Lake Winona

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been out on Lake Winona yet and if so how was the fishing. I will be heading out there tonight for a while if the weather holds off. I am wondering mainly about the bass fishing. Thanks in advance.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Here’s my Lake Winona Report from the weekend

Was out for 1 1/2hrs last night again (before the huge down pout drove us off). 2 large mouth (17″ & 18″) and one 31″ slimmer.

Deep diving cranks along the outside weed edge.

Looks like it’s gonna be another nice night…..I might be out there (16′ camo boat with a 30hp mariner and rear trolling motor), if ya see me say HI!!!

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey Jake the girlfriend and I will be out there about 5 or so. I have a blue and silver nitro with a 115 merc on it. I will look for you. Hopefully the weather holds off. Thanks for the info.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Hey, Jake. What’s a down pout? Is that like an eel pout on drugs?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Yeah Putz….something like that

Didn’t see ya out there tonight Buzzbait . Fishing was slower for us. Only one 18″er and one small fish. Wind made it tough to see the weed line.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah we were out there from about 5-8 or so. We were working the shoreline closest to the highway pretty heavy. We managed the same thing. We had one 3lbs and a real small one. It was tough out there with the wind. Oh Well maybe see you out there next time.

2Fishy4U

Being from Winona, I was going to say something not so nice about folks who prefer that dead body of water to the Mississippi. But results speak for themselves and about the time you were catching nice fish on Lake Winona I was reeling in 12 inch Walleyes on the Mississippi.

Good job.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I know a couple retired guys who use to fish that lake and caught some really nice northerns. One year they witnessed 3000 dogfish being dumped in there.
    Thanks, Bill

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

There use to be a bounty on them for a while. If you caught one somewhere else and brought it to them you got a little jingle. They are doing this to control the bluegill pop. A buddy of mine did a study of the lake and said that there are roughly 400,000 bluegills per acre. That is why they are so stunted.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Not sure if it is true or not but at one time I had heard that the MN DNR reported Lake Winona to have the highest density bluegill population of any lake in the state. Based on # of fish per acre. I had never heard about the dog fish thing and I have yet to catch one out there.

I tend to take the kids to fish there when the Miss. is high and the fishing is slow, there is always action on those lakes and some nice bass too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.