More cheese please

• SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Getting low on my stash and it was perfect cheese smoking weather at a balmy 16 degrees this morning. 10 pounds of medium cheddar and 4 pounds of Swiss.

Attachments:
    1. CDF73750-D00D-47FB-AB73-3EF4C20A1FEF.jpeg

2. 2CB53860-6DB3-4757-A475-5FB649A8F342.jpeg

Iowaboy1

would you quit doing that and posting it please !!! there is slobber all over my screen and keyboard !!!
    dont quit,I was just kidding,its just another thing I have to learn how to smoke on my smoker.

riverruns
    Inactive

I’ll be doing quite a bit of smoking next weekend. Do you just buy some cheese and put it in the smoker? Never done this before. Thanks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

dont quit,I was just kidding,its just another thing I have to learn how to smoke on my smoker.

I think the problem you may have Sheldon is confusing smoking cheese with smoking ditch weed….they spray that stuff ya know. Actual cheese as Dave shows goes into a smoker type apparatus, not in rolling paper or a pipe.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’ll be doing quite a bit of smoking next weekend. Do you just buy some cheese and put it in the smoker? Never done this before. Thanks.

I buy 5 pound blocks at Costco and cut them into 1 pound chunks. Cheese is cold smoked (virtually no heat) so it is tricky for the common smoker or a novice. If you gave me some information about your smoker, I’d be willing to help. Buying an Amazen smoking tube or maze also makes doing it a breeze in these winter temps.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

would you quit doing that and posting it please !!! there is slobber all over my screen and keyboard !!!

You would have had a couple of blocks in the mail but I never got my cookies. hahaha! Sheryl says you ate them all.

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

I think the problem you may have Sheldon is confusing smoking cheese with smoking ditch weed….they spray that stuff ya know. Actual cheese as Dave shows goes into a smoker type apparatus, not in rolling paper or a pipe.

AHEM!! I said on my smoker,not in my smoker !! lmao.
    I havent had any weed in thirty some years now,last time I did it was laced with something and dang neart put me in the hospital.
    no fun waking up with your tongue stuck to the side of your face wide eyed,drooling and staring at the sun.

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

You would have had a couple of blocks in the mail but I never got my cookies. hahaha! Sheryl says you ate them all.

and she lies like a rug !! she ate them all !!!
    honestly havent made them yet,you will get your share when we get around to it,dang grandkids anyways !!

riverruns
    Inactive

If you gave me some information about your smoker, I’d be willing to help. Buying an Amazen smoking tube or maze also makes doing it a breeze in these winter temps.

Here is my smoker. I have the tube you speak of. I also had a friend make one that will last 24 hours. I have a smoke generator built by my brother in law.

My smoker is wired 220v with base board heaters. It also has a thermostat that can heat from 40° up too 250°.

I’m smoking pork bellies Friday at 90° for 8 hours until I get home from work. Then it’s summer sausage and snack sticks, dried venison, polish sausage, and pepperoni into the smoker.

I’ll be smoking meat all next weekend and finding an open window for some smoked cheese would be easy. Only looking too do 5# or so.
    Thanks.

Attachments:
    1. 20181205_170244.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

I can also do the cheese on my pellet smoker. Not sure if that can get a low enough temperature for smoking cheese? Thsnks.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I smoke cheese. I buy different kinds of the 1/2 lb chunks. Cut them in half. Fill the Amazon tube, lite.lay the cheese on grill grate. Cover and let it buck. All I use is my Weber charcoal grill. Holds 4 lbs of cheese.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Riveruns, you don’t want to exceed 80 degrees box temp. Today, I smoked just with the tube and no outside heating. A grill would be a fine vessel just to hold the cheese and tube, don’t turn it on. Start with 3 hours of smoke time. The cheese then needs to be wrapped and put in the frig for at least 10 days to mellow before testing.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Riverruns,

Where’s the access door on that thing?

Iowaboy1

so,if you smoke the cheese and the chef is his/hers own worst enemy,who cuts the cheese???

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I took my first stab at smoking some cheese on my Weber about 2 weeks ago. I just tried some string cheese and a few pieces of gouda. It turned out well. I smoked it for 2 hours. I may cut that back a little bit next time as I don’t think the string cheese needed quite so long. It’s delicious, though!

Attachments:
    1. CHEESE.jpg

bigpike

What are you guys, a bunch of stinking cheeseheads?

riverruns
    Inactive

Riverruns,

Sorry Denny. 11 weeks late to your response. It’s at the back of the smoker.

Attachments:
    1. 20190217_185118.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What are you guys, a bunch of stinking cheeseheads?

WHoa whoa whoa, no personal nasty insults like that BigPike!!! That’s about as bad as it gets… rotflol waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Great. tongue now I need to get some cheese to smoke again. Thanks guys. doah jester

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Great. tongue now I need to get some cheese to smoke again. Thanks guys. doah jester

I got some, just ain’t got to it.

so,if you smoke the cheese and the chef is his/hers own worst enemy,who cuts the cheese???

Let there be no one close to you within the county if you do!! Pepe Le Pew!

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>
    Riverruns,

Sorry Denny. 11 weeks late to your response. It’s at the back of the smoker.

Thanks, I know I’m back in flavor once again! wave

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

What are the recommended smoking times for cheese? Never tried this , but have all the equipment and want to give it a try

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Mike, size of the blocks dictate time to some degree as does the chamber you are smoking them in. For 1 pound blocks I recommend that you start with about 2 hours. Let it rest for a week to 10 days and test.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Ralph, white cheese always takes the smoke much easier than a hard yellow cheese. Little string cheese strips would require very little time.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cub had a sale on blocks of cheese, so I picked up a bunch and smoked them last night. Now, for the waiting…

When you smoke a batch of cheese, do you freeze them after they’ve rested? Or do you eat that much cheese? Or does it keep well in the fridge?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When you smoke a batch of cheese, do you freeze them after they’ve rested? Or do you eat that much cheese? Or does it keep well in the fridge?

After they have passed my taste test, I vacuum seal them and put them back in the fridge. They last quite a while if you are not a cheese person but we end up eating about a pound a week so it doesn’t last all that long for us. I also make lots of friends by sharing some and getting them hooked on smoking their own cheese.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve had cheese last in the freezer for 9 months after it was smoked and vaced I can’t attest to past that as it did not last after that.

80 degrees is as high a one might want to have the cabinet temperature to go.

Sometimes ya gotta take it out and put it back in only to do that all over again.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Before I started using the tube, I’d use one rack for nothing but pans of ice and I could keep the cheese zone well below 80 degrees. Now with the tube, I can actually drop below ambient with the rack of ice and use this method for summer cheese smokes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Think I figured out why you smoke cheese when it’s 20 degrees and not 70. doah

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190616_181316310.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Glenn, I apologize for laughing but that’s pretty funny right there. Even in Winter, I don’t think smoking over direct heat would work.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i didnt use direct heat Dave, i had already taken the smoking tube off and a few chunks of cheese when i remembered to take the picture. it was cold smokes, supposedly!!!!!!! i use the weber kettlle because its more air tight then my gas grill!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.