New MN State Record Crappie

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hope I have not been trolled here. But a FB post over the weekend is claiming to have caught the new “Certified Scale” Minnesota state record. Not finding any independent news source. FB or Google search on nolan Sprengeler crappie. Says he is on the Norsk Lithium pro staff so maybe James Holst Nolan can chime in to verify?

17.5 inch – 3 lbs 8.9 oz. Pics look legit.

Congrats!

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nolan Sprengler is the guy who caught the most recent state record muskie (weight) out of Mille Lacs in November 2021.

He’s the guy on the left.

Attachments:
    1. mille-lacs-monster.jpg

3Rivers

I’m surprised by the number of anglers who are not aware that the MNDNR reset a bunch of records this year. In fact there were quite a few discussions here on IDO (people were losing their minds about it on the Facebook posts)

The previous records will be recognized as “non certified” as they were put in place when a certified weight was not required.

There is a minimum weight in order to set a new record, but there are some others that will be broken eventually (including the walleye). I cannot even imagine the internet firestorm that one will create when it happens.

Here’s a link with all the details: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/2024/02/29/minnesota-dnr-makes-changes-record-fish-program#:~:text=Starting%20March%201%2C%20anglers%20can,profile%20of%20native%20rough%20fish.

ThunderLund78

Thought I saw a post about this, too, but haven’t seen any media coverage either. I think there was a pic of it on the scale, as well. She’s a PIG if it’s true. Was Walleye fishing last year when my son’s friend boated a 16″er and that was crazy. When they get that big, they almost look alien-like.

CaptainMusky

The guy actually broke the record twice in the last couple months. There is an article on WJONs website about it and the dip$poop named the lake who wrote the article. RIP to that little lake!

ThunderLund78

Isn’t naming the lake part of the record recording process? I mean I’ve heard rumors about some falsehoods when it came to that part for other record fish, but I think they have to record a location, don’t they?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Isn’t naming the lake part of the record recording process? I mean I’ve heard rumors about some falsehoods when it came to that part for other record fish, but I think they have to record a location, don’t they?

Yes.

CaptainMusky

When the records are published on the DNR site yes they list the lake but it’s generally not mentioned in other articles about them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>

Yes.

I wondered this too when they revised the new state record stuff in March. I checked the form, you must submit the lake name, nearest city/town, and county.

No chance I’m disclosing that information if its a small to medium sized lake. On a big lake or river, then I would. Can you imagine the pressure a smaller lake would receive if they found out a new state record came from it? It would be bumper boats. Not worth it.

Gregg Gunter

My Dad was on the spot when the record walleye was caught. We went to the end of the Gunflint every year and fished Sagatagan and the Seagull River. Dad caught a 13#er on the same day/same spot. His limit weighed about 48# that year. I was out of state, unfortunately. Afterwards the state closed that spot during the spawning season. Catch and release wasn’t a thing back then, everyone just brought home their limit. But that one day happened to align with the big ones being there.

CaptainMusky

Gregg that would have been amazing to be there and see that fish. 13 pounder is huge no less!

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Well that lake is not unknown for decent crappies. But it will be packed this winter.

hossfisher

Wonder if he tried to “revive” it for an hour before killing it for the record like he claimed happened with his Musky.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well that lake is not unknown for decent crappies. But it will be packed this winter.

Be sure to bring FFS, you wouldn’t have a chance of catching a fish without it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You merely have to name “A” lake. Not THE lake.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wonder if he tried to “revive” it for an hour before killing it for the record like he claimed happened with his Musky.

Jealous much? Regardless of efforts made in either case, they are legal takes. So questioning it reflects much more on you, than anything by this angler.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I know where im parking my ice castle with the flag pole and strobe light this winter jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And you have to sign and date your name too, as does at least one witness.

Not sure about you, but I’d rather just keep that information to myself than fabricate a fake location for state record submission with a witness.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Not sure about you, but I’d rather just keep that information to myself than fabricate a fake location for state record submission with a witness.

How does that work for a solo angler ?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I assume it wouldn’t work if you were solo mission. Good question though, as I sometimes fish solo myself.

3Rivers seems to be pretty knowledgable on this subject. Maybe he can help here.

3Rivers

Yes, you need a signature and a witness. All this secret stuff is non-sense. LOL Who cares where ya caught it. I regularly point out the exact spot I caught my record. There ya go, have at it. haha toast

They should include a thick skin requirement on the application form, because trust me, you’ll need it. And this discussion just proves it once again.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes, you need a signature and a witness. All this secret stuff is non-sense. LOL Who cares where ya caught it. I regularly point out the exact spot I caught my record. There ya go, have at it. haha toast

They should include a thick skin requirement on the application form, because trust me, you’ll need it. And this discussion just proves it once again.

Every one has so much hate, I never understand why.
    I get not wanting to sell out a small lake, that’s a different animal then a river. But so much hate on everything else is non sense.

CaptainMusky

Yes, you need a signature and a witness. All this secret stuff is non-sense. LOL Who cares where ya caught it. I regularly point out the exact spot I caught my record. There ya go, have at it. haha They should include a thick skin requirement on the application form, because trust me, you’ll need it. And this discussion just proves it once again.

How many records do you have exactly?

Dan
    Southeast MN

Every one has so much hate, I never understand why.
    I get not wanting to sell out a small lake, that’s a different animal then a river. But so much hate on everything else is non sense.

Ain’t that the truth. So many things in life that are/were supposed to be fun have become that way. Tony Peterson talked about this on a Wired to Hunt podcast about just letting people enjoy the success of what they achieve and not rip someone because they shot a 6-point buck that maybe YOU wouldn’t have.

The world would be a much better place if everyone could operate more with a “to each, their own” mindset as long as it doesn’t bother anyone else or our resources, and occasionally, be happy for others.

CaptainMusky

What are they going to do send in the Feds because you said you caught it somewhere else?

3Rivers

How many records do you have exactly?

I set the original Sturgeon C&R record, and then set it again a few years later.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s not the point. Do you feel comfortable signing and dating a document with a witness on false information about a new state record? I surely don’t.

I’d question someone’s morals on that, and the witness who confirmed it.

CaptainMusky

Its a lake for crying out loud not some International Security Risk.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Its a lake for crying out loud not some International Security Risk.

Idk captain I’ve seen what first hand what happens to small crappie lakes that make outdoor news and it’s not pretty. Tongue in cheek of course a little

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.