Power Bait and Gulp

• UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Do these “get old” or “go bad” while in their sealed packages? How about after the packages have been opened?

I ask becasue I was wandering around in one of the local fishing emporiums, and in the clearance bins there was an assortment of differant sizes, shapes, colors of these products, in the $2 range, while on the shelf, you found the same brand products for closer to $5.

Thanks

UG

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Power bait generally doesn’t go bad. It may lose some smell if opened. Gulp I don’t have much experience with but I think it will be fine as long as the water stays in the bag.

GNFISN

Powerbait you treat like any plastics , but Gulp has to be treated as Pork Rind.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Gulp dries up in a very evil way. Tight onto your hooks in a little as 15 minutes in the sun. In the bag, my Gulps that we’re stored in the bag have dried up. Could be partially my fault cause wasn’t careful about sealing them. If I was at a store considering buying them at a discount, you should be able to feel them by squishing the bag. If still really soft then go for it, otherwise pass.

irishjigs

I’m not sure if this is a helpful hint or not…because it’s kinda common sense: After I open the seal on a Gulp bag, after closing the best I can using the ziploc type thing on the bag, I will also put all open Gulp bags into a Ziploc bag and that will usually take care of any air that might seep through. It seems to work as I have Gulp that is over a year old and still good.

eye_hunter

i dont really use any gulp. but the reason why is that i am not so sure it is better than live bait. for example if i was to use a piece of minnow gulp and throw the line out leaving it sit out there will fish eat it? i know that fish will eat a real dead minnow if it is just sitting out there, but i am not so sure about gulp. does anyone have the answer?

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I have found out that when the fish are super aggressive, they will eat Gulp as good as live bait.

On the other hand, when they are picky, it is tough to beat the real thing.
    I always have some in my boat, just in case.
    I have had good luck sealing the bags up, and keeping them out of the sun, and then it should last like regular Powerbaits.
    The key is to leave the baits in the ziplock bags they come in, and make sure you seal them tight.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.