New House Build – Garage Door Height

• holstc

I plan to sell my tiller next year and get a Reata or 620 with full windshield. We are in the process of building a new home. Garage will have 8 foot doors. Will the motor clear this when on the trailer?

Thanks!

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

I can’t imagine it won’t. Only issue is whether you have to trim the motor or not and i’m guessing not.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A friend of mine has a new alumacraft that has to trim the motor all the way down before backing it in. He almost found out the hard way. Not sure what size door he has though.

CaptainMusky

I learned that my motor would not clear my 7′ door the first time I tried backing it in. Thankfully the brakes engaged so I didn’t forcefully remove the trim around the door using the motor.
    8′ should be fine though even leaving it on the transom saver. I have a full windshield boat and am nearly 100% confident that if I had an 8′ door I wouldn’t have to.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

8 foot will cover it. My MX1825 has to be trimmed down to get through a 7 foot door. My door is actually only 82 inches high.

Bass_attack

Make sure the seat is down on the casting deck doah ripped a new skeeter seat that way blush

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Who’s building your new place?

MnPat1

8′ height should work. Make sure your single doors are 10′ wide and the double door 18′ wide.
    I have an ranger angler and 8′ foot doors and it clears no problem with the trim up.

iowa_josh

18′ doors are generally underbuilt and people don’t leave enough side room beside doors to use the space they have. I would make sure you have enough depth!

holstc

It will have a 5 car garage. One stall being 20ft wide (18ft door) and 42′ deep and the other 10ft wide (8ft door) and 21′ deep.

Cannot go any bigger because of city ordinance issues.

Sounds like I am more than good with 8′ height doors

kroger3
    blaine mn

It will have a 5 car garage. One stall being 20ft wide (18ft door) and 42′ deep and the other 10ft wide (8ft door) and 21′ deep.

Cannot go any bigger because of city ordinance issues.

Sounds like I am more than good with 8′ height doors

If I can put me 2 cents in because I am going through another build right now. If you have 30′ of total garage width and 26′ width of doors your not going to have very much room along your walls at all to have anything along them. My last house had 2′ of room along outside walls and it sucked. Couldn’t even have my roller toolbox along the side wall. Lots of wasted garage space.

Also I would re-think an 8′ wide door if you plan to park anything midsize or better in it, after door trim you are going to lose almost 2″ of width. I had dual 9’W (2″ less with door trim) by 8′ high doors and even the 9′ was not very great. Backing a boat in that’s 8’6″ wide in wasn’t horrible but not great. Half ton pickup mirrors were pretty close also. 8′ height seemed to be ok, backed my MX2025 with 300 offshore in just fine and I could get my enclosed trailer in the garage and it just cleared the bobble vent on top.

My current house build is going to have one 18×9 and one 10×9.

Sounds like you are limited in square footage by your city but figured I would give my 2 cents.

404 ERROR
    MN

I am also limited by square footage by the city and my garage is maxed out on size. I am 26′ wide and 50′ deep. I have an 18′ door and I love the extra space on the sides, its a necessity once you get multiple toys and a boat in there. Not to mention the wife requires a garage spot for her car…Extra width is a must for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.