New otter and smitty sled are ready for ice

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Built a new smitty sled last weekend and put together the otter cottage. Shes all ready to go. Spent a little time figuring out the best way to get my auger, big buddy, flasher, tackle, seat and other items in the sled and must say it’s a challenge to get it all in the cottage sled but I think I found a way that will work. This will be my first year using a smitty sled and I think it will be a big help!

Attachments:
    1. 20151217_202802.jpg

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It will make a huge difference. I would connect the rope to the tips of the skis for lift.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Thats a good idea. You just drill holes in the lifted portion of the skis in front and run the ropes through them?

queenswake
    NULL

I’m about to start on mine. I’ve been thinking about making the smitty wider and longer than the Otter with mounts for an auger elevated above it. And also maybe some sort of system to hold milk crates and/or buckets at the rear for storage of the buddy, fishing poles, etc.

So the Otter would sit in the middle of the smitty with an apparatus around and above it to hold stuff.

I also have to think about how hard/frustrating it will be to get the Otter back onto the smitty out on slick ice.

I need to keep paging through that smitty thread on iceshanty for pics of what I am thinking about doing.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I put this on top of my smitty sled fully loaded in my garage and it was difficult. I thought about how hard that will be on the ice!! I think I would have to load it on the smitty sled empty and stack things in from there which would be a challenge on slippery ice… I’d be interested in seeing some pictures of what you come up with

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

IMO, put a 1×1 between your sled and skis, and a few 1″x10″ boards across the width. Screw them together. Sort of making a ski sled bed. Then screw your otter to the boards.

It’ll pull easily all the time that way. That’s what I do.

Ramps to slide it into truck.

You went overkill on the height IMO. Been there, done that.

Charles

Looks nice man, I have to start mine but with this winter I am not much in a hurry.

Hmm, milk crates? I may have to steal that one.

queenswake
    NULL

Here, this is a thread that shows the types of things I want to do with mounting buckets and an auger rack to the smitty. Most of these are smittys for a much smaller flip-over house, but still can be done. Page through the entire thread to see all of the ideas, but the first picture on the first page is representative, only it would be mounting this to the smitty, not the sled.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=172918.0

AaronMoore

Thats a good idea. You just drill holes in the lifted portion of the skis in front and run the ropes through them?

Yep, have a nice sharp drill bit

catnip
    south metro

Looks great! As far as mounting milk crates and such I used some versa track or something for mounting hooks and things on garage walls. I mounted it to the black sled that sits on the smitty sled. It is strong enough to hold a 20lb propane tank.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Yep. What Icenutz said, eye bolts. Gives you a little lift when pulling helping the skis to ride up higher in soft snow or slush.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Nice work buddy!

Mr crappie already knows but finished mine up the other weekend too.

Attachments:
    1. 20151212_180006.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.