Navionics chip compatibility question

• tangler
    Inactive

A guy I know purchased a Helix 7 that came with a Navionics+ chip that he doesn’t want to use. The card is unused and never been registered or activated. I should be able to activate this card on my computer and select my Lowrance unit when going through the process, making it work with my Lowrance unit, correct? My understanding is that the unit-specific stuff isn’t added to the chip until activation, but I just want to be sure since this particular card came packaged with a Bird and even says “Helix 7” on the chip itself. The product code is MSD/NEB-3/HUM5

tangler
    Inactive

I’ve sent emails. Trying to avoid calling in. I guess that’s plan C.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I would reach out to “Kirt” or “KirtH” on IDO here.
    He has been a great resource for me in regards to Navionics

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks bullcans. Sent a Pm to @kirth but tagging him here as well.

Appreciate the help!

tangler
    Inactive

Kirt PM’d me and I figured I’d share with the rest — he believes this card will only work with that Helix unit. He said I could potentially call Navionics and get them to clear it, but just a fair warning to those buying used chips.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Kirt PM’d me and I figured I’d share with the rest — he believes this card will only work with that Helix unit. He said I could potentially call Navionics and get them to clear it, but just a fair warning to those buying used chips.

A used chip is still of value if that chip belongs to a friend. I believe that you can buy an upgrade chip for cheap and that chip can be activated to a specific brand and model.

tangler
    Inactive

Yes that is true. But the updates chip from Navionics still cost $100 and not many people are selling used chips for a price that would make the combination a better deal than buying a new one for $150.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I was thinking that the guy you know would let you use it to get a new chip. He can even keep the old chip.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I did sell a chip to a friend and used it in a Hummingbird unit with no issues from my Lowrance.

The chips that come in bundles will work in any unit from my testing.

Setting the unit brand seems to have no effect on the chip from what I can see, and talking with Navionics about this yesterday.

Now if its a different style of Card (SD/MicroSD/etc..) that’s a different story.

Also one other thing…. When those bundles are purchased the Navionics chip is supposed to be registered within 2 months of purchase.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Let me know if you want to sell it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.