Must have lures for Winnie

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Making my first trip to the north for ice fishing… wondering what all a guy needs to have along. I plan on chasing the perch, obviously, but also wanting to ice some northern and walleye. Curious as to what I need for tackle. All my stuff is for panfish.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Winnebago
    Winnipeg
    Winnibigoshish

j/k

I would make sure to have some spoons. Doesn’t have to be ice fishing specific, because I use plenty of open water jigging spoons, fluttering spoons, along with casting spoons and they will catch walleyes and northern pikes. Jigs or spoons with rattle chambers are at times the key to catching lowlight to night walleyes. My two favorites are Northland Buckshot and Lindy Rattl’n Flyer spoons.

Don’t forget the steel leaders for them pikes.

Mike Post

I’ve had good luck with mini-mites for perch, particularly pink jighead and white body tipped with spikes or waxies. Also a size 3 swedish pimple, black ice color. My favorite color for ‘eyes is a three color jig head in chartreuse, orange and green. Good luck

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Usually jigging spoons in a firetiger or green pattern with a minnow head will catch all three. But there has been a couple trips that the perch were sluggish and would hit small stuff a lot better. We really benefitted from having our tip downs along and baited them up with a small jig and live minnow saved us.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m making my first trip to Winnie this winter, so I don’t have lake specific advice. But general a Red Buckshot or gold Tingler spoon are my go-to’s and plan for them to be up there as well. If it slows I like having an aggressive rattling bait like a Chubby Darter or Rippin Rap to try and call em in, and perch or shiner/tullibee colors as I believe that is the main forage up there.

Caleb Zblewski

I’ve been going to Winnie for 5 years now and any blue color flutter spoons or buckshots are really good and also your perch colored patterns but blue is dinomite for us on that lake. Biggest thing is don’t be afraid to be mobel if your catching little perch after little perch make a move but once you find your target depth which is usually like 3 feet depth increments 16 to 19 feet for example that’s usually where you will find the nice fish but they will start shallower and move deeper during the day and move shallower towards evening so move with them. Good luck tight lines it’s a fun body of water!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.