New 1-man!

• Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Pretty excited to try out my new Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno. I’ve gotten sick of fighting the wind and messing with anchors on my Clam hub shack for the past several years when I’m fishing by myself. (Great hubshack for when you have an extra set of hands though.)

I’m thinkin I’ll head out tomorrow morning to try it out and get a feel for everything. Hoping I can easily tip it in and out of the truckbed fairly easily and also that my 36” jigging rods will fit.

Anybody use this shack? If so I’d love to hear tips/suggestions/considerations.

Anyway good luck out there, all!

Attachments:
    1. D46F8C6D-C16A-4FF0-80E5-85CCBC45BBEE-scaled.jpeg

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

You look young! rotflol

Sylvanboat

Looks like you won’t be fishing alone too much longer.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Congrats! They’re great! they can get heavy when loaded with gear. Because of the short sled I would recommend bringing a board or piece of plywood that you can use to help unload the first time or two. I always just give her the ol’ heave ho and get her in the back but I’ve got an SUV and not a big tall truck, and I know that’s not a good long term plan, lol. Other than that, lights, get a good organization system going, and get out and have fun! oh, and never put a heater in the back of the sled behind you.

Deuces

Great reviews all around on the wide one.

Eskimo has the best chairs imo.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I was sitting in mine this weekend at Pleasant Creek in Palo and it worked just fine. Matter of fact, I think it’s still in the back of my truck. grin

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Agreed. Just bought a eskape and I had the inferno before. I love the chairs.

jeff becker

I have the Eskimo inferno and can still load it in my Ram truck. I am 70. I simply put the front of the tub against the tailgate and grab the backend and lift and push at the same time. Works great. As far as fishability. I drill 3 hole. The middle for the locator and the other 2 for rods. I put them at a slight angle. I use my shorter rod in one and the longer in the farther hole. I position my Buddy heater on top of the middle hole. I can still see the locator and still have plenty of room. The chair is very comfortable.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the Eskimo inferno and can still load it in my Ram truck. I am 70. I simply put the front of the tub against the tailgate and grab the backend and lift and push at the same time. Works great. As far as fishability. I drill 3 hole. The middle for the locator and the other 2 for rods. I put them at a slight angle. I use my shorter rod in one and the longer in the farther hole. I position my Buddy heater on top of the middle hole. I can still see the locator and still have plenty of room. The chair is very comfortable.

I hope I can still do this at 70. My hats off to you sir.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Congrats! They’re great! they can get heavy when loaded with gear. Because of the short sled I would recommend bringing a board or piece of plywood that you can use to help unload the first time or two. I always just give her the ol’ heave ho and get her in the back but I’ve got an SUV and not a big tall truck, and I know that’s not a good long term plan, lol. Other than that, lights, get a good organization system going, and get out and have fun! oh, and never put a heater in the back of the sled behind you.

The ol heave ho worked for me today! And I see what you mean about organizing- I went super light today with 2 gill rods, my lx7 and my heater which I didnt even need. Curious about your heater comment, is it just because it’s harder to keep an eye on it?

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Love it so far, definitely beats my camping chair in the open air

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

I was sitting in mine this weekend at Pleasant Creek in Palo and it worked just fine. Matter of fact, I think it’s still in the back of my truck. grin

Just moved back to WI this summer from several years in Iowa City! Never thought I’d say it but I sure miss Lake MacBride eek

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Jeff, this morning I loaded/unloaded pretty much exactly how you described and it worked just fine. Thanks for the hole setup suggestion. I was using my 32” Bullwhip today and had plenty of room for that one, still need to get a feel if my 36” will work. Cheers to 70 years young! toast

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>luttes wrote:</div>

The ol heave ho worked for me today! And I see what you mean about organizing- I went super light today with 2 gill rods, my lx7 and my heater which I didnt even need. Curious about your heater comment, is it just because it’s harder to keep an eye on it?

I got mine used a few years ago and the previous owner had put a heater behind the chair and melted the back a bit.

maddogg

I put a small shelve on each side of the seat.My seat doesn’t swivel.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steven Krapfl wrote:</div>

Just moved back to WI this summer from several years in Iowa City! Never thought I’d say it but I sure miss Lake MacBride eek

Good ol Lake MacBride, got spot crowded real bad by a teenager a few years ago while fishing open water crappies from the bank. Gotta love when someone crosses your line, especially when they’re a stranger. Great fishing tho

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I wanted the Wide-1 but grabbed the Clam EXP display model for cheap. After 7 years I got tired of being cramped in there. I got a Legend XL. Do you have any elbow room in the Wide-1?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i don’t know how you guys do it cooped up in a 1 man. i fish by myself as much as i can and my 3-4 person hub is sometimes too small. i like to get up and stretch when the weather is too cold to move. with a hub you can still spread the holes out as much as possible and avoid tangles.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

I wanted the Wide-1 but grabbed the Clam EXP display model for cheap. After 7 years I got tired of being cramped in there. I got a Legend XL. Do you have any elbow room in the Wide-1?

I’ve only had it out 3x so far but there is plenty of elbow room (and I’m a bigger guy at 6’2”), especially when it’s warm enough out that I’m not wearing my big coat inside. I really do love how light and sturdy and easy to move it is. I am trying to start the habit of just going out with my LX-7, auger (big Jiffy 4G, which I love but is a bit cumbersome) 2 rods, and a small 4×6” tackle/jig box. And heater if needed. Once I figure out a good storage idea for my rods, I’ll be set. Have been looking at getting a lighter auger too.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

i don’t know how you guys do it cooped up in a 1 man. i fish by myself as much as i can and my 3-4 person hub is sometimes too small. i like to get up and stretch when the weather is too cold to move. with a hub you can still spread the holes out as much as possible and avoid tangles.

It definitely is a switch of gears for me. I love my hubshack (Clam JM thermal 5000) but on the days when I can only get out for a few hrs before/after work, the one man has already proved itself with ease of use as well as quickness. I used to just brave the elements but man it’s nice not to have to fight the wind and stay warm with ease. When I’d set up (and anchor) my hub, I rarely moved spots after. Not the case any more with my 1-man.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

My new Jason Mitchell Legend XL has plenty of room. 2 holes and heater. Fugured out how to organize gear in tub. Quicker than putting up my 3-4 person hub. Plus I need a bigger sled when I go with the hub. I love the legend. Almost $330 more than the Wide-1though. So much more room. Thats what fantasy football $$ is for.😁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.