Must have ice gear

• ermaag62

Alright I’ve been ice fishing my entire life so I find myself set in my ways using the thing I always have so I just wanted to hear what everyone’s must have “tools” are.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

A fishing pole! mrgreen

gonehunting

Striker Ice Suit(s)
    Vexilar
    Power Auger
    Thermal Shelter
    Big Buddy Heater

I guess that list is big enough.

Sam
    St.Francis

Power auger unless four inches of ice or less then spud bar heater shack and pole jigs and ice skimmer

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Ice cleats and a headlamp on top of what was already listed.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Striker Suit
    Vexilar flasher
    Cleats
    My snowmobile (has made me more mobile than I’ve ever been)

Ryan Wilson

Absolute must haves?

Proper winter clothing
    Auger
    Rod
    Jigs
    Bait
    Gloves
    Hat
    Good boots
    Cleats
    Flashlight/Headlamp

And like always I almost forgot an ice scoop!

The rest is just luxury.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

If you were just starting off wanting to get into ice fishing and knew someone who did ice fish. To be able to join that person you would need (from most important down): proper winter clothing, rod, and cleats. In a pinch you can always use the flash light on your phone and I am sure you could get a hook and minnow from your buddy. I never thought ice cleats were important until I was in ND fishing on clear ice. A gust of wind came up and took the whole group down knocking our feet out from under us. One of the guys hit his head so hard we had to bring him in. Also I went out fishing with a buddy who didn’t have any. I pulled the sled out and had the holes drilled and almost all set up before he was able to walk to the spot. We started walking out together. Now if it was just you going out, what was listed above is spot on.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

For me
    1) Lighting
    2) Lighting
    3) Warm comfortable clothes, Boots, Gloves, etc.
    4) Marcum
    5) Rods, Tackle, Auger, etc.
    6) Reliable transportation
    7) Fully charged cell phone
    8) Comfy chair
    9) Deb Dallas

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Beef jerky snacks for my kids.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Ice cleats are #1. After falling on the ice last year and breaking my elbow and dealing with the issues for over the pat year this is #1. Don’t think you can get by without them. Especially first ice and late ice.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

If I were just getting started and on a limited budget:
    1. Warm and dry clothing and boots – can’t enjoy it if you are feeling miserable.
    2. Pole – For starting, any pole will work.
    3. Flasher – Your first “big purchase.”
    4. Auger – You are now able to venture out on your own and not just with a friend or two that already has the auger.
    5. Shack – Something light weight and simple to pull and set up.

If I had some experience and a decent budget:
    1. Striker Ice Suit
    2. A good assortment of decent rods and tackle.
    3. A flasher and a backup flasher, GPS mapping.
    4. Gas or battery auger, maybe a K-drill as well.
    5. Thermal Shack
    6. ATV or Snowmobile, plus trailer for hauling.

ermaag62

Alright I’ve seen what everyone’s must haves are and I have all of those…(like I said been doing this a while) let’s hear what everyone’s “luxurious” gadgets are.

Josh Hedstrom

Striker bibs for sure!! After getting them last year, not sure how I went without. Custom rods as well. Just a warning though, once you buy one it wont stop! Will also throw out a ATV, makes life a lot easier than pulling a fully loaded otter by hand alone. The skies the limit on gear though. So many things, so little money lol.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well placed removable tray that extends out from portable to hold my beer and chips, turning around all the time sucks.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Coffee/beer, and, FUN!! It’s ice fishin’ for cryin’ out loud!!

jld
    Holmen

Striker bibs for sure!! After getting them last year, not sure how I went without. Custom rods as well. Just a warning though, once you buy one it wont stop! Will also throw out a ATV, makes life a lot easier than pulling a fully loaded otter by hand alone. The skies the limit on gear though. So many things, so little money lol.

I would have to 2nd the custom fishing rods! I find myself buying one a year I think even though I don’t necessarily need more.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

X2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Ice cleats are #1. After falling on the ice last year and breaking my elbow and dealing with the issues for over the pat year this is #1. Don’t think you can get by without them. Especially first ice and late ice.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Custom rods are great until u break one off while hastily moving the shack around holes

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

I wouldn’t say it’s a must have, but a nice underwater camera can be a very entertaining and educational tool to have out on the ice. It’s helped my jigging and bite detection a lot, not to mention passing time watching little perch or bluegill during slow periods.

travis mccolley

I wouldn’t say it’s a must have, but a nice underwater camera can be a very entertaining and educational tool to have out on the ice. It’s helped my jigging and bite detection a lot, not to mention passing time watching little perch or bluegill during slow periods.

I have a marcum, and I use it when taking someone new out. Other than that it just does not get used much.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Bucket, toilet paper, old coos coos container to hold toilet paper. If you have kids a portable potty chair. When bathroom is not a concern makes it a lot easier and saves time

tim hurley

Tip up, tip down, dead stick-any way to get that second line in the water, unless they allow 3, then take the 3. Whatever legal advatage you can take

Aaron Drier

Learn how to make your own customs, save some cash and make them exactly like you want.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Floating ice suit should be every ice fisherman’s first purchase…Striker got my money…

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

No question for me it’s a Striker suit and ice picks! Getting home safe to your family is always more important than how many you catch.

Will

Dogfish

Combining comfort and mobility are the two biggest things that have really made the hard water season soooo much more fun for me, with that in mind I think that I’ll never go again without:

1. Great boots – I have been using the Artic Pro from Muck Boots and holy smokes are they awesome. They are expensive, but I’ve been wearing them hard for two years now and will never go back.

2. Ice fishing specific winter suit – I think you can use a number of different brands for this, but I can guarantee you that these make a HUGE difference. It’s like wearing your ice house. 100X better than your run of the mill ski jacket and snowpants from 1994.

3. Gear – You can write a book on your favorite gear and why, but if we are talking about specific fun/cool gear to have, the underwater cameras like the aqua-view have been a blast and have really taught me a lot about the lake, the fish, my lure’s action, triggering techniques, and of course, it’s just so cool to watch the fish swim around! I also like to use high quality rods and reels, because, they. just. work. all. the. time. and look great too!

Anyone have any specific rods they are in love with for Walleye or Crappie or Pike even?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.