My Top 6 Walleye Hair Jigs

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Here is a follow up on a previous post about a gentleman asking about “why hair jigs”.

I absolutely love using hair jigs so I have put together a picture of MY top 6 “go to” hair jigs in order left to right,top to bottom.

They are the following..

Black/black – Black/black red core – Black/Kelly green – Patriot – Ugly bug – Willow cat

I pitch these plain to shallow waters(2′- 12’fow),rock piles,current seams or tips of wing dams.
    I mainly pitch mainly 1/8 oz-3/16. Every now and then I will use a 3/32 oz.

Keep in mind I fish pool 4 only !

When using hair jigs with meat(fathead) I use a totally different color scheme of jig, post to come later on !

What are you favorite colors/weights ?

Attachments:
    1. Top-6-Jigs.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Orange over brown
    Black
    White with Krystal Flash
    Chartreuse over white.

SR

nord

I’ll back up to the good colors from the 80’s.
    orange/kelly green
    orange/lime green
    pearl/purple
    green/white
    red/white

Times and colors do change.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Anything black….
    Black/Black-Purple
    Black/orange
    Chartruese/black
    Black/orange-red core
    Firetiger
    Pink & white

I’ve never tried Patriot. Nice jigs Jeff!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

He does make nice jigs.

I like a purple over chartreuse, but I stay pretty flexible color-wise. Things change fast and if a guy stays rigid in one pattern he might find time to read if he’s not willing to change up colors.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Here is a follow up on a previous post about a gentleman asking about “why hair jigs”.

I absolutely love using hair jigs so I have put together a picture of MY top 6 “go to” hair jigs in order left to right,top to bottom.

They are the following..

Black/black – Black/black red core – Black/Kelly green – Patriot – Ugly bug – Willow cat

I pitch these plain to shallow waters(2′- 12’fow),rock piles,current seams or tips of wing dams.
    I mainly pitch mainly 1/8 oz-3/16. Every now and then I will use a 3/32 oz.

Keep in mind I fish pool 4 only !

When using hair jigs with meat(fathead) I use a totally different color scheme of jig, post to come later on !

What are you favorite colors/weights ?

Great Looking Hair Jigs!

I am just getting into tying my own hair jigs and was wondering where you get your jigs?

THX

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Clear water/early season I typically use white, white-pink, purple, purple-pink-white, or black-orange

stained, dirty, other than super clear
    Orange-white, green-chart, chart-orange, red-white, purple-white, pink-white

Most of all – what ever the fish want to eat

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Mocha you have a pm !

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

Are there some guys that are using hair on lakes also? Would like to hear their input on if their success is similar to river fishing em. Thanks in advance, let the fall bite begin!!!

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

When would you predict the hair jig bite will begin this year?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

When would you predict the hair jig bite will begin this year?

Next week for me!!! I hope. Going to get some wet either way. This said, I expect to do better with them in November, I’ll still be using cranks a lot next week. I’m going to try some thing all new next week on Lake Winnebago, a light hair jig and minnow.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Are there some guys that are using hair on lakes also? Would like to hear their input on if their success is similar to river fishing em. Thanks in advance, let the fall bite begin!!!

Any structure that walleyes inhabit, hair jigs will work. I pitch holes in the weeds, drop offs, rock bars, mud flats….. It all starts with confidence and using them

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MallardMayhem wrote:</div>

Any structure that walleyes inhabit, hair jigs will work. I pitch holes in the weeds, drop offs, rock bars, mud flats….. It all starts with confidence and using them

X2 waytogo

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Do you fish them the same way you would a jig and a minnow or do you need to pop it more to really give it lifelike action? I have used them with minnows a little but not too often.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

About the only time I pop them is when I am fishing rocky areas so not to get snagged, other wise I pitch them and drag back slowly and wait for THE SMACK !

But that is just me others may do it differently !

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Is there a certain time of the year they work better than live bait or certain situations or do they generally just work?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve caught walleyes and sauger all year long using hair jigs. I’ve taken walleyes during the heat of summer in lakes using hair too. HOW you fish hair at different times of the year can be a lesson in its own right but the fish will reward you all year long. Yes, a hair jig will take walleyes on the river under ice too.

Personally I feel that hair and plastic [blades too] reign supreme during the winter open water period. One of the three will generally get fish on any given day except in rare situations where live bait might get the nod. In the fall for me starting at 50 degree water temps and dropping I see it as a hair bite, then blade bite, and finally a plastic bite when the water is coldest. I think the bucktails have the broadest range of use thru a year in the walleye world.

Don’t be afraid to let a bucktail sop up some Gulp juice before you dunk it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Is there a certain time of the year they work better than live bait or certain situations or do they generally just work?

As for me Personally …I have been known to use them year around under certain conditions,like high water current seams and have even added a mini paddle tail to them at times and fished the same type of areas with good results during the summer months.

We all are guilty of getting caught up on doing the same thing over and over at the same places we fish.

I am a think outside the box type of guy tho(No comments on that either guys)if all else fails revert back to the basics…BUCKTAIL JIGS!

This fish was caught 6/16/2012 it taped out at a healthy 24.5″ on a 3/16 oz firetiger hair jig with a firecracker chartreuse mini paddle tail.

Attachments:
    1. 2012-06-16-19.09.001.jpg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What type of line do you throw your hair jigs on?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What type of line do you throw your hair jigs on?

I personally use 4-6lb Power Pro and Suffix 832 .

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Kelly green…black head
    black…black head
    black/yellow…black head

stained water
    white/chart…gold glitter head
    patriot…silver glitter head

Attachments:
    1. DSC00560.jpg

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Kinda looks like a plastic hanging out of that one’s mouth Tom…. I’m not saying, I’m just saying. Haha.

@trumar
    do you ever tie on more hair for a bulky profile? I just started tying last week. I’ve wanted to for a while, but then I saw this post and hair jig water temps are a few weeks away so I stopped in a thorne bros and got every thing to get started along with 5 different colors of hair for about $80. I love it. Haven’t used them yet, but I will soon.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Tim,I may tie up some personal jigs with a tad bit more hair,but I tend to stick with the quantity of hair seen in the above picture for the ones I sell.

Sparse hair also gives the hair jig a cleaner look.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I could have phrased my question a little better, but I’m also wondering about hair length, do you go longer?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I could have phrased my question a little better, but I’m also wondering about hair length, do you go longer?

Yes I do go longer sometimes with the hair,but again only on my personal made jigs, When I bulk up the hair I will go longer too, to provide a bigger profile.

FYI… I only buck up on hair when using 3/16oz or bigger hair jigs, cant answer why but it’s just what has worked for me on pool 4.

It is something you need to play around with as to your liking and see what the fish tell in the waters you fish.If it works for you log it or take a pic of it so you duplicate it !

I enjoy making test jigs to try to find that next HOT color combo !

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What do you need to buy to make your own hair jigs?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What do you need to buy to make your own hair jigs?

lead,smelter,hooks,molds,paint,hair(bucktail ect),thread,fly vise, thread sealer of some sort,2×3 bags.

OR

You can just buy jigs pre-made and paint them to your liking and tie them up !

It is addicting tho !

Any more questions just ask away !

JMHO Jeff

tom_gursky

That’s what happens when I don’t use my cheater glasses )

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

That’s what happens when I don’t use my cheater glasses )

Oh take my word Tom has put “quite a few” big ones in his boat by using hair jigs! waytogo

tom_gursky

I tie my Hair jigs pretty full and about 5″ long… I saw the hair ties Dustin Stewart made up (no one I know better at chucking jigs for Eyes on Pool 4) and he commented that when they are soaked in the water they will appear less bulky…makes sense to me )

Hair jigs are magic but you need confidence and PATIENCE…nothing like the “crunch” of a walleye hitting a hair jig )

Attachments:
    1. th.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.