Still not froze up yet….

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I made it out with my buddies Jake and Ethan for a few hours today, and unfortunately, it may be our last hurrah for the year. A nice day though; 53 with a subtle south wind, which really made it feel less than 53. But fishing in the wind was the ticket today, and made it real hard to leave when we needed to. Throwing jigs and spinnerbaits yielded us close to 25 crappies, probably about the same number of LMB, and 2 sunnies. First cast of the day caught me one of my nicest crappies of the year. This one went 13 3/4″, and was extremely thick. There were numerous doubles caught, and even a few triples. Jake and Ethan are showing off one of the better LMB of the day, and another stout slab. Then towards the end of the afternoon, Jake landed another monster 14″ fish that was just huge. The avg size LMB was probably around a foot long, maybe 11″, but sure were a blast with our crappie gear.

When we first arrived, the crappies were flying out of the water like bass, which I found pretty interesting. As the hour progressed, and the winter front moved in, I truly believe we were there at just the right time. The fish started to push the jigs instead of hit them, and would barely tug on them and spit them when you tried to set the hook. A show of what the storm front was doing while we were there. We’re looking at 30s, maybe, for the next week or so, so hopefully we’ll get one more bonus nice day before the water becomes solid. If not, a great capper to a great year!

mroberts
    Nebraska

good job B Rob.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.