MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Considering the league is at the 1/2 way point, where are your expectations now?

Personally I’m still worried about a slump. Perhaps the increased scoring will help them avoid the slumps we’ve seen the previous two seasons. I think they make the playoffs easily with expectations and preparation to get to the conf final. Beyond that I’m not sure where they stand. On paper they should be inferior to any other teams making the conf finals.

CaptainMusky

I chuckled when I heard that too Pug, about those players saying they would play tonight. They are kids afterall, but I bet they changed their mind.

Jost and Terry both played for their teams. Terry I believe had 30 mins sleep. He must have been sleep-walking because he had 5 pts in that game! What an animal! Its tourneys like this that can really catapult a career.

CaptainMusky

Considering the league is at the 1/2 way point, where are your expectations now?

Personally I’m still worried about a slump. Perhaps the increased scoring will help them avoid the slumps we’ve seen the previous two seasons. I think they make the playoffs easily with expectations and preparation to get to the conf final. Beyond that I’m not sure where they stand. On paper they should be inferior to any other teams making the conf finals.

I think everything you have known about this team from previous years you should just crumple up in a ball and throw in the trash bin. This team is impressive to watch. Another great effort last night.
    4 fewer games than the Hawks and only 2 pts back. 5 out of 6 pts on this tough CA road trip!
    I’m a believer in this team.
    Some other tasty stats are: 10-5-1 when the opponent scores first. Last year they were something like 5-26!!
    They have come back from multiple goal deficits several times including in the 3rd period.
    Yeah, they have allowed more goals recently, but Dubnyk still has best GAA, S%, # of shutouts and second in wins.
    Granlund and Coyle playing on the wing is making a huge difference. Granlund is leading the league in scoring in the last 20 games!
    After seeing them blow a 2 goal lead to the Kings, but come back last night with a solid performance to win in Anaheim, where its always tough to play and they were 7-0-1 recently, that is impressive.
    I don’t see a swoon from this team this year.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I was definitely impressed with the CA road trip. toast

The announcers last night were even saying this team has good thing going and might be the team to beat!

JoeMX1825
    MN

5/6 points on an incredibly tough 3 games in 4 days west coast road trip is IMPRESSIVE! I don’t see the mid-season let down with this team because our scoring is so balanced…

This team is looking really good right now…but it all comes down to facing their Blackhawk demons in the playoffs…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My expectations remain the same and guarded. Last night they seemed to get back to their game more, where as the previous 6 games were concerning. Now my only real concern is that they remain relatively healthy.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

This team is looking really good right now…but it all comes down to facing their Blackhawk demons in the playoffs…

Hopefully they are seated high enough that someone else gives the blackhawks a beat down first chased

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Another nice thing is the Wild have had a road heavy schedule so far this season. I think they may have played the fewest number of home games in the NHL. So… some of these comebacks are happening on the road which is a good thing to see. If I’m not mistaken the Wild’s schedule to date may have 7 home games in-hand vs. the Blackhawks.

Barring some Vikingesque collapse the Wild are setting themselves up for some home game seedings come playoffs.

CaptainMusky

I read this morning that Boudreau didn’t get any sort of recognition from the Ducks during the game. Classless move IMO. Love him or not, Yeo had a nice piece put together when the Blues came back. Shows that some organizations lack professionalism and class.
    Did they forget that they fired BB? Not like he left there and came here while under contract.
    Its customary to recognize former coaches, well, especially ones who were successful. 4 Division titles and nothing?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know how the Hawks are doing so well. I look a the Roster and you have Keith, Kane and Toews and then a bunch of retreads and aged vets. Maybe you can include Hossa with those other 3, but other than that…

I have a feeling the Hawks are going to fall off and perhaps the Blues and another team have a good run in them in the second half. But this division doesn’t feel as dominant as it was. I don’t get it. I don’t think there was a lot of change over with the other teams?

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

I don’t know how the Hawks are doing so well. I look a the Roster and you have Keith, Kane and Toews and then a bunch of retreads and aged vets. Maybe you can include Hossa with those other 3, but other than that…

I have a feeling the Hawks are going to fall off and perhaps the Blues and another team have a good run in them in the second half. But this division doesn’t feel as dominant as it was. I don’t get it. I don’t think there was a lot of change over with the other teams?

Don’t forget the bread man. Maybe this can be the season the wild oust the hawks in the playoffs.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Who’s the breadman? Crawford? He’s pretty average.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I read this morning that Boudreau didn’t get any sort of recognition from the Ducks during the game. Classless move IMO.

Bruce’s dismissal is a raw subject in Anaheim. Firing him put the GM’s butt on the line because now anything less than the run to the cup (the one thing Boudreau supposedly “couldn’t” produce) proves the whole firing was a ridiculously stupid move and the GM will pay