Musky follow ??

• Deuces

Plan on doing some fishing this fall for em, being a complete newb I’m curious to what u fellas do after a follow with no bite.

Being mostly walleye smallmouth guy, if i keep getting bites with no hookups ur assessing bite marks on bait, seeing if jig color is off, maybe weight, perhaps plastic change from paddle to ringworm etc. A musky follow seems to me like a soft bite, something was there it liked, but not entirely….

What do you change if anything?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I keep a second and third setup rigged with a different lure and immediately throw a new lure at the fish when one follows. For example, if the muskie followed an in line spinner, I’ll throw back with something completely different like a slash bait instead. I do the exact same thing when I’m smallmouth fishing too. If they miss a topwater, toss back with a tube.

It’s easy to throw back with that exact same lure you just had a follow with, but your odds of getting that fish to bite are better with something else.

You could also mark the spot with a waypoint and come back later too.

I assume we’re talking pure strains here. Tigers don’t tend to follow nearly as much.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Throw back something like a jerk bait and sit and twitch it and give it big sporadic pulls

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I agree with Gimruis when he says “waypoint” it and come back later.

Tommy

Have a tube or a suick ready for a cast back. Otherwise come back later.

CaptainMusky

Yep definitely throw back a different type of lure to see if that triggers a bite. Like others said, mark the spot, come back at peak fish activity moon underfoot, overfoot sunrise/sunset.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.