Need a 6 to 8 inch drop reciver hitch any recommendations

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Towed the old man’s ice shack around this weekend and to hook it up I needed to block it up a bit. Realized fast I can’t run the same set up on the 2500 as I did on my 1500. The rear sits about 8 to 10 inches higher.
    Shopping around I see any thing from 150 bucks to 450 bucks. Does any one have a revlciever hitch they recommend, 6 or 8 inch drop. Not sure what size I need.
    Or better yet, one sitting on a shelf getting dusty they want to sell

Ripjiggen

Are you looking for it to adjust?

If not family has used dozens of tow smarts from menards with no issue. They are like 60 bucks plus the ball.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I have a rhino hitch. It’s huge, But adjusts easily. If I had to do it over I’d get a weigh safe.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I went with a middle of the road Curt adjustable hitch from Fleet Farm. Came with 2” & 2 5/16”. Does the job.

isu22andy

I have a BW 3 way ball with tons of adjustments – whatever you do though salt will kill it in a hurry.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I want it to be adjustable for sure. I’ll be towing anything from skid loader and dump trailer to my boat to a camper. I was hoping not to have to drop 300 on a hitch, but I’m guessing that’s the way I’ll have to go.
    That weigh safe looks like the ticket I need. Truck has a 2.5 inch receiver, I installed the insert down to 2 inch. But I want to be able to use my rock tamers. Do I have to buy a certain length for all those to work together?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

NOT aluma-tow.
    So sloppy.

Also Aluminum will deform in the receiver but using a hitch tightener can help, there are 3 different styles or tighteners.
    The amount the hitch sticks out from the receiver can dictate which type of tightener fits or does not fit. Also your tow flaps may need to be factored in.

Finding a hitch that has 2 options for the amount of stick out may help, some receivers have 2 holes also, my F350 only has 1 though.

Using the 2 to 2.5 reducer sleeves will also add slop, buy the 2.5″ hitch.

I wish I would have bought the BW or Bullet proof steel hitch.
    I thought aluminum would be nice and not get rusty but its hard to find stainless balls and alum is just too soft and wears when towing anything of weight only making it even crappier than it was new.

Jake
    Brainerd

I’ll second weigh safe. Pretty slick knowing the tongue weight. Seems pretty accurate as well, from what I can tell.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I run a Trimax and like it. I got mine of Amazon and it came with a locking pin that was keyed the same as the adjustment key. Think it was around $150.00 I got the dual ball with the 2 and 2 5/16.

Nodakk

Go stop at M&G trailer on hwy 10 in Ramsey. They have multiple options and are price competitive from the research I’ve done. I bought a hyper hitch there. Would recommend

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^definitely ditch the sleeve. They are just one more variable for play/slop.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just picked me up a B&W.
    It’s pretty bad ass

Jason

I run a 3″ Weighsafe and tow 10k+ alot and it has treated me well. They have a great warranty also if need be. It’s nice to be able to see if you have 300lbs of tounge weight or 2000lbs so you can place your toys correctly on the trailer and be nicer on the truck

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

^definitely ditch the sleeve. They are just one more variable for play/slop.

I will 3rd that on the ram I had the slop was much worse Get the 3 inch I think the drop was 6 inches. The nice thing is you can run the bigger shank on the ball. I think all in was around 110 bucks is a curt

Pauleye
    Onamia

I run a Trimax and like it. I got mine of Amazon and it came with a locking pin that was keyed the same as the adjustment key. Think it was around $150.00 I got the dual ball with the 2 and 2 5/16.

I use the same one. Works well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I forgot the ladies work has a account at northern wholesale. Now do I go with b&w or weigh safe. They both are roughly 45 to 50 percent off through the wholesaler. Makes that 450 dollar hitch 215 bucks. Little easier to eat that cost

Matt Sayer

Love my B&W- 2″ and 2 5/16″ combo, stays on truck 24/7 but
    can fold up under truck to take away the the “shin issue” when not in use and can handle all of my trailers from heavy enclosed tool trailers to light duck boats/utilities.

JEREMY
    BP

Im pretty sure I have a six inch it might be eight inch drop in my garage you can have for free if its still sitting where I think it is. I will look tonite after work its yours if its still sitting there. Has a 2″ ball on it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Im pretty sure I have a six inch it might be eight inch drop in my garage you can have for free if its still sitting where I think it is. I will look tonite after work its yours if its still sitting there. Has a 2″ ball on it.

Appreciate the offer. I bought a standard 6 inch drop 2.5 shank yesterday for the time being and will order the adjustable one soon at the whole sale place. I’m not rocking the sleeve so I need the bigger shank. Wich also means 1 1/4 shank ball.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.