New MN Law to effect All Ice Anglers

• toddrun

This is a keep the innocent, innocent, law. Won’t do any good at all.

The a-holes that do this are the same people that say “it ain’t against the law if you don’t get caught”.

Just like texting a driving, I have never heard anyone say the DO text and drive, yet when you drive down the road you see texting and driving all the time.

Good idea, unenforceable, and idiots will be idiots anyways

FinnyDinDin

I can’t say I have ever seen anyone pick up their dogs turds off the ice. Have you beardly? If so which lake? If I saw that I’d be so confused.

I guess that is another advantage of living, hunting and fishing in the country. No need to pick it up and no one cares. I think the only time I have done it is visiting friends in the cities.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Got my attachable trash bucket ready to go!

-J.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1867.jpeg

2. IMG_1868.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You have a cat? hah rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^ rotflol rotflol rotflol i havent had a cat in 30 plus years but somehow accumulated about 6 of them. just like knives one can never have to many buckets….even if my wife disagrees!!!! devil rotflol waytogo

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I went to the ice show this weekend and there were some people educating about this law. So I had to ask about the pee thing. They brought up Red. Said on a busy weekend there can be 10,000 people fishing Red. On a normal day people pee around 2 liters per day. Many pee over a gallon a day when drinking. Many of these people take medications with chemicals coming out in their pee. Yes you are peeing on the ice and not in the water. But once the ice melts everything goes into the water. 12 busy weekends would be around 240,000 gallons of pee entering this one lake every year + who knows what from the medications. Their big thing was they don’t know how all these containments will affect the resource, they know it won’t be in a positivity way, and don’t want to find out the hard way what happens. They see it as a big potential problem and want to be ahead of it.

I did ask the lady if she would feel differently about the pee law if she could easily go pee outside like men. I left very shortly after the look she gave me.

CaptainMusky

Interesting rodwork. I have seen a lot of studies lately about the prescription drugs they have found in various waterways because people flush them or other means. There are also extreme levels of salt because of all the crap they put on the roads. What are they going to do about that?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Are you sure the salt they are finding in the lakes is not from the McDonalds fries that people are peeing out?

I feel the salt issue is a bigger issue than the pee. The salt issue is another problem that many would rather overlook. Most feel they would rather ruin the lakes than slow down because there is ice on the road. Dump more salt! I would be fine if we stopped using salt.

I personally don’t like the pee law. I can see the medication point. Either way I guess I need to find a bucket.

Wildlifeguy

I went to the ice show this weekend and there were some people educating about this law. So I had to ask about the pee thing. They brought up Red. Said on a busy weekend there can be 10,000 people fishing Red. On a normal day people pee around 2 liters per day. Many pee over a gallon a day when drinking. Many of these people take medications with chemicals coming out in their pee. Yes you are peeing on the ice and not in the water. But once the ice melts everything goes into the water. 12 busy weekends would be around 240,000 gallons of pee entering this one lake every year + who knows what from the medications. Their big thing was they don’t know how all these containments will affect the resource, they know it won’t be in a positivity way, and don’t want to find out the hard way what happens. They see it as a big potential problem and want to be ahead of it.

I did ask the lady if she would feel differently about the pee law if she could easily go pee outside like men. I left very shortly after the look she gave me.

Well if that’s truly what they’re intending, everything I said earlier applies. This is a ridiculously flawed idea. Everything good in this law will be overshadowed by the stigma of this being the “pee law”, and it’s a tremendous “self-own” from a PR standpoint. I know the DNR didn’t write the law, but if they choose to enforce it to that standard, they will be on the receiving end of the blow back.

Wildlifeguy

Someone should also educate their spokesperson about chemistry as well, because while that 240k gallon number sounds very big and scary, when taken in relation to the amount of water in a lake like Red, it’s a drop in the bucket.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I should mention it was not the DNR that I talked to. It was 2 volunteers that were at the ice show. It takes 325,851 gallons to cover one acre to the depth of 1 foot. Red lake has 1,263,678 acres. You are correct Wildlifeguy. Not that scarry when you add in the rest of the equation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I doubt it will be enforced to any extent. I cant see many people taking it seriously. What’s next, no peeing in the woods?

