more foul ball netting?

• Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Well as a spectator that got hit in the head with a puck at a hockey game, I’m all in on more nets…those things hurt. The average person simply can’t react to the speeds those balls are going. And not just balls how about bats?

big_g
    Isle, MN

If they cannot extend to the foul poles… why not take them down behind the plate ? Shouldn’t they be paying attention too ?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I was thinking the same thing…. pay a lot of money to be behind the plate and they look through nets.

LaTroy Hawkins just voiced support for netting to the foul poles (FWIW) and noticed Chicago’s ballpark has already done it

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Went to a company outing at the trop. We were down the side in left field. I made a point to look at the normal netting down the left infield and even from that angle and distance you could see through the netting well. It was barely noticeable.

I’m in the camp of extend them all the way down now. There is no reason to put people in danger.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

By the way, the trop is a dump.

Attachments:
    1. 20190722_180341.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was at a pirates game earlier this week. They are a customer of ours so we visited and got to sit in one of their boxes.

This subject came up as we were chatting with one of their execs and he said all the teams will be extending in the very near future. He said one reason the Sox did it so quickly was the geometry of their stadiums made rigging the nets pretty straight forward. Many of the stadiums backstops and areas does the lines aren’t straight so hanging the netting is an engineering challenge. He showed us some of it and PNC when we did a stadium tour and it’s pretty complex to hand and tighten the netting.

He was very clear they would figure it out in the off-season because the last they want is a kid to get killed or seriously injured.

He also said it’s not about fans paying attention. With balls coming off the bat at 115mph people can’t react.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Many of the stadiums backstops and areas does the lines aren’t straight so hanging the netting is an engineering challenge. He showed us some of it and PNC when we did a stadium tour and it’s pretty complex to hand and tighten the netting.

It’s clear that the MLB needs to man up and make it mandatory this offseason. Then split the cost amongst all teams. I’m not going to pretend that it isn’t a challenge but I can guarantee there are plenty of companies chomping at the bit to provide a solution.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

“There’s no crying in baseball!”

buck up buttercups. turning into a nation full of pussy cats

Nice handle…did you know snowflakes are one of a kind but trolls are a dime a dozen?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.