MX1825 vs. WX1910

• John Minnihan

Currently shopping for my next boat and have decided to go with a Skeeter. The next question is 1825 or 1910. Primarily fish for walleye, crappie, perch, gills. Occasionally will cast for bass or pike but not to often and don’t musky fish at all. Will set up either boat with a 200hp, kicker and iPilot as we do troll often. Boat will be used most often with my family and friends but we will also fish the AIM weekend walleye series a couple times per year.

Wondering if anyone has owned both models or has at least fished out of both models and what your thoughts are on how the boats compare to one another. Does anyone have an opinion on one model over another?

Thanks!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Everybody tends to love the choice they made, so you’ll hear from advocates who own each rig I’m sure.

Before buying two years ago I fished from both, rode in both, and test drove both side-by-side. I’d previously owned a number of 19′ and 20′ fiberglass boats. I bought the WX1910.

The WX1910 offers more interior space, bigger and deeper storage, a significantly smoother ride, and just plain felt more solid. Coming from what I’d run previously, the MX1825 felt quite small and the WX1910 felt substantial, just a different class of rig. In fact, I don’t think these two boats are actually very comparable to each other. I see the MX1825 primarily as a fiberglass option for river fishing or smaller lakes that’s more of a step-up from aluminum boats in the 16-18′ class, and the WX1910 as a deep-water choice that compares more closely to deep-v 19′-20′ rigs by other brands.

For me the WX1910 has been a fine muskie casting boat, an awesome trolling boat, and really enjoyable for family boating and pan-fishing (my son is 5 years old). Limitation as a muskie fisherman is that it’s further from the water than the MX boats, but I’ll take the drier wave-cutting advantages of that extra freeboard and bow over the few inches of easier access to the water.

I’ve got a bunch of videos that you can check out to see it in use, casting and trolling, calm conditions and rough.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lambeaumuskie/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Attachments:
    1. hank2.jpg

2. hank.jpg

3. trolling.jpg

sktrwx2200

I owned a MX and fished in a 1910 a handful of times. This is a tough one. The layout and fish ability of the MX is better IMO. More room it seems, better storage, more cockpit space for trolling. Layout is awesome. Would recommend the tandem trailer as my single axle bounced around quite a bit back there and was always worried about the tires but never had an issue. Live well is HUGE, great for keeping fish alive for tournaments. Was under powered at times with the 150,full load, kicker, full livewell and more than 2 guys. So 200 is the right choice. Very fast boat (even with a 150 on the back I could hang with 250s and 300s). Trolls and drifts better because its lower to the water. Turns on a dime. Absolutely loved the boat but 90% of the time was on BIG water making long runs.. so I had to go 21ft.

1910 rides quite a bit better than the 1825. The jump seats are great for the multiple guy/ family fishing outings with out cluttering up the smaller cockpit area with pedestal seats. Handy step cooler and quite a bit more storage up front.

I cant say which is better for you. But for me if the MX wasn’t such a rough ride in big water it would be the hands down winner. But that is the only negative to the boat IMO. Sounds like you might be hitting some bigger water with the AIM series, and might have some longer runs. Have to weigh out how much the ride quality is worth to you. Never felt unsafe in any conditions, but my back felt the pain. Never tried any smooth moves or anything like that. That could help substantially.

SBC will gladly give you test drives, and I would recommend doing so.
    Hope this was of some help for you.

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

I also have a 1910 and don’t have a lot to add other than what Mike said. But the addition of the jump seats is a big deal for the 1910. These sized boats don’t have a huge cockpit and the jump seats allows you to have 4 people in the boat and no extra seats. It helps a bunch in that regard. The 1910 will be a much more capable big water boat.

I’ve not ridden in an 1825 but have a 2025 so can’t really compare the 2 for ride. But the 1825 just kinda seems small. I primarily cast so the front deck is too small for my liking, the 1910 seems much bigger.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure when your pulling the trigger, but you might want to take a look at the Solera 189. I can’t endorse it or the others you have mentioned, but there will be a Solera on the Mississippi in about 3 weeks that you can sure take out and show me how to fish for walleye.