Pee Law jester

This Mtn Dew tastes funny? “That’s my official/licensed pee bottle!!!!!!”

mark Mason

I’m wondering about how I will action upon this law. I guessed it would be a small aluminum trash can with a metal ring around the lip bolted onto my house but then saw the tether line in the pic above. That would be easiest if we could tether a temporary plastic pail to the house? I clean up after my dog on the lake as my skid shack usually stays in one location most of the winter.

The Pessimist

What’s next, no peeing in the woods?

Don’t give them any ideas. Anything is possible with the leadership in this state.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I had pissed on the ice a few times over the weekend. As well as threw my garbage in a bucket. But the bucket wasn’t ropped to anything. Take me to jail

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Take me to jail

Nope. Just fine you 100.00. Keep making your point and I sure sooner or later they will make theirs. ” I fought the law, But the Law won ” they usually do

glenn57
    cold spring mn

doah i’m confused………..how is that any different then peeing in your toilet and flushing????

yea it goes through a wasterwater treatment faculity, but to the best of my knowledge they dont get the drug residue out???????/

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Take me to jail

Nope. Just fine you 100.00. Keep making your point and I sure sooner or later they will make theirs. ” I fought the law, But the Law won ” they usually do

I’m not to worried. Hard to prove who’s yellow spot it is. As well if I just kick some snow over it I don’t think they will be able to see it. I can pretty much guarantee you I won’t be getting any fines for that

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ Make sure you hide the spatter on your boots Bear. shock

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

^ Make sure you hide the spatter on your boots Bear. shock

Can I Wizz off my boat or is that banned as well. Hate to fill the river with toxins.
    Also can my dog pee on the lake in the winter or should I run it to a fancy house property and have her potty in there yard, so then it gets diluted this spring by all the lawn chemicals that go in to the water.

B-man

You don’t have to have a tethered bucket or container.

You just can’t place trash on the ice. If you do, you will then need one.

There’s nothing illegal about keeping the trash IN your shack or IN the truck whether it’s in a container or not.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would like to see the DNR do drone videos of all the shacks on Mille Lacs with their DNR # or name in the video about mid February… then the day after removal, do another fly over and see who the pigs were. flame

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty clear on how the law is written:

Subdivision 1.Prohibition. A person using a shelter, a motor vehicle, or any other conveyance on the ice of state waters may not deposit garbage, rubbish, cigarette filters, debris from fireworks, offal, the body of a dead animal, litter, sewage, or any other waste outside the shelter, motor vehicle, or conveyance unless the material is:
    (1) placed in a container that is secured to the shelter, motor vehicle, or conveyance; and

(2) not placed directly on the ice or in state waters.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Jon I don’t think B-man is in disagreement with you. He’s saying that you can keep the trash inside your truck or shack instead. Like in a bin or bag that’s inside. You only need the tether/rope if its attached outside the vehicle or shack.

Deuces

240,000 gallons

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Hopefully it gives the already strained LEOs more leverage when dealing w dbags on the ice. Oh u want to be a d!ck, here’s a citation for ur turd Fhead.

Doesn’t bother me for a second. We’re civilized creatures, I can deal with all my waste.

JEREMY
    BP

I’m not to worried. Hard to prove who’s yellow spot it is

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Exactly. Drink alot of beer and your pee will be crystal clear. At least that day. The next day may need a new sollution.

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Pretty clear on how the law is written:

Subdivision 1.Prohibition. A person using a shelter, a motor vehicle, or any other conveyance on the ice of state waters may not deposit garbage, rubbish, cigarette filters, debris from fireworks, offal, the body of a dead animal, litter, sewage, or any other waste outside the shelter, motor vehicle, or conveyance unless the material is:
    (1) placed in a container that is secured to the shelter, motor vehicle, or conveyance; and

(2) not placed directly on the ice or in state waters.

-J.

So, if I walk out with no shelter then I can litter?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So, if I walk out with no shelter then I can litter?

Walking out is “conveyance”.

Maybe a better question. If I drill a hole in the lake and pee in it, am I peeing on the ice or in the lake? ???

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jon that’s a great idea. Jigging hole, tip up hole, whizz hole.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

^ Make sure you hide the spatter on your boots

Just be happy you made it to your boots. 1” doesn’t stick through 3” of clothing well.

Tie your pee can to your leg. Oops, when I walked away it tipped over and spilled.

It is more acceptable to poop in the ocean than throw a plastic bottle in it.

Elf on the shelf follows the law.

Attachments:
    1. MN-pee-law.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.