New Auger – Lazer Pro, Lazer Mag or Chipper Mag?

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

So I’m in the market for a new auger this season and decided to stick with gas (current Jiffy is close to 30yrs old) and would prefer a Strikemaster over the other brands at this point.

Between the 3 listed, I know the Pro has the bigger motor, what else would be the difference between the 3? Lazer Pro and Mag only seem to have a difference motor. The Chipper has the smaller motor (same is the Lazer Mag), what about cutting, is it slower or more difficult to cut a hole?

There are plenty of days that I cut 40+ holes sometimes up to 70

gonehunting

The chipper will hold an edge better in dirty ice (windblown dust, dirt etc). It will also reopen holes better than the lazer blades. I have the Lazer Pro 3hp 8″ and would never look back. When I go to Lake Winnipeg I put on a 10″ chipper flighting due to the dirty ice up there. Amazing how much torque the 3hp motor has.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

My advice would be to stay away from the 3hp strikemaster. I had a chipper mag for 4 years that performed very well and just wanted to experience the 3 hp. So I bought one new and could never get the thing to start consistenly. Brought it in twice to a strikemaster service center and it still would start like crap. So I ended up buying a lazer flighting to put on my older 2.5 hp powerhead that starts and runs like a champ everytime. Love the lazer! I don’t ever re-open holes so I don’t need a chipper.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Well I can see why you’d want to get away from a jiffy after only 30 yrs, there’s a reason for that, but on this site all your problems will be answered with in the what’s wrong with my auger forum

gonehunting

One of the biggest things is to follow the starting instructions in the Solo manual. If you don’t follow the instructions you can flood the motor. Mine starts in 2-3 pulls each time. Very trustworthy. I think all augers have their quirks no matter what brand.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

You forgot to mention the Jiffy Pro4 propane auger
    Best one on the market!. Just sayin whistling

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I was talking about gas, personally from what I’ve seen the propane just doesn’t cut it

bullcans
    Northfield MN

With all due respect…
    With what you’ve seen vs what you’ve experienced, have you ever run a propane auger?
    Hands down the best. Jmho!
    Good luck in your search for what works best for you waytogo

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Fact: The pro4 is called the model 40 because it weighs 40 lbs. I might have made that up. However 40 lbs is very noticeable when your drilling a lot of holes compared to 25 lbs.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bullcans wrote:</div>

Fact: The pro4 is called the model 40 because it weighs 40 lbs. I might have made that up. However 40 lbs is very noticeable when your drilling a lot of holes compared to 25 lbs.

no question about it. She’s a bit heavy to haul around but will cut holes for you all day long when others with flood out or fall apart with all the plastic parts that are installed in them.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

So I’m in the market for a new auger this season and decided to stick with gas (current Jiffy is close to 30yrs old) and would prefer a Strikemaster over the other brands at this point.

Between the 3 listed, I know the Pro has the bigger motor, what else would be the difference between the 3? Lazer Pro and Mag only seem to have a difference motor. The Chipper has the smaller motor (same is the Lazer Mag), what about cutting, is it slower or more difficult to cut a hole?

There are plenty of days that I cut 40+ holes sometimes up to 70

StrikeMaster Lazor Mag 42cc. Purchased 3 of these two years ago and all three RIP holes like you can’t believe. We drill 30-150 holes most days and these augers are the cats meow. We did have one that came with two different style blades right out of the box. Didn’t notice when my buddy put them on and of course did not drill worth a hoot. Took the blades back to Reeds and they replaced them over the counter.

Have three friends with the Jiffy Pro 40lber and only one likes his the other two have problems with freeze up on the propane tanks and they are heavier than a beast especially when drilling more than 10-12 holes. The one that likes his, likes it because he hauls it in a SUV and does not have to smell the gas plus he usually only drills 6-8 holes.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Strike master solo works great. We have been using them for the last few years no problems. A few 3hp and 2.5 none of them start better or worse than the others no matter how cold.

If you ar re-cutting a lot of holes in a fish house go with chipper. If not either one works great and cuts fast.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thanks for all of the replies. I dont re-open old holes so that isn’t a concern. I also don’t want to punch 40 holes with a 40lb auger either (already doing that)

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve had all 3 SM. The Lazer 2.5hp is the best bang for your buck and most reliable of the 3 in my experience.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

We had an opportunity earlier this summer to capture some details on the differences between the different options StrikeMaster offers. Take a peek at these videos, they might help you make your decision.

StrikeMaster® Augers: Lazer™ Blades vs. Chipper Blades

Strikemaster® Augers: Benefits of Lazer Blades

Lastly, here is a video that is along the lines of your question but has to do with “Auger Pitch.”

StrikeMaster® Augers: What does “blade pitch” mean?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

WOWZERS !!!

Very Nice Master Nick !!! Very Nice !!!

bigstorm
    Southern WI

ok, so it looks like the Lazer Mag or Lazer Pro would suit my needs best. There seems to be quite a price difference between the 2 for 1/2hp, is there anything else that is different between them or only the motor size?

gonehunting

If you don’t need the torque for a 10″ flighting the Lazer Mag will suit you just fine.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

8″ hole is just fine for the fishing I do

riverruns
    Inactive

8″ hole is just fine for the fishing I do

So if a 6-7 inch hole would work I would suggest making your own auger. Tanaka head and a Lazer drill. Light as heck, fast drilling (nothing will beat it) and starts and runs like a weed eater. Couple pulls and runs no matter how you tip it or carry it. There are a number of these that we are using down here on the river and people that see them are amazed how fast they can cut. Down size is, if you need a big hole it might be a problem? I have never put an 8″ bit on mine?
    Shawn

mozy
    LQP

Check out the Clam auger. I believe it’s basically the same as a Lazer Mag, except it has blue plastic. I don’t know if they’re being discontinued by Clam, but I’ve seen them for $240 recently. That’s a hell of a deal. I paid $370 at the ice show a few years ago and thought that was a great deal, at $240 it’s a no-brainer.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Also D-Rock sells some augers used at the brainard fishing contest sell them at a discount price. Great deal and still get a one year not two but still a deal on good augers.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

ok, so it looks like the Lazer Mag or Lazer Pro would suit my needs best. There seems to be quite a price difference between the 2 for 1/2hp, is there anything else that is different between them or only the motor size?

The 3 HP is the way to go if you plan on cutting a lot of 10″ as it will be quicker with the additional HP. It sounds like that’s not the case for you so I would recommend the Lazer Mag. waytogo

Check out the Clam auger. I believe it’s basically the same as a Lazer Mag, except it has blue plastic. I don’t know if they’re being discontinued by Clam, but I’ve seen them for $240 recently. That’s a hell of a deal. I paid $370 at the ice show a few years ago and thought that was a great deal, at $240 it’s a no-brainer.

Looks similar but the reason for the lower price is that many of components aren’t under nearly as tight of quality control as strikemaster. For example 100% of SM’s come with Mora augers/blades where I believe the Clam comes from China and likely isn’t guaranteed to cut as well out of the box or stay sharp as long. Also without the established dealer network it might be much harder to find replacement parts if any issues.

Will

gonehunting

Lazer Pro 10″ $329.71 plus tax – On Amazon these prices can change by the minute. Act fast. Won’t find a better price on this auger from what I’ve seen in the past. Free shipping with Amazon Prime account.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

I have the Lazer Pro, purchased this last ice season…. nice auger. No problems starting either.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.