Mounting spare tire carrier on Ice Castle

• Bradlee Karan

Has anyone done this? Bought a new Ice Castle Explorer month ago and want to mount a spare tire carrier. Bought a spare tire carrier from Forest Lake Ice Castle dealer but no mounting hardware or instructions. Going to do the trial and error on bolt size unless someone has info they would like to share. I am a little concerned on drilling into the non-galvanized frame but I’m told by dealer no big impact on life of frame.

This one also doesn’t seem to have anyway to lock the tire. With what these tires cost thinking I want a lock.

Thanks,
    Lee

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you google around I bet Smokey Hills has a video on installing them, they do a lot of videos. Otherwise I would set it up mark my holes, drill it out and maybe use some paint or sealer on the exposed metal and bolt it up. As far as a lock, look into it, you could use a locking lug nut from a car, but if you loose the key it could be a struggle to get it off.

mrpike1973

I have the little Jigger and put it in the very back I drilled the frame holes painted them. Then put the carrier on. I also put a little silicone on the bolt heads and ends one year and no rust on bolts or frame. Your right a template and instructions would have been nice.

Hookset
    Southern MN

Northstar Recreation (south of the metro area) sells a spare tire mount that straddles the tongue of the trailer and bolts below so no drilling is required. Last castle had been bolted to the frame, but IMO less holes in the frame means less water, salt ect. That you can’t clean off after each use.
    Mine also has a plate that goes on after the tire is bolted up that has a padlock hole in front of it, I found a pic but can’t post it for some reason.

MX1825

Even if your wheels are plain steel I always use chrome lug nuts to mount them. The end of chrome nuts are closed so no problem with rusty threads on the studs. All wheels and spare get chrome.

Bradlee Karan

Thanks everyone for the replies. Nice to find a website with activity for ice fishing.

I did get it mounted. Went in pretty smoothly. Used 3/8″ bolts, 3″ long and had enough for fender washer, locking washing and nylon nut. I did put Marine Silicon (thanks MrPike1973) on both end of the bolt before tighten down. Painted the holes after drilling and after tightening everything up I sprayed in some Flex Seal in the hole cut into the foam, covering the back end of the bolt and nut. Should not be easy to get out but hopefully won’t rust.

Have tire cover coming today but still looking for long chrome lug nuts to cover the end of the stud.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Have tire cover coming today but still looking for long chrome lug nuts to cover the end of the stud.

If you keep it covered I would not worry to much about the lug nuts.

mrpike1973

Bradlee, As John said he’s correct on the lug nuts. with the cover on the tire was amazed at how well everything was clean this spring when I took off the cover to check air pressure. If it makes you feel good do it no harm glad it went well. Happy Fishing! Now for some ice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.