It’s a family friendly fishing boat and right in between the sizes you have mentioned. Just a thought.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

…more cockpit space for trolling.

The cockpit seems bigger in the MX1825 mostly because of the lower freeboard. When you actually measure the interiors of the two boats you find interesting results.

MX1825

cockpit: 70″ across x 76″ long
    front deck: 70″ across x 60″ long
    rear deck: 70″ across x 29″ long

WX1910

cockpit: 70″ across x 82″ long
    front deck: 72″ across x 65″ long
    rear deck: 75″ across x 27″ long

I trolled a couple days this fall with these 2 guys. My friend on the left goes north of 400lbs, and the other guy is 6’11” tall. We had plenty of elbow room with all 3 of us in the cockpit of the WX1910, and definitely benefited from being able to use a jump seat.

Attachments:
    1. fishing.jpg

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

WX1910 is 9 inches longer compared to the MX1825, so it will ride better due to that fact alone – well as allow little more front deck space, but only by 5 inches. Both boats are awesome, so really is which one fits your needs. Too many times someone buys something in hopes it can “do it all”, which is rarely the case. The MX1825 was never designed for big water but can handle reasonable conditions flawlessly on any body of water. Pick the boat that fits 90% of your fishing, seems we can never please the other 10%!

Jonesy

Sorry to hijack but I hear people knock the 1825 in big water. Do you consider leech lake big water? Leech or Winnebago would probably be the biggest water id see and I fish pool 4 a lot.

sktrwx2200

Since leech lake is the 3rd biggest lake in Minnesota.. I would consider it BIG WATER.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Leech can also be a lot rougher than many other waters due to it’s shape. With the long points and whatnot pushing water around it seems that the waves are always sharp, close together, and moving in more than one direction.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Great to have choices & the very reason Skeeter offers the WX & MX.

One is not for everyone, hence the power of choice and how you intend to actually use the boat. Based on how I understand what you have written, the WX1910, is probably the model covering more of your needs. Regardless, we are happy to offer test rides in both, then and only then your decision will be a much more confident one! Holler if we can help in anyway ! Have fun!!!

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

John,
    I went through the same dilemma you are going through although I haven’t made the purchase yet I have decided on the WX1910 or Yarcraft 186 TFX. Final decision to be made after test drives. I have been in a Skeeter in the showroom but have yet to physically set foot in the Yarcraft. WX1910 is in the lead though. The extra freeboard thus being a bit farther above the water doesn’t concern me. Both the 1910 and 1825 draft about the same so being in skinny water isn’t a concern. The jump seats in the 1910…great to have the seating without taking space from the cockpit. I can’t think of any reason that I would regret having the 1910 in the waters I fish, but may regret being in a 1825 when I am in BIG water and things kick up. Even though the 1825 may handle the rough stuff OK, it’s the jump seats that keep me going back to the 1910. Wish I had personal experience to share with you, but thought I share my ideas on my decision making. Have fun with the process.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have driven and fished out of both models on Mille Lacs in rough conditions. Either boat will safely get you from point A to B, but the ride is better in the 1910. I like the 1910 so much, I convinced my Dad to buy one. He loves it and we fished a handful of tournaments out of it last year.

?????

I have the MX 1825 with a SHO 150. For straight up big lake Walleye fishing, trolling cranks etc.. the WX might be better. We do all of that plus some smallie and muskie fishing on Leech, Winnie, Cass etc.. and for me the MX works better. More storage, fishes closer to the water and fits my needs best. To each his own. Good luck, I know my self and my wife struggled to decide but we are really happy. I went from a WX2000T with a 150 to the MX 1825 with a 150 and really each has its own atributies. Not disapointed at all with the MX.

John Minnihan

Thanks for all the information everyone!! I really appreciate it and enjoy hearing everyone’s opinion.

