New custom rod thread colors???

• Jordan Dahl

Alright guys, going to order my first TUCR custom rod, just need to hear your guys sweet custom color thread wrap combos.
    Was thinking green with silver threads, but its a rod that im going to fish with for a long time so i need a bit of confidence in making sure those colors are what i want.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

they going custom colors pick something that’s important to you. For example father went with a custom wrap it would definitely include some colors from the Marine Corps.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

EGA wraps would be sweet! I went with burnt orange on my first one, almost went with pink though.
    What rod are you getting?

Jordan Dahl

Either the noodle or the bullwhip!
    Leaning heavily towards the bullwhip

Jordan Dahl

Ben what rod case do you transport all your rods in?

crappieguy

Mine are being made today/tomorrow, can’t wait!

I thought about custom threads, but after looking at the pics online a little more, I actually really like the colors they have on there, so I left them alone.

I usually buy ice rods in sets and choose thread wraps to designate the different weight of the blanks. Typically I go with yellow trim wrap for panfish, orange trim wrap for perch and red trim wrap for walleye blanks. I use white trim wraps on the quiversticks and silver metallic on the noodles.

That way, when I’m outfitting somebody, I can just tell them to grab the rod with the yellow, orange or whatever trim wrap… I’ve got a powernoodle with light green and silver metallic threads and it’s a nice looking color combo.

curleytail

I think blue with metallic silver wraps looks nice on many rod blanks, but it really boils down to what will look good to you. I think green and silver would look nice too. I think green with gold metallic trim (no, it’s not because I live in WI, REALLY – I don’t get wrapped up in football too much) looks nice too.

Rope
    Kansas

My last rod from TUCR is pea green with raspberry trim. I like it, but I’m a little off square sometimes. Next time I’m going with Randy’s pick of Hot Pink.

Tonka
    Minnesota

I have a TB panfish sweetheart with green and metallic silver. It looks awesome but the green I have is a little dark and hard to see, so that’s something to consider. Another thing you might wanna think about is the reel you’re going to use. For some that may not be a concern, but for others, matching the reel colors and guides is something that can really add to the look of your setup. Hope this is a little help when decideing.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

I had a murdered out rod made. Super, super nice and cool looking. I haven’t put it down for days. Wife is asking me to move it constantly as I leave it all over the house. It’s with me next to the bed right now.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I use the Rapala Double Barrel rod bag. It’s perfect for the 4 customs that I have, but I’m looking at gun cases so I can get some more TUCR Lake Trout Precision rods at longer lengths.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I use the Rapala Double Barrel rod bag. It’s perfect for the 4 customs that I have, but I’m looking at gun cases so I can get some more TUCR Lake Trout Precision rods at longer lengths.

Ben–In your search, don’t overlook the Plano hard cases. They make one for the AR-15 crowd that works very well with some longer laker sticks that I have. I have an Otter that I use more but to be honest, the Plano was less expensive and is more durable…and it has that break out foam you can twerk for a custom fit.

Here’s a link, they have them on sale at Wally World at times for $60ish, which is where I picked mine up.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-108361-Guard-Tactical-Case/dp/B0029KKWT8

Not to continue off topic, but the plano case Chris shows also comes in a 42″ length and is the same case as the Frabill Heavy Duty ice rod case.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Actually, I think mine is the 42″…just grabbed the wrong Amazon link. ;-( Good points.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Next rod u build will be all black wraps except for the tip will be bright, either pink, or neon green.

I received a Quicktip as a gift from my wife and she used my sons birthstone color as the primary wrap color. Can’t really go wrong with any colors, only thing I’d stay away from are dark greens and blues as they just look black once epoxied.

Jordan Dahl

I think amazon has some pretty decent cases around 40 inches in length and about 50 bucks. Probably going to go with that one.
    as far as color goes, i think I’m leaning on that hot pink, seems like a popular color.

crappielover89

I did the banana split color it’s a gold yellow and I love it

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I have two favorites so far. I did the main wraps metallic lime and the other in fuchsia with the trim in metallic silver. I even got creative with the lime green wrap using green braided line with two feet of mono on the end. They look awesome in the metallic colors.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.