that. I plan on keeping it awhile

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnrabbit wrote:</div>
    There must be some good Ram and Dealer incentives going on right now on new 2019s?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2019-Ram-1500-c27482#listing=218408655

This one is a 2019 but “classic” (old body style). Would imagine you could get a pretty good discount on the “classic”

As opposed to this body style?
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2019-Ram-1500-c27482#listing=205583130

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

terrible dodge rot

Honest question, have the huge rust issues REALLY been resolved for Dodge and Ford?

My father’s 2007 GMC has not a spot of rust on it, where I routinely see Fords and Dodge trucks that are 4-5+ years newer that are rusting all to hell. There seems to be a generation of Fords out there that rust very badly where the cab ends and the box starts.

And of course Dodge has the “Dodge Rot” in the usual places as well.

Has any of this honestly been fixed? To me it’s a total sign of bad design and quality to be producing trucks in 201X years that are rusting all hell after 5-6 years. Are Ford and Dodge still stuck in 1977 on this rust issue or have they figured it out?

Grouse

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Are Ford and Dodge still stuck in 1977 on this rust issue or have they figured it out?

It’s hard to get around the basic chemistry involved as long as they keep making trucks out of steel: Iron + Oxygen + Moisture = Rust. Add some salt to the water for fast oxidation and things speed right along. Paint and protective coatings work great to keep the metal covered, but you’ve got to do your part too. The ones that I see that are “rotted all to hell” are also dinged and banged up causing breaks in the paint so the metal is exposed. Shocking. Don’t let the metal parts get exposed, and if you get a ding or scratch fix it immediately. And $10/week at the car wash does wonders in the winter.

KP
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    terrible dodge rot

Honest question, have the huge rust issues REALLY been resolved for Dodge and Ford?

Not trying to turn this into a what truck is better and what truck sucks but I have a 2012 F150 and it has zero rust. But I will agree its how you take care of it. I get car washes regularly and make sure to hand dry my truck after. You do see Ram trucks on the road with rust spots around the wheel wells and the tailgates. Not sure why that is.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Pretty sure new Fords won’t have any rust issues considering their bodies are now aluminum.

404 ERROR
    MN

There seems to be a generation of Fords out there that rust very badly where the cab ends and the box starts.

The 09-14 rot there when the 3rd brake light leaks and water runs down and gets trapped in the lower cab corners. The dealer will actually replace the 3rd brake and/or seal for free if it leaks. I actually took my 3rd brake light off and screwed a UHMW plate I made in it’s place and sealed with silicone (I have a topper).

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.