new fishing rod

• Matthew marolt

Looking to purchase a new fishing rod and reel in decent price range .for this summer . It will used mainly for jigging walleyes and using lindy rigs . Just want some review on rods people use . I’m currently using st.croix eyecon in a ML with a Shimano symtere . Thank

What length is your current eyecon? If you want a single rod for both vertical jigging and rigging, I’d look at a 6’9″ MLXF or MF type rod, depending on whether you prefer to fish with braid or mono.

I use 5’6″-6’9″ MLXF rods for vertical jigging and 6’9″-7’6″ MLXF rods for rigging, both with braided line. I like St. Croix rods currently, but still use some older loomis, all with Shimano stradic reels.

Matthew marolt

Right now I got an 6″6 medium light jig and rig eyecon . Looking in the avid series right . Unless I can find nice used rod for the eight price . Interested in getting a stradic . Just hard dropping 200 on a reel

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

I got the 6’8″ Eyecon MXF last season and love it. Pretty versatile too. I also have a 6’6″ Premier MLF with a Cabela’s reel on it. It’s worked well so far and isn’t the most expensive set up. The symetre looks like a nice reel.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Are you looking at using heavier weights than your current rod will handle?

tucrs
    NW Metro

What is a decent price range? We may be able to help more if we got an idea of your budget.

Matthew marolt

Around 200 dollars for a rod . Wil be buying toward spring time

tucrs
    NW Metro

Our Apex is pretty close to that price point?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ill take a Premier over an avid anyday. In your searches make sure to pick up and feel out the Fenwick Elite techs, eye or bass it don’t matter. Best handles in the industry.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Ill take a Premier over an avid anyday. In your searches make sure to pick up and feel out the Fenwick Elite techs, eye or bass it don’t matter. Best handles in the industry.

I agree with the second part of that statement Elite techs are a great stick. Why do you prefer the Premier over Avids?

Matthew marolt

I was looking at the apex. Will thousand lake sporting good be selling them I know they sell tuned up custom ice rods cause I just bought one . Just curious

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I agree with the second part of that statement Elite techs are a great stick. Why do you prefer the Premier over Avids?

They just feel way more balanced to me. I love my Premiers and had an Avid and never felt good, or sensitive. I think a rods feel is how the users hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder physical makeup conforms to the stick. Some brands/models just feel good and some just don’t.

But I’ll echo riverrats question of whats your end goal with the rod? Same specs as your eyecon? Having two similar rods doing the same thing? Hey if thats what you like then go for it, but if you are trying to add another weapon to your arsenal its good to diversify. Say a longer M or ML in that 72-76 range that would be a great float rod as well.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Limit Creek makes a dandy rod that’s 6’9″ in the weight range you’re considering. $90.00. Darned nice rods.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

My next rod will be a Fenwick. They have a betrer warranty than the croix’s too. Bring the rod into a registered dealer and exchange for a new one!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The 6’9″ Limit creek smoothie if a heck of a rod. You can have one waiting for you at Everts if you order ahead. The St. Croix mojo series will now be using avoid blanks. I liked the original 69mlxf, but it will likely be more sensitive and lighter with the sciii blanks.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Check out the Fenwick Aetos Series, I have a 6’6″ M Fast and I love it. Fenwick hasn’t had a very high end rod for a while but this rod has a super high modulus graphite blank, lifetime warranty, and is light weight. Just another option.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Nhamm nails it, we can talk about each of our favorite rods and why they’re “the best” but whatever feels good in your hands is what you want.

Give us some more info on what your trying to do with your new rod and there will be plenty of good advice.

My first piece of advice is to pair it to your reel and get a rod that behaves and balances how you like with that reel on it. Bring the reel with too the store and put it on the rods.

dairycat

I have a ton of different rods. But if I could just have one for what your doing I would get a 7′ MLF. Good all around action. I like XF for jigging and blades and F for lindy rigging. Just depends what your going to do more. I would get an Avid over a Premier just for the lifetime warranty.

WarEagle

Go to scheels in Rochester. They have their guide series rods on clearance for 59.99. You can get a 7’6″ spinning rod that has a great feel to it and scheels puts a lifetime warranty on the rod. You can’t beat their lifetime warranty and you can’t beat that price. They use to be 119.99 and they are only down at that price to clear out for new inventory. You spend 60 on a rod blowing 200 on a shimano ci4 2500 is nothing. I have several 7’6″ scheels guides and these are awesome rods. They are also the most versatile rod you can own. Got a great backbone for big fish. I have landed 2 walleyes over 30″ on these. one with live bait, the other with a heavier lure. Put a ci4 on it and you can’t beat it. Also, I put 7 dollar rod balancers on all of my rods. Makes them all feel like loomis nrx’s. Hell, you can by 3 of these for the price of those that you are looking at for $200. Give it a try………..

WarEagle

You sent me a pm asking where to get one, just text me pm me your phone number.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looking to purchase a new fishing rod and reel in decent price range .for this summer . It will used mainly for jigging walleyes and using lindy rigs . Just want some review on rods people use . I’m currently using st.croix eyecon in a ML with a Shimano symtere . Thank

Mathew, just a different angle on this. What is it specifically that you want in performance with a new rod compared to what you have? As you see above, you’ll get a variety of suggestions, of which all may or may not be a good fit for what you want. Everyones use and preferences are unique and any details will help narrow the field.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.