I do fish Leech, Winnebago, Green Bay every summer so having the 1910 for that would be great, and I do love the jump seats. Fishing local lakes and flowages they will both do an outstanding job it sounds like. Fun process and probably can’t go wrong with either.

Hopefully will be posting a picture of our new boat in the near future.

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

Honest question since I’ve heard it multiple times, but what makes the storage in the MX 1825 greater than the WX 1910? The MX was never really an option for me so I didn’t crawl around in them much. But looking at the pics the storage is all in the same spots and knowing that the WX has a larger bow those storage areas should be bigger (and they’re HUGE).

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

WX1910 has more.

The MX1825 does a great job of maximizing available space and making it easy to access with the console shelves and rear deck bins.

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

That’s what I thought, just heard multiple people say otherwise.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Honest question since I’ve heard it multiple times, but what makes the storage in the MX 1825 greater than the WX 1910? The MX was never really an option for me so I didn’t crawl around in them much. But looking at the pics the storage is all in the same spots and knowing that the WX has a larger bow those storage areas should be bigger (and they’re HUGE).

I was wondering the same thing.

FDR

John Minnihan

Went with the WX1910 – already had it on the water. Awesome boat!!

Special thanks to Justin, Cal, and Sean at Skeeter Boat Center. Couldn’t have had a more enjoyable buying experience.

Attachments:
    1. 20170408_165501.jpg

2. 20170408_165519.jpg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

great looking boat!
    the hull colors, motor, and rims look custom-matched, very sharp. have fun!!!

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

That boat looks like a copy of mine!

Attachments:
    1. 20160521_145723.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats and enjoy your new Skeeter! Great looking boat!

JoeMX1825
    MN

sweet color pattern, love it!

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I am in the same position. Wife wants family, but I also fish the AIM series. I am pushing for the 1910 over other brands. The jump seats are perfect so I don’t have to have the back seats in when the kids are in the boar.

John Minnihan

Chris – I’ve had the boat out 3 times already, once out on Green Bay and have absolutely loved it. Fished with 2 adults and 2 kids one day. Tons of room, used just two seats and the kids sat in the jump seats which was perfect. Out on Green Bay yesterday, got really windy but the boat handled better than I could have imagined. The react keel keeps you right in line even in a cross wind. So far I couldn’t be happier with our purchase!

Ryan Ignacio

John, just started looking into the WX1910, any thoughts on your purchase pros/cons months after your purchase?

eric borkoski

Hey Ryan,
    This is Eric from Skeeter Boat Center here in Ramsey.
    Noticed you were taking a look at the WX1910 and just wanted to reach out and let you know that if you have any questions on this boat or any others I would be more than happy to get them answered for you.
    We do have a couple 2017 1910’s left and ’18’s will start rolling in shortly.
    Feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] any time.
    Thanks again!

John Minnihan

Ryan,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you, don’t check this thread enough I guess. Are you still looking for a WX1910?

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Ryan,

I will add also you wouldn’t be disappointing at all with the 1910. I was looking at getting one and other brands in the same size.

The 1910 has a nice cockpit size which I liked. I am 6’4 so I want room! The jump seats were a nice added bonus like I said about having not to have the seats in the back and utilizing them is nice. Keeps the floor open.

I actually pulled the trigger on a 2060 not because I wanted it but for the price I couldn’t pass up the deal I got.

My only gripe about the skeeter is the 3600 size compartments they use for tackle storage. All my stuff is 3700 so its a tight fit, but I make it work. Other than that, I love the boats. Being able to put trolling rods in the side rod storage and everything else in the rod locker is nice. Plenty of room of the dash for the big graphs. I was concerned the front deck was small, but actually enjoyed the size when I was pitching plastics for the first time in it.

And if you rig your own boat like me for electronics and stuff… I haven’t worked on an easier boat than these things. Very smart with there design for sure.

Biggest thing that surprised me was how the 1910 handled with the 200 yamaha. The boats designed around that outboard so it run very well, gets on plane fast and handles like its on rails.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.