Naples, FL

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We are considering a vacation to Naples, FL next January. Anybody been there? Wondering what the beaches are like. And if there is any good fishing nearby at that time of year?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I believe that area is supposed to be beautiful. Some people in my family vacationed there. I think that is where my buddy from work grew up too. And you are right by Marco Island which is beautiful.

My buddy from work fished and I can get the low down on that from him.

Fishing is great 12 months a year, it just changes.

The only issue in winter is cold fronts which can make fishing miserable with the cold and rain.

Any particular fishing you thinking about?

lindyrig79

Thanks Pug

I’m open on the fishing. I would not likely be bringing any gear, probably hire a private or semi private guide for 4 people.

My sister booked a place at the Double Tree. I would rather be closer to the water but it seems like there are limited options or super expensive. But that’s ok, as long as we can have a short drive to some nice beaches that would be ok.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Well if you plan on hiring a guide he’ll have way better info than I can provide.

In winter inshore all the usual fish will be biting. If nothing else, sea trout on shallow flats and sheepshead around structure are sure bets. Redfish will be biting too. Snook will be in canals and up rivers seeking warmer water.

I have little to offer in info for offshore fishing.

blackbay

I’ve been to Fort Myers Beach just up the road a bit. Great beaches but January will be cool for sure. Tons of great restaurants. I’ve been to a few in Bonita Springs, Enzo’s for Italian, Bone Fish Grill, Coconut Jacks and The Fish House. If you venture on to Estero, Sanibel or Capitva Islands don’t plan on getting anywhere fast. It’s 2 lanes of stop and go. It’s worth the drive for a Minnesotan on vacation for the beaches if nothing else. I’ve never fished the area though.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve stayed at Naples Grand Beach resort. Very very nice area and the beach is great. I was there for work and really wanted to fish but couldn’t find time. Naples and Fort Meyers are my favorite places in Florida.

Dan S Koich

I fished Naples 9 years ago from the public pier. I loved it. I think it was May 2009 when we were there. A pier cart holding a cooler,rods,tackle, etc was very helpful, but I didn’t have one. The beaches in that area are wonderful! I was at Ft Myers Beach about 4 years ago during the college kids spring break. We fished one time off a charter boat that hauled 50 people out. We caught a lot of small fish and took them to the restaurant and they cooked them during a karoake contest. A wonderful day/evening. The equipemnt on the charter was not good quality like I’m used to, but it worked. Don’t go during spring break. The traffic is horrible. Don’t stay at a hotel that caters to college kids if you need to sleep. I rented a pontoon for a family boat ride and wanted to fish adjacent to the mangroves on the islands the entire time I was on the water. HOWEVER, THINGS HAVE CHANGED!!!
    Last year the US ARMY Corps of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District diverted flow from Lake Okeechobee into a river I can’t spell the name of, and sent billions of gallons of toxic algae into the gulf coast, poisoning and killing millions of pounds of fish. The chemical reaction of the algae filled water coming in contact with salt water creates the toxcicity commonly called the RED TIDE. It affected something like 6 million people from Miami, all around the south of the Everglades and up to coast north of Tampa/St Petersburg. Several environmental organizations have joined together, gotten proper political support and are actively fighting the Corps wqater management management plans. Google “Bullsugar” to read all about the mismanagement of the waterways and the toxcicity they create. Due to increased public pressure, this year the management of the discharges is being monitored and done in a safer manner. But, call someone in the area and get a truthful explanation of the water quality situation before you book anything in this vicinity. Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere near this part of Florida. I now spent 2 months of the winter on the panhandle. The fishing is great if you know what you’re doing.

FryDog62

I lived in Naples for awhile and now just visit each winter. All roads in Naples going West go to the ocean – all open to the public.

Good saltwater fishing, but best if you have a guide and/or a boat. I do that maybe once a year, lots of guides to choose from but Captain Dean Bos is great.

I mostly freshwater fish for largemouth. Lots of canals, ponds throughout the area to fish. We stay at The Quarry and it’s an old rock pit, so really no weeds/gators to speak of. 300 acre lake, boating, swimming, fishing. But like a lot of places in FLA, you have to stay there to fish (or know someone).

I’ve also fished a lot from shore at Sugden Park (Avalon Lake-approx 80 acres). Best from a kayak (if you can, check their rules) but they have largemouth and certain times of the year snook swim in from neighboring channels to the Gulf.

I also took a guided trip last year to Okeechobee. Tried to get Pug to go with me, but the date didn’t work out. Used Captain Mark Rogers from
    Naples, former FLW pro, nice guy.

Lots of options… good luck!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

doah

While Florida does have a water management problem, the nutrients coming from inland does not cause red tide. And there has been no red tide to speak of since this winter. There are plenty of fish.

This problem has existed for decades since they started the mass of canal systems to divert water and drain the land for development. Not add an exploding population and something needs to be done before Florida bay dies because the salinity gets too high. Or before the Indian River lagoon system dies.

But don’t worry, you be fine next year. coffee

MnPat1

Typical weather for January is cool and windy. The beaches are nice but the water is cold then. Make sure and bring pants and sweatshirts.
    If you want to go someplace warm in January you need to go farther south than Florida.

If you like rich pricks from around the country you will love Naples.

FryDog62

We stay sometimes all month in January… might be my favorite month. Crowds aren’t really there yet, average high temps in mid 70’s, not a lot of humidity. Sure you get the occasional cooler days in 60’s but then you do hit 80 once in awhile. Compare this to Arizona where it’s routinely in the 50’s for highs and 30’-40’s for lows throughout January and even into Feb.

Only downside to January in Naples/Ft. Myers is not seeing Twins Spring Training…doesn’t start til Feb. But there is plenty to do that time of year. Some big LMB in Okeechobee in the winter and Tripletail on “the floats” in the Gulf.

Sign me up… they have no idea what a Polar Vortex is down there!!

lindyrig79

Thanks for all the information.

I don’t have much interest in seeing Spring Training, so that is not an issue.

I realize now that there are lots of fishing options, and so my question on that might have seemed too vague. I guess I was wondering if it was worth it to hire a guide during that time of year. I looked into fishing in February near Baja California last year and found out that was not a good time to go based off of cold water currents and general lack of game fish in that area, that time of year.

Sounds like that should not be as much of an issue in Florida.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Be aware that huge blooms of red tides can be in the area. Last year there was one that lasted a record amount of time. It kills everything and you are advised to stay out of the water when it is present.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nope, no issue.

Stay out of the water during red tide? The smell will keep you 10 miles from the beach!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If I were planning a visit to the gulf I would monitor red tide status up until I booked out of an abundance of caution. No need to worry about it, but certainly you wouldn’t want a vacation ruined by it. Not sure when you plan settling on a vacation.

As far as lingering effects from last year, I don’t think Naples got hit very hard. We were on the northern edge and Naples the southern edge. I haven’t heard people really complaining too much about fishing being off this year. Fish move around a lot and once the red tide is gone, they come back fast. In fact, the Snook seem to be on fire this year up here.

Timing: Blooms of this algae typically start in late summer or early fall. The current Florida bloom is similar to a bloom that lasted from 2004 to 2006 with the greatest impacts in 2005. That bloom spread to northwest and east counties, resulting in severe mortalities of many species, widespread closures of shellfish harvesting, and hypoxic bottom waters (especially in reef areas).

So if you are not locking in until after late summer, here are some helpful links.

Map with dots you can click that show status based on latest samples taken

OCWeb

NOAA

Beach Conditions This is a nice tool for beach conditions in general. Tells you a lot of info. See attached image

Florida DEP

Sincery,
    Mplspug
    Tourism Ambassador/State Revenue Influencer
    VisitFlorida.com

Attachments:
    1. beaches.jpg

lindyrig79

Thanks for all the great links Pug.

My sister and brother-in-law have already booked, and invited us along, so I think it would be awkward if we didn’t give them an answer until last minute. LOL doah

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In that case, enjoy!

Too bad you won’t be in my area, I could have taking you wade fishing. I can always use a partner to take pictures of me with…

…a beautiful sunset behind me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.