Muskie Baits for River Walleye

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Anyone here slow troll muskie sized cranks in the river in the winter? Target being walleye over 27″.

I have a surplus of muskie baits and zero desire to muskie fish.

Thanks,
    Andy

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

No but that sounds like a cool idea that can’t hurt to try

catmando
    wis

MY biggest walleye was 12.5 caught on a depth raider, perch, trolling for musky, on a lake tho

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I know guys use them late into the fall, like Paul Delaney specifically targeting big walleye before ice up on the big lake.

Original Floating raps up to 18’s isn’t uncommon.

I’ve seen enough big eyes with 12″ shad tails hanging out their throats.

For me, right now is the time to try it. Looking for that real big one. I know she’s close.

catmando
    wis

I just know white is a great st coix color, for skies, you know sheephead ,silverbass

johnladick

i don’t think it is a bad idea. i caught a 15” smallmouth that hit a hog wobbler so it can get mixed results. i personally do not think the size of bait matters because i have caught numerous muskies, too many to count, jigging for walleyes with a 1/8oz fathead minnow so i wouldn’t get too terribly excited thinking you are going to catch bigger fish with bigger baits. just my 2 cents.

buschman
    Pool 2

Andy, I have tried this.. I also tried trolling flatsticks and jakes for flatheads as well. This was all on P2.

I did not have much luck and always fell back into large husky/x-raps or big swim baits 5.5 inches long. I think if I were to stick it out longer with the bigger musky baits I would have had some success. There is no doubt that they will eat it.

X-rap # 12 and husky jerks in # 14 are standard fair for those walleyes in the late fall and winter. Not just big ones but will catch 14 inch eyes on them also. So no doubt big fish will eat bigger baits. The common reason for changing is that these big musky cranks I was using all floated. The fish usually want a suspending bait this time of year. I think if you were to think different and try some glide baits you would have a better chance. Suspending glide baits to be specific on the cast.. Not trolling. that’s my two cents.

I have actually been carving out some baits the last few weeks just to try this. 4.5-5.5 inch glides with a shad profile. Sounds small but actually much bulkier than a 6-8 inch stick bait when you give the depth of a shad. Will see how this goes. haha.. Not a fast process so still working out some bugs before I really give it a solid go.

buschman
    Pool 2

Here is an example of a 4.75 inch glide that I was working on last night.. Goes into the weigh tank tonight and will get paint this weekend. Nothing that has not been made before but if I can get a specific action that I want there is a chance it could catch a walleye..

Attachments:
    1. walleye-glide.jpg

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Buschman- that is awesome! How’d it turn out?

catmando
    wis

Caught more than a few 30 inchers on a jointed Piky Minnow at night on Lakes again, that bait is about the right size for what you want, big but not 2 big

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’m good friends with a guy who fishes Mille lacs a lot for muskies, and he has caught a few nice walleyes on bulldawgs and had a 25” literally COMPLETELY inhale a magnum BD. Don’t ask me how that’s even possible but it happened. Come to think of it, he also had a low-20’s eye smash a top water Muskie bait off a rock reef over like 20fow up there once. Such a cool topic

buschman
    Pool 2

AUTO, here is where I am at now. I finished two in that body style above. We called the color pattern Kickass.. Lake Trout color but did very good on P2 with a #12 X-rap painted this color. One has a very slow sink. The other has a very slow rise. This is with a standard split ring and #4 trebles. Both can be adjusted to suspend or rise/drop faster by adjusting the hook and ring size.
    The second body style will be more of a bright shiner color when done. Same actions so I can try use them in different applications. Don’t know if they will trick Mississippi eyes but will be fun trying. These are 4.5-5.5 inches and building them to have a very neutral action. Mostly for targeting eyes in cold water. December-March is my idea anyways.

Attachments:
    1. glide-baits-kickass.jpg

2. glide-bait-char-shinner.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

Wow! Nice job on those buschman! Do you carve them by had or do you have cnc setup?

catmando
    wis

another good plug that has caught some nice walleyes on, is the Poes super ceader size 14, plus its caught its share of skie’s

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Wow, I’m diggin the paint jobs!

buschman
    Pool 2

Wow! Nice job on those buschman! Do you carve them by had or do you have cnc setup?

I carve them by hand. There are some good instructional videos on how to make any bait on youtube. you don’t need fancy tools. I use standard spray paint and acrylic for color and devcon 2-ton epoxy for the finish. They sell the eyes at cabelas in the trout fishing/tying tackle.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Great job on the detail of the carving. applause applause

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.