Moving to Brainerd!

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Pretty excited to be moving to Brainerd end of May. I accepted a job position a few months back and the time has finally come. Finished college and get to move to a fisherman’s playground!

We have a cabin on North Long lake and I will be staying there until we close on a house mid June. Going to be nice being able to come home from work and fish right away! I’ve spent the last 4 years in Moorhead about an hour from the Detroit Lakes area. I’m really looking forward to moving to the area and being within a hour of some amazing lakes! Best part is that my girlfriend is just as excited as I am to be close to some of the best fishing in the state!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve thought about moving to the Lakes Area lots of times. Still haven’t found a way to make it happen though. Congratulations!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Way cool. My wife and I thought about making a move to the Brainerd area about 15 years ago. I wish now we had pulled the trigger. We decided to stay in the metro area till our child was done with school. Better Schools, Health care, Job options were our deciding factors. I know that area has changed a lot since then so those factors are probably a lot less these days. Did make a move 3 years ago that got us out of the metro and closer to the lakes area. I hope to find a place in the ottertail area when I’m retired. Love the lakes in that area.

39degrees

That is really awesome!!!!!!!!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

waytogo waytogo
    I’m happy for you.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Congratulations!!!

As it would happen I’m a temporary resident since march. Until my company calls us back on site I’ll be living at our family’s cabin over on the Gull chain.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Thanks everyone! Always wanted to end up somewhere like this at some point! I didn’t think it would happen this soon though. My buddy lives here as well and also guides all year. I’m going start guiding part-time for him as my weekends allow. Just enough to pay for one of them Warrior 2090s!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Warrior?,are your buddies Butch & Nate by chance?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Congrats! My wife and I looked at homes up there 7 years ago, but stayed in the NW metro. I still work up there often and stay up there 30+ days per year. Enjoy

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

When I moved up here the neighbors told me to sell the boat! Well I’m not fishing as much as a thought I was going to, but hey! Things still get in the way like work, chores, weather. Still can run out here and there. `
    Oh welcome to Brainerd!!!!

Charles

You will learn to love fishing small lakes on the weekends or fishing during the week more lol. Oh and learning to love weekend traffic.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

You will learn to love fishing small lakes on the weekends or fishing during the week more lol. Oh and learning to love weekend traffic.

I love fishing Gull lake. But its a lake you fish from before sunrise until about 10am then you better find somewhere else to go! Recreation out there is insane. Lots of smaller lakes I enjoy fishing. Like I said before, we’re lucky enough to have a cabin on North Long Lake, and that lake is mostly fishermen and not many recreation boats out running around. Having a cabin in the area has allowed me to spend quite a bit of time in the area so I’m familiar with the area and a handful of lakes!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

This is the best news I’ve heard about since the COVID thing took over all news.
    Congratulations and good to hear “there still is a chance” for the rest of us out there. waytogo

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

This is the best news I’ve heard about since the COVID thing took over all news.
    Congratulations and good to hear “there still is a chance” for the rest of us out there. waytogo

Thanks! I’m excited. Got a little worried that COVID was going to have an impact but I reached out to them to confirm everything and they said that the projects they are doing and have coming up are all still going to happen. I’m glad that COVID hasn’t impacted construction around here!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Congratulations!

Mos’

Congrats!

Excited to see how the lakes/fisheries in Brainerd compare to the Becker/OT county fisheries!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

No sir!

No sir!

No sir!

just wondered, they are two of the best guides in the area and work out of S&W bait. Both are 100% Warrior.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

No sir!

No sir!

No sir!

just wondered, they are two of the best guides in the area and work out of S&W bait. Both are 100% Warrior.

Sounds like an introduction is necessary! My buddy Logan guides out of s&w also. I’m sure he knows them. I might have to snatch up one of their guide rigs when they upgrade!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Do you musky fish? You should consider it.

You have the Mississippi River, Gull (in a few years) and the Hackensack/Longville area within an hour’s drive. Less than 90 minutes to Leech and about 90 to Cass.

Great move! Brainerd, Alexandria, Fergus, and Detroit Lakes are the fishing Meccas of Minnesota.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

My buddy lives here as well and also guides all year. I’m going start guiding part-time for him as my weekends allow. Just enough to pay for one of them Warrior 2090s!

I’ll make you a deal to share fishing tips. You can give me pointers on what’s working. My specialty will be giving you the where they aren’t and what doesn’t get them to bite rotflol rotflol

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

You have the Mississippi River, Gull (in a few years) and the Hackensack/Longville area within an hour’s drive. Less than 90 minutes to Leech and about 90 to Cass.

Great move! Brainerd, Alexandria, Fergus, and Detroit Lakes are the fishing Meccas of Minnesota.

I currently do not musky fish. I’ve been trying to avoid it as I spend quite a bit of money on fishing equipment as it is… 20$ a lure might just be the end of me if I take up musky fishing!!!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

I currently do not musky fish. I’ve been trying to avoid it as I spend quite a bit of money on fishing equipment as it is… 20$ a lure might just be the end of me if I take up musky fishing!!!

You don’t really need that many baits. I learned that when I was invited up to Leech for my first musky trip. Two buddies, both of whom owned giant boxes of tackle worth at least $2500 each, used about 6 baits each the whole time. I think $2-300 with of baits is all it really takes to cover all the bases. Baits are black, white, and sucker-colored. The area where you don’t want to cheap out is the reel. Shimano Tranx 400hg is the way to go at $300. 80lb braid. Put that on a $150-200 9′ heavy powered rod for 2-8oz baits, and you’re good to go. Two rod/reel combos are nice, but one is all you need.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Mille Lacs is closer than Leech and Cass. Brainerd is 30 minutes to Garrison on Hwy 18/Hwy 6.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

Mille Lacs is closer than Leech and Cass. Brainerd is 30 minutes to Garrison on Hwy 18/Hwy 6.

Yes, in my eyes there’s no better place for fishing! Up here in Moorhead I had to drive a hour to an hour and a half for most lakes. It’ll be nice being able to fish within 15 mins of our house! No more waking up at 4am to be on the water by 5:30!

B-man

Congrats man!

That would be an awesome area to live

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.