Mr. Heater Buddy FLEX

• bpholl
    North Metro, MN

Does anyone have any intel on this? I currently have a big buddy. Looks like this only runs 1 tank, but the benefit is the cooking accessory option.

https://www.mrheater.com/buddyflex

Ice Cap

Never seen one or heard of it before. I like multi-purpose things especially for ice fishing. So a heater/cooker would be nice. I bought the DeWalt heater last year. 6/12000 btu heater the handle is a bright led light, 2 usb ports for charging phones or other devices and a fan but it doesn’t turn into a stove but I really like it.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

It doesn’t fit in a standard milk crate.

length – 12.5 inches
    width – 9.5 inches
    height – 16 inches

Cooking accessory option sold seprately.

MSRP will be somewhere around $170-$180.

No fan like the big buddy heater.

The nice thing is it doesn’t have the ceramic burner, hopefully this will be able to take more abuse then the ceramic can.

Attachments:
    1. BBFlex-1.png

2. BBFlex.png

Charles

Never heard or seen that, but I did enter the drawing so what the hell. Seams like a cool idea.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

From what I can tell, the cooker is just a large stand alone unit that needs to connect to the flex heater “so you only need one propane source.” This likely won’t fly with the guys who have spent time figuring out how to cook on their buddy to save space/weight. If you wanted a separate stove you could bring a pocket rocket or a whisperlite for a fraction of the space.

The heater itself looks interesting – I wonder if it warms better than the big buddy. How long does the mesh last vs tile? And is there no hose pass through in the door for the external tank hookup so you have to leave the door flapping open?

Ice Cap

I guess I didn’t look closely enough I thought the heater could some how convert to a stove or hot plate. Yeah I’d pass on this one. Too many other options out there. I bought a small one burner propane/butane stove that’s smaller than my lap top that I keep in my fish house. If I’m in my portable I bring pre made sammies or something and never worry about heating things up as it’s usually just a day/evening trip.

If you’re in the market check out the DeWalt heater I mentioned. Great heater, lots of functions and runs of DeWalt 20V batteries.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

looks like you have to buy the burner separately from this video. the heater is listed at $170 and the burner another $95! Ill pass. like the concept but not at that price point.

Charles

So you can’t run the heater and the burner the same time. Well that isn’t cool.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Doesn’t look like it which you would of thought just running a simple “T” in there would fix that issue to put constant propane to the attachment nozel. Love the concept but certainly missed a couple key things like that especially if they are catering to hard water guys. The more we find out, the less appealing it becomes feature vs. feature of the big buddy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Definitely fits the bill as a shiny new toy, and probably works great but I won’t be getting one for the sole fact that I don’t want to lug that things around!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

All they had to do was make the Mr. Heater cooker with a adjustable heat control.

bigpike

Looks cool. What I dont like about these products is the overly protective shut off. Anything out of kilter a couple degrees and it shuts down

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I guess some may buy it??? But there’re way cheap options for a single burner camp stove and probable more portably without a hose.

I’ll continue to use the painter pan method if I choose to cook on the buddy heater.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

So you can’t run the heater and the burner the same time. Well that isn’t cool.

That is insane. $99 for a $13 cooktop that you cant use with the heater.

It is also designed so there is no way to create a way to cook on it. They could have just redesigned the big buddy with a proper cooking tray that catches all the mess, clamps on pretty, etc. I think these will sell to people who just run in to buy a heater, but not to people who do any research beforehand.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

Good talk – Thanks Guys! Sounds like my thinking is in line with others. As much as i love buying new gear for the ice, this one doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for my situation. I am curious to see some reviews as a heater this upcoming season.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I reheat brats and pizza on my little buddy. Sometimes when the bait doesn’t work I’ll just eat that! Lol

Attachments:
    1. F9C22AD2-9A99-41D5-9DC0-CB1830C9FA9E.jpeg

Ice Cap

I reheat brats and pizza on my little buddy. Sometimes when the bait doesn’t work I’ll just eat that! Lol

Waste not want not!! grin

Stcroixangler
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Just picked one up at Farm & Fleet. Seems like a solid unit. $149.99. Feels more solid than my Portable Buddy, anyway. The side storage area really isn’t that big. I can see a pair of light gloves fitting in there, but anything bulky… no way. I do like the add on option, but we’ll see if I really want to drop another $75 on that. A 2 hour burn time on high with a one pound cylinder means I’ll be utilizing my 20 lber for any longevity. I’ll try to post again once I fire it up.

Attachments:
    1. D94814E4-1145-46AF-8084-E535BA0D7CDD.jpeg

Cameron white

Coleman stove is a better option. They are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Sylvanboat

I have the Portable Buddy. Website says weight is 10.6 lbs. website says Flex is 11.02 lbs and Cooker attachment is another 6.17 lbs, for total of 17.2 lbs. I man haul my gear in my flip over with tackle, rods, Auger etc etc. Weight is a huge deal with me.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I bought a grill at the St Paul ice show that fits on the top of a big buddy. Cooked many things on it. Brats, pizza, soup. Got 2 scratch and dent ones for $10 each. I believe they’ve been discussed on here before.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought a grill at the St Paul ice show that fits on the top of a big buddy. Cooked many things on it. Brats, pizza, soup. Got 2 scratch and dent ones for $10 each. I believe they’ve been discussed on here before.

Could u post a picture of it?

Sylvanboat

YouTube has videos on grill hacks for Mr Buddy heaters.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

YouTube has videos on grill hacks for Mr Buddy heaters.

yeah ive seen many but have yet to find one that works well for me. some people use a frying pan jimmy rigged to fit on there and that would work but seems you need to right style pan. I purchased a painters wire mesh roller pan but its unclear to me if it has a coating on there that would burn off unhealthy fumes so i haven’t used that. If you have any good vides send them my way. Thanks!

Ripjiggen

It’s called a hot rack. A buddie makes them.

Attachments:
    1. A321578E-33C0-43DF-A7BF-2BC2A6C4A77B.png

2. 52006121-134A-4772-B25B-B661D51EA629.png

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I have exactly what Ripjiggen posted. The grill is matched to a specific style Buddy. The holes that the pegs lock into are different on each model.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.