Need a chili recipe

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Hey I’m doing a chili cook off next month. Last year I tied for 1st with a white pheasant chili. This year I’m gonna try a classic red chili. I just need some ideas or starting point, I’ve never made any before. Thanks in advance.

Ripjiggen

Six guns chilli mix…modify to your liking.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I make a chili based on Famous Dave’s Route 66 chili. You can find the recipe online.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Here’s my recipe, feel free to start with it and doctor it up as you like!

Sharon’s Chili
    2 lbs ground burger
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 poblano chili pepper, chopped
    1 serano pepper, chopped
    2.5 cups beef stock
    1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp sriracha sauce

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Six guns chilli mix…modify to your liking.

X2 That’s our favorite in our house. No weird stuff in it and delicious!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I like to put a bottle of beer in my chili,anything but fruity or flowery beer.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

The All Recipes chili is similar to my own concoction. I use venison or chuck roast, I simmer it in the chili then shred it when it’s soft.

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I started cooking my chili in my pellet grill. Everything goes into an uncovered big pot minus the meat. I smoke the meat on a wire rack above the chili to taste. Break/cut it up and put it in the pot. Cook for a couple more hours. Puts a unique twist and ups the flavor a lot. Works with pretty much any recipe you have.

Atavar

Any of the recipes are great. I like to sub venison or elk for the meat. If you want something interesting that catches the judges eye use squirrel.

CaptainMusky

I started cooking my chili in my pellet grill. Everything goes into an uncovered big pot minus the meat. I smoke the meat on a wire rack above the chili to taste. Break/cut it up and put it in the pot. Cook for a couple more hours. Puts a unique twist and ups the flavor a lot. Works with pretty much any recipe you have.

Yep, over the top chili is the best chili. I used to put italian sausage in the meatball, but dont any more. It doesnt crumble well.

jwellsy

Some people swear chili doesn’t have beans in it, other swear it’s not really chili without beans. You may want to try to find out which way your judge hangs.

tswoboda

Some people swear chili doesn’t have beans in it, other swear it’s not really chili without beans. You may want to try to find out which way your judge hangs.

And if you really want to lose then put mushrooms in it

picklerick
    Central WI

I won the office chili contest last year by using leftover smoked brisket. There were 8-9 contestants and about 22 votes in total. I got something like 14 votes and 2nd place had 3-4 votes.

You can order online, but I buy dried chilis from WalMart or a Mexican grocery store. 3-4 ancho, 3-4 guajillo, and a 2-3 arbol peppers. Remove the stems and seeds and soak them in hot water while getting everything else ready. Blend them into a paste using a little of the soaking water. When your onions are slightly softened, add a little oil if needed, and fry the pepper paste, regular chili powder, cumin, and a small can of tomato paste until it darkens in color. Wing it from there with whatever else you like.

CaptainMusky

Chili in Texas doesnt have beans in it, but everywhere else it does.

Gitchi Gummi

This is my red chicken chili recipe. Measurements are estimates – I don’t really measure anything. I’ve found the best way to make your own chili recipe is to take several good recipes, maybe 3-4, and grab bits and pieces of each one.

I call mine Red Hot Chicken Chili Peppers

1-2 LBs of chicken breasts
    3 cans diced tomatoes (I like petite)
    1 can sweet corn
    1 can beans of your choice
    1 sweet onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 red pepper chopped
    2 jalapeño chopped
    2 Anaheim peppers chopped
    2 poblano peppers chopped
    Several cloves of garlic
    2-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
    2-4 tablespoons chili powder
    1-2 tablespoons of cumin
    1-2 tablespoons of paprika
    1-4 tsp of cayenne (depends on your spice level preference)
    2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoon of oregano
    2 bay leaves
    1 cup red wine
    Salt and pepper to taste

After cooking, if you want a thicker consistency, add tomato paste.

Cook in crockpot on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Once done, remove bay leaves and shred chicken and add back to chili.

Atavar

For me I like chili to have a gravy rather than a sauce.
    Take a few tablespoons of masa flour and blend it with enough water to make a roue. Add it to your chili just before you add the beans or in the last 15 minutes of simmering .
    It really fills out and finishes the dish.

zooks

I won the office chili contest last year by using leftover smoked brisket. There were 8-9 contestants and about 22 votes in total. I got something like 14 votes and 2nd place had 3-4 votes.

You can order online, but I buy dried chilis from WalMart or a Mexican grocery store. 3-4 ancho, 3-4 guajillo, and a 2-3 arbol peppers. Remove the stems and seeds and soak them in hot water while getting everything else ready. Blend them into a paste using a little of the soaking water. When your onions are slightly softened, add a little oil if needed, and fry the pepper paste, regular chili powder, cumin, and a small can of tomato paste until it darkens in color. Wing it from there with whatever else you like.

This is the way.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I am making a version of Picklericks today. I could only find ancho chilies locally, but I see they have the 3 pepper combo pack online that will probably be the next step.

I’ve made a lot of chili in my day, but have never used dried peppers before. Kinda excited to see the flavor enhancement.

I will add, good chili should be simmered all day. Maybe everyone already knows that.

Dan Kane

I am making a version of Picklericks today. I could only find ancho chilies locally, but I see they have the 3 pepper combo pack online that will probably be the next step.

I’ve made a lot of chili in my day, but have never used dried peppers before. Kinda excited to see the flavor enhancement.

I will add, good chili should be simmered all day. Maybe everyone already knows that.

I agree. Cooked all day. I don’t eat mine until it’s cooked for hours then put in the fridge or outside if it’s cold, for the night then back on the crockpot. Then it’s ready…

Not sure why but some sort of magic happens overnight.

picklerick
    Central WI

Ancho are dried poblano peppers for anyone that doesn’t know. I think they have a slight sweetness in addition to the earthiness that all dried chilis have. Bobby Flay describes it as a spicy raisin. I’m not sure that makes it sound good to me. I’m of the opinion that everything people add raisins to would taste better if they were left out.

I do think chili is better after a long cook, but toasting the spices and tomato paste upfront gets you there faster. Also, some flavor compounds need a higher heat to be released into the food. Just boiling or simmering misses out on those flavors.

Let us know how it turns out.

ThunderLund78

Ancho is the ONLY powder I use in my Chili – my absolute favorite. I’m not sure a spicy raisin is the right way to describe it – I’m with you on raisins ruining everything. I feel like they’re the one thing that’s held on from the classic 1950s and 60s recipes. Like the ones that combine jello, salmon, olives, raisins etc into one nightmarish church potluck pukefest.

picklerick
    Central WI

It’s a similar aroma and flavor to raisin with whole dried ancho chilis. They’re even slightly sticky inside. I’m guessing to make ancho powder they’re much more dried out and that might be the difference?

Those jello dishes from way back always reminded me of the fake vomit you could order from the back of comic books. I’ve never seen one with such a horrific ingredient list as olives, salmon and raisins though. Wow.

ThunderLund78

Reminds me of this…

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240126_144852_Gallery.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I really missed out on the Salmon, raisin, Jello, Olive stuff. Shame! ???

I like a few beans, but definitely more meat than beans. Serving cornbread with your chili is key in my book.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.