NEW Otter XT Cabin HELP

• TripleA
    Blaine

I am installing the Trim pieces that hold the fabric to the sled. I am unsure how to properly install the trim pieces that go on the front of the sled on the inside of the house. I believe they hold the wind skirting, but the skirting has Velcro and if I screw the trim pieces on the interior skirting the Velcro would not serve a purpose. Does anyone have a picture of the inside of their newer otter or recommendations? Thanks!

Kfactor

I just got the otter pro xt 1200 lodge and I found the instructions not to detailed. And was not a big fan of putting screws through the Canvas to hold it to the sled that’s just me. But as for the sled it is amazing

TripleA
    Blaine

what did you do on the inside of the sled? How does the windskirt inside attach?

Kfactor

I just used the clips that came with it to attach it to the sled there the same ones that hold the main canvas the the sled

TripleA
    Blaine

Did you do it the same as on the outside trim pieces? What is the point in having the Velcro in the middle of the windskirt if its always screwed on?

Crappy Fisherman

You don’t need to screw the trim on. Most people don’t. A lot of people like to remove the tent for summer storage. Just clip it over the edge of the tub it will hold fine.

Scott Newman

The inside trim you shouldn’t need to screw in , just use the clips , from what I remember it was a weird bend to secure it onto the lip of the sled , but it worked out / made sense after playing around with it…. The back trim i screwed in through clips into the sled

TripleA
    Blaine

The inside trim you shouldn’t need to screw in , just use the clips , from what I remember it was a weird bend to secure it onto the lip of the sled , but it worked out / made sense after playing around with it…. The back trim i screwed in through clips into the sled

I understand and thanks for all the help fellas. I will have to stop by thorne bros and take a look at one as the instructions are not clear on that interior trim, it wants you to install the trim and screws yet still allow the Velcro/skirting to open. This makes no sense. I think Otter needs to look over their directions sometime soon, even the illustrations are not clear. For being the “best” in the market better instructions would polish the product. Thanks for the replies!

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Scott Newman wrote:</div>

I understand and thanks for all the help fellas. I will have to stop by thorne bros and take a look at one as the instructions are not clear on that interior trim, it wants you to install the trim and screws yet still allow the Velcro/skirting to open. This makes no sense. I think Otter needs to look over their directions sometime soon, even the illustrations are not clear. For being the “best” in the market better instructions would polish the product. Thanks for the replies!

I recently built a 1200 lodge. I could not agree more that the instructions are the worst overall. They should put a you tube video out on how to assemble. Even the worst produced video would be better than their written instructions.

I used the screws to hold the fabric all the way around. the wind skirt on the inside. I first adjusted so that it would lay well and block the wind and the used the screws for the tabs.

I also had a real difficult time wrestling with pulling the fabric over the frame and positioning. The instructions were no help with this too.

I like the final product but never want to put one together again.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

I am getting nervous now about putting my cabin together (

Crappy Fisherman

I am getting nervous now about putting my cabin together (

Mike don’t get nervous, just bring it over to my house. I’ll put it together for you and drop it off at your house in May!!!

Scott Newman

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/instructions/200872-XT1200Cabin_Nov2013.pdf

Page 11 is your inside trim , I don’t see anywhere it telling you to attach the self tapping screws (on the inside)

Page 10 is the view from the outside Diagram 18 (outside trim) and Detail A go over the self tapping screws *NOTE OPTIONAL* on the outside. If you are going to take the canvas off ever I would leave them off … I put mine in and feel like it holds everything really well.

I had to build 2 of these 1 Lodge ( too big for my Jeep) and 1 Cabin … the Cabin went a lot smoother.

Scott Newman

The instructions were pretty good / straigh forward in my experience —

Page 11 is your interior trim — there are no mentions of using the self-tapping screws here

Page 10 is your outside trim detail A shows how you want to secure the screws through the trim (Optional)

TripleA
    Blaine

thanks. I will try with and without the trim.

TripleA
    Blaine

thanks. I will try with and without the trim. on the inside

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

It’s been a couple years since I put my last Otter together, but as someone who’s assembled a crib, toddler bed, play-set, and anything from IKEA that my wife has brought home over the past two years of our transition into parenthood I can assure you that the Otter instructions make much more sense than most. That said I do know that they’re planning to come out with a set of Youtube instructions.

I also have one in my garage that needs to be assembled since I’m making the switch back to a bench seat this year with the two future fishing partners at home. I’ll report back once I have a chance to put it together.

The good news is that unless you decide to upgrade in the future you’ll only have to do it once because over my close to 20 years owning Otters (I feel old now) I’ve put mine through the ringer many times and never broken one.

Will

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Two tips for setup is don’t tighten the velcro straps around the poles all the way. Leave them loose. Also, before you put the tarp on put loc-tite or silicone on the screws that hold the support poles together or you can wrap electrical tape around them to keep the screws from falling out should they ever come loose. I used a couple zip ties to secure the ends of the trim lock to the tub.

TripleA
    Blaine

I think I figured out why many people may not understand why I am having trouble. It appears on the PRO sleds the interior trim is ALREADY CONNECTED TO THE FABRIC, so you simply “snap” it in place. With the standard otter XT cabin the trim piece is SEPARATE from the fabric, thus the issues I have wondering about the trim being secure/ using screws. I am guessing that’s why many people say they don’t screw the trim in place, is it physically attached to the fabric on the outside pieces as well? Because without using the screws if a piece falls off in tow it is long gone. I noticed this while inspecting a PRO model at Thorne Bros. I could be wrong but others will chime in I’m sure!

TripleA
    Blaine

Will- I am assuming you have a non-pro unit since it has the bench seat. I am very interested I what you find. If my statements above are correct than the page 12 in the instructions is not correct for standard XT units. Or at least not very clear.

TripleA
    Blaine

I contacted OTTER. The standard XT models interior trim pieces are not connected to the fabric like with the PRO models. Kinda dumb. But I will just add the screws. That’s why the instructions did not make sense. Thanks for all the replies!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Will- I am assuming you have a non-pro unit since it has the bench seat. I am very interested I what you find. If my statements above are correct than the page 12 in the instructions is not correct for standard XT units. Or at least not very clear.

Now I understand what’s causing the confusion. With the new Otters this year the plastic trim is not sewn directly to the canvas for either the XT or XT Pro series. This allows for the canvas to have a great fit right out of the box and cuts down on any break in period where in the past the canvas could start out tight for a few trips before it was broken in.

I will drop a note to Otter to make sure they are aware that this step in the instructions is causing confusion.

Will

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.