New live imaging brand

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Anyone see these yet?

Reef W

Id like to see an iPad and those cheap home PC dongles work very long in the rain.

Gerty

I agree with the weather element to this, but at least it shows a direction for hopefully helping to lower costs in the future.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That’s vaporware imo… he’s showing pre-recorded footage vs real world…the latency is likely a killer…this will push the manufacturers to up their game though, that’s good for all us…

Ripjiggen

Yeah not using an iPad for any fishing screen.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

My guess is it will drive prices lower sooner. But yeah no way would I want to have an ipad out on the ice.

tswoboda

Wow what a gamechanger… just like sonarphone and the [in]famous Marcum RT-9 roll

dirtywater

Wow what a gamechanger… just like sonarphone and the [in]famous Marcum RT-9 roll

Yeah, I had a sonarphone for my small bench boat at one point. It was freaking brutal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just like sonarphone and the [in]famous Marcum RT-9

or their remote camera thing…

FinickyFish

I didn’t watch the whole thing but if it works with android devices I’m fine buying a cheap tablet to get something like this running at that price point. Lag or latency could definitely be an issue.

Agree on the Marcum phone camera. Bought one and sold it after my first trip. Would maybe reconsider pairing with this and a cheap tablet though…

dirtywater

I didn’t watch the whole thing but if it works with android devices I’m fine buying a cheap tablet to get something like this running at that price point. Lag or latency could definitely be an issue.

Agree on the Marcum phone camera. Bought one and sold it after my first trip. Would maybe reconsider pairing with this and a cheap tablet though…

The problem with cheap tablets is they suck. Corners are cut to meet that price point, making it even less likely to work well and stand up to on-water use.

Also the guy repeatedly says iOS devices which implies no android compatibility.

FinickyFish

The problem with cheap tablets is they suck. Corners are cut to meet that price point, making it even less likely to work well and stand up to on-water use.

Also the guy repeatedly says iOS devices which implies no android compatibility.
    [/quote]

Gotcha, yeah definitely a no go with expensive apple products but if they make an android app, android tablets and waterproof cases can be had for dirt cheap. Again it won’t compare to $3k livescope setups but for some people the savings is a good entry point. I think folks would be surprised how durable even cheap electronics are. It’s somewhat aggravating the form factor of boat sonar units at their price point in 2024. Thinner units can stand as much wear and tear with higher processing power at cheaper price points. Just think what your cell phone goes through. $#it you should see what my kids do to their cheap tablets and they work just fine.

Plunker

Put your phone on your boat deck on a 90* or even 80* sunny day. It’s going to throw overheat alarms in short order. Happened to my all my iphones if I happened to leave them out, so saying they’re just as durable isn’t quite true, but overall they do take a good daily beating. There’s an order of magnitude difference in what your boat electronics need to endure.

munchy
    NULL

LOL! Was thinking the same thing. And as I recall it didn’t make the other manufacturers sweat much at all, if anything it raised their prices….

FinickyFish

Put your phone on your boat deck on a 90* or even 80* sunny day. It’s going to throw overheat alarms in short order. Happened to my all my iphones if I happened to leave them out, so saying they’re just as durable isn’t quite true, but overall they do take a good daily beating. There’s an order of magnitude difference in what your boat electronics need to endure.

That’s mostly due to batteries. Switch that to a heat sink and your graph would be the same thickness and half the cost.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.