Mork Zarkleburg

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Anyone else catch any of Zuck’s hearings in DC this week? It was actually super entertaining.

I’m not really a Zuckerberg fan and I’m definitely not a fan of most politicians, but it was funny seeing Zuck squirm a bit and also listen to some old dudes that have no idea what facebook does or how it works. And holy crap, the questions about facebook listening to your phone calls and stuff, pretty funny.

Either way, looks like facebook could be headed towards some regulation.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s a very important question….

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am not sure of the correct answer, I will have my team follow up with your team… coffee

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s funny because he became a billionaire from mining peoples information and selling it to advertisers.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

First off, anyone else think the guy looks like Data from the old Start Trek – Next Gen series?

Best quote – “Congress, we either do nothing or we over react”

-J.

Attachments:
    1. Data.jpg

2. zuckerberg.jpg

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s funny because he became a billionaire from mining peoples information and selling it to advertisers.

They don’t actually sell that information to advertisers though. They allow advertisers to target certain ‘types’ of people. Facebook sells the advertising service and a platform to reach billions of people, they aren’t out there sending advertisers big spreadsheets of personal data.

An advertiser doesn’t call up facebook and say, “we’ll give you $2MM if you can send us information on 100,000 people in the midwest who would be most interested in St. Croix fishing rods.”

The advertiser goes onto the platform and says, “I want to reach 100,000 people who live in this geographic location who would be interested in fishing.” Facebook’s algorithm’s mine through the vast amounts of data they have on people and match up the ad to an audience that would be likely to interact with it. Facebook gets paid if someone clicks on the ad, and the advertiser gets more traffic to their site. Some of those ad clicks are worth multiple DOLLARS just for a click. Multiply that by the hundreds of millions or billions of ads that get served up every day and you have a looooottt of ad revenue coming in.

Zuckerberg also definitely seems like he might not be a human, potentially alien or robot with a skin suit.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You’re correct and I totally understand that but he is essentially doing it in a round about way.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I haven’t followed this too closely but I don’t see what the big deal is here. The minute I started an account and started posting pics and personal data, I assumed it was all be traced. You’d have to be an idiot if you didn’t think otherwise and a larger idiot if you posted info on Facebook that you didn’t want out there.

Heck, I looked for a Twins hat one day…for the following month I was seeing add banners to buy Twins hat! I don’t get what this is all about. Advertiser have been doing this since Al Gore invented the WWW.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Does anyone know exactly what personal data was given out by FB?

I know other thoughts might differ (I know of one person that still feels the internet is the devil in a box) but what specific personal info?

Name
    Possibly political group
    Phone number
    Email address
    Birthdate…

No medical
    Finacial
    Tax statements
    were given out that I could tell…

If they could listen to my conversations, they would all be running around like 1st graders by now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Why am I affected?

In 2014, about 270,000 people accessed a personality quiz from an app called This is Your Digital Life. Those who participated unknowingly shared personal information — including birthdays, pages they’ve liked and in some cases, even private messages — to Cambridge Analytica.

The process also shared the data of their Facebook friends. This means even if you didn’t take the quiz, and your Facebook friend did, you’re likely affected.

News of the improper collection surfaced last month.”

More Answers

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The moment you got a cell phone and a permanent internet connection your privacy ended.

Reef W

I haven’t followed this too closely but I don’t see what the big deal is here. The minute I started an account and started posting pics and personal data, I assumed it was all be traced. You’d have to be an idiot if you didn’t think otherwise and a larger idiot if you posted info on Facebook that you didn’t want out there.

Heck, I looked for a Twins hat one day…for the following month I was seeing add banners to buy Twins hat! I don’t get what this is all about. Advertiser have been doing this since Al Gore invented the WWW.

You have a facebook profile even if you never signed up. For one they collect users contacts, SMS, and call histories.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I generally don’t care what they share unless it is say SS#, DL#, Credit Card #s things that could directly be used to steal my identity. The only thing Facebook could have is a credit card number and it is already illegal to share that.

I heard a hilarious sound bite on the news this morning.

While Zuckerberg was pretty good at answering yes or no to Eshoo’s questions, it wasn’t so simple with the business model question. “Are you willing to change your business model in the interest of protecting individual privacy?” she asked.

“Congresswoman, we have made and are continuing to make changes to reduce the amount of data…” Zuckerberg said. Eshoo stopped him and repeated her question word for word.

“Congresswoman, I’m not sure what that means,” Zuckerberg said.

Who does he think he is, Obi Wan Kenobi?

Business model? What is this grand planned strategy you speak of?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In 2014, about 270,000 people accessed a personality quiz from an app called This is Your Digital Life.

I remember that one. I was a Digital Ninja

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For one they collect users contacts, SMS, and call histories.

Is that why I get all the hooker ads? yay

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

You have a facebook profile even if you never signed up. For one they collect users contacts, SMS, and call histories.

Oh great!!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>
    For one they collect users contacts, SMS, and call histories.

Is that why I get all the hooker ads? yay

If you need a hooker to set the line BK I think laying off the BON BONs should be in order. One more hamm’s a day would be a good supplement or spam with arugula.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Oh great!!

Is that kinda like how I have multiple accounts that I never opened with wells Fargo? Digital crooks are everywhere whether you spend a lot of time on the internet or whether you are 80 and leave your house in your 1992 Silverado once a week to deposit some half dollars you’ve been saving in a show box since 1963. Unless you pull a Unabomber and sit in a shack on a mountain side for 15 years you are vulnerable in the year 2018

big_g
    Isle, MN

I want to know… of the 87 Million that were breached… how many flipped from Hillary to Trump because of it…? giving credence to the current ongoing “# WTF Happened Tour ?”

big_g
    Isle, MN

hehehe… booster seat smile

Attachments:
    1. zuck-boost.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

IT’S A WITCH HUNT!!!!

Surprised no one has said that yet…

Reef W

I generally don’t care what they share unless it is say SS#, DL#, Credit Card #s things that could directly be used to steal my identity.

Those things just make it easier. What happens if you want to reset your online banking password for example? Maybe it will ask you to verify your security questions which might be things like:

– mothers maiden name?
    – what is the name of your pet?
    – what was your first car?
    – what street did you grow up on?
    – what was your high school mascot?

These are just examples off the top of my head but the point is a lot of these are very easy to find out if you’ve been using Facebook for most of your life. There are kids now whose entire life, from birth, has been documented on Facebook. Combine the parent’s profile with the kids profile and all these answers are even easier to find. A lot of the silly quizzes people take are also just handing over answers to questions like this. What else might you need? Name, email, phone number, address… that’s all uploaded out of an acquaintances contacts even if you don’t provide it yourself. Where you live and work could come from providing it like adding an address to an event or it could come from the mobile app recording locations or maybe from GPS coordinates in uploaded pictures.

Ok… I’ll stop rambling because you could go on forever. A lot of little things that people think are inconsequential, when all put together, can create an extremely accurate profile of a person. It’s very important to know what’s stored and how it’s shared.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

MSN posts a poll just about every day that starts out relating to a current event. The last question is the poll more times than not is what age group am I in and what is my annual salary. Phishing much?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

You’re correct and I totally understand that but he is essentially doing it in a round about way.

I get what you’re saying, but I think there is a very real and important difference.

I generally don’t care what they share unless it is say SS#, DL#, Credit Card #s things that could directly be used to steal my identity. The only thing Facebook could have is a credit card number and it is already illegal to share that.

I deal with this all the time in my job. While losing a name+birthday or name+email address doesn’t seem like a big deal, it makes it A LOT easier to phish information from someone if you know some personal details. Especially from less tech savvy individuals, elderly, etc. Sure, you can’t open up a credit card with someone’s name and email, but you might be able to get them to inadvertently give more private information to you.

So for most people it shouldn’t be a huge deal, but it can lead to bigger ‘breaches’, or at least an easier time for phishermen(lol).

Kyhl
    Savage

The one I found interesting is that FB had an option to do reverse phone number lookups. Outside individuals, or whoever, could hit FB sequentially with numbers to gain information on people and create their own database.

FB said they rejected bots after a few hit from the same IP address but how hard is it for bots to create a spoof IP address to hit FB over and over to create a list of people by cell phone number and connect the dots from any other public information on their FB page, relatives, likes, friends, locations, follows….

FB finally closed that option a week ago, before heading to congress.

I rarely use FB, don’t have a phone number connected to the account, and neither does my wife, but this has taught me to review the permissions granted to my phone apps. A lot of app permissions were shut down yesterday. Likewise, I don’t use the FB app, and turned off almost all of its permissions.

This morning I checked out what Google has on me and was happy to see that they had very little, other than youtube searches for fishing shows and South Park clips. laugh They had zero location tracking on me, or at least tracking that I could see.

I’ll look into what FB has on me later, and review google search history when I’m not at work.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And just think about how much data google, YouTube and amazon is keeping on you.

big_g
    Isle, MN

and the guberment. Let’s not fool ourselves here. whistling

Kyhl
    Savage

and the guberment. Let’s not fool ourselves here. whistling

Right. That is why it is in congress’s best interest to put on this farce of a grilling then do nothing substantial about it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Who do you think is doing the mining for them?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is textbook example on how Crony Capitalism works. Industry Leader has highly publicized incident, Gov’t comes to “help”, Govt realizes they don’t know anything about the industry, get Industry Leader to help write the regulations, Industry Leader retains some level of monopoly now with the backing of governments force. Politicians who sponsor the bill, now have financial backing of industry leader indefinitely.

http://www.aier.org/blog/facebook-hearings-reveal-how-government-regulations-work

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.