my boat trailer steps

• dmax1800

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum.
    I launched and loaded my boat by myself most of the time after I got it. I got real tired real soon of having to climb down from the bow onto the trailer tongue. I did a lot of google searches and finally found these steps.

The steps are made so that they are removable (a common hitch pin holds the steps in place). They have safety non-slip grit tape on the top surfaces of the steps. They also have an integral, removable hand rail for extra stability (I’m 66 and not as agile as I once was). The steps have a mechanical joint, so they can’t break off. They are also welded just for peace of mind and to make them look extra stout to others. The steps can be mounted on either side of the trailer.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in a set of boat trailer steps like mine? Also I would like any comments, good or bad about my steps.

Thanks

Attachments:
    1. steps-233-resized.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

How much do they run? I’ve been interested as I fish pretty late into the winter and am looking at these as a possibility. I’ve seen they run all over when it comes to pricing.

dmax1800

I know easy step system steps run $380 to $470. Ezee steps run $390 for 2 steps and $495 for 3 steps, plus the hand rail is $80 extra.

My steps ran $295 plus shipping and handling, which runs about $35.

Red Eye

Depending on the landings you use mostly. You could try backing your trailer in closer to the dock, if there is one. Then load the boat and step off onto the dock.

dmax1800

That might work on some landings, but not many. In order to comfortably step out of the boat and onto the dock, I would have to get the trailer REALLY close to the dock. Then half the time I have a wind, or even a breeze that would try to push the boat into the dock.

Thanks for the reply, but I’ll stick with going up and down my steps. It’s SO much easier.

FryDog62

I like them and have been shopping for steps lately too. The models I’ve looked at (like yours) are very sturdy and a great accessory for guys like me that launch alone most of the time. But dam, more expensive than I was anticipating. Was thinking $100-200 but obviously I was dreaming…

timjamison11

You could probably have them fabricated for cheaper than some of those prices.

Or befriend a welder…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’m planning to build my own. We are going to model it up in CAD first then run it through FEA (to make sure it will hold me). The current plan is to make it out of all aluminum.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Do you need the top step? It looks high. Also the hand hold looks inconvenient. Not knocking product just wondering if you use the top step and hand hold.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Do you need the top step? It looks high. Also the hand hold looks inconvenient. Not knocking product just wondering if you use the top step and hand hold.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Sorry for dbl. tap

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d be very interested, but as stated that price is not even in the ballpark for me.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

You should be able to get something like this fabricated for around $150, especially during the cold season. A group buy would be pretty enticing for a shop that has some down time right now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There are ALOT of options for boat trailer steps now, search google, I personally think Basscat has one of the better designs… I agree most are way overpriced though, but those who own them all swear by them…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For most of the prices I’m seeing, I can lift my leg up the extra 18″-2 feet off the trailer and into the boat. It baffles me what people will fork out for the slightest convenience factor.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I added a simple $20 step to my trailer, it works great and doesn’t ever get in the way…

Attachments:
    1. trailer-step.jpg

shefland
    Walker

I think some people are missing the point, I am closing in on 70, a lifetime of boating and trailering, getting in and out at different sites is not as easy as it used to be. Now my last boat I had eezee steps, a 2 step system with a grab pole, very sturdy and nice, for my new to me boat I am going with the 3 step system and grab pole, the pole is a must have! they are expensive, not sure yet but around $500. The basscat steps look good, but they are only for Rangers and another couple of boats, bass boats, not lunds. Think about it, one miscue or failure of the steps and nothing good will come of it for sure. So the pic you show looks interesting, whats the brand? A local guy made some steps for folks up here last summer for a reasonable price, but a weld broke, of course that could happen on any of them, but eezee steps are rock solid. The eezze step add shows a guy running up and down the steps, maybe when your 25, not 70

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I can fabricate some wood stairs cheap and just replace every few years.

More than just convenience on these, probably 10x safer having stairs than doing the climb thing, especially during cold season.

shefland
    Walker

the steps are for safety, not convenience

JoeMX1825
    MN

my only issue with the larger step systems is that when tailoring, if your boat gets pushed off center by wind can the bow of the boat potentially run into the steps? That could do some major damage to a glass boat..

FryDog62

I talked to one of the companies and realized how much the configuration of the steps vary by boat. Each one has a custom angle, length, depth, etc … and depends on make/model of Trailer too. More sophisticated than I thought, hence the price.

It would be nice to get someone to make a bunch of these for us on IDO but it would be a different configuration for each boat/trailer. Couldn’t stamp out a bunch and hope they fit.

dmax1800

Hey carnivore: The top step may seem to be high, but with only 2 steps the top step was too low. Plus if I don’t get the trailer into the water at just the right depth, my boat slides back a 1 or 1 1/2 feet. With only 2 steps I would have to step not only down but horizontally as well. Not real comfortable, at least for me. But good question.
    The hand rail is not in the picture. It goes up and then up and over the bow, so that you can use it for balance all the way up or all the way down.

huskerdu

Depending on the landings you use mostly. You could try backing your trailer in closer to the dock, if there is one. Then load the boat and step off onto the dock.

i have a factory step on my Ranger never use it , still would have to step into water to get around truck, I back next to dock. In the fall when the docks are out steps aren’t going to help IMO ( hip waders ) I just step on the trailer fender to get in and out on shore.

FryDog62

There are ALOT of options for boat trailer steps now, search google, I personally think Basscat has one of the better designs… I agree most are way overpriced though, but those who own them all swear by them…

I’m a big fan of BassCat boats… but checked out what I could find online about their trailer steps. Looks like a 2 step system and pole for $460. And maybe quite a step sideways at the top to get to the bow… unless there’s another option I’m not seeing. Joe, if there’s another model plz send a link if you can. Good to have options… thx

mann4ducks

Fry dog
    I believe ez loader makes their trailers factorys are only 1/4 mile apart. I got ezloaders ladder system for my Skeeter MX and it is great safety is defiantly the key.
    Joe mx we do a lot of trips to Lake Powell UT. Usually a lot of wind and a lot of novice boaters and trailer drivers I always have the wife back in short and power load on saves a lot of adjusting and time to get away from all of the circus acts next to you

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I made my own 3 step out of scrap steel I had laying around took about 3 hrs. Hardest was figuring out correct angles and step placement. I will never be with out them again even getting in the boat in the garage to work on or cleanup, lay a piece of carpet underneath them so don`t drag dirt in from the garage floor.

Buckeye1

I have been looking at the different options for over a month. Decided on the Ezee step system. Definitely not the cheapest, but they custom make for your rig and needs.

queenswake
    NULL

It’s incredible how long it took these steps to become popular on boat trailers after being on pontoon trailers for so many years. It’s kind of like how long it took for someone to think that wheeled luggage would be a good idea.

drhamm

I am very interested in a step system like this. The price is very competitive. I have a Ranger trailer. I would like to discuss further – thanks

Ed C

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in a set of boat trailer steps like mine? Also I would like any comments, good or bad about my steps.

Where did you get these steps? What is the company name who manufactures them?
    Thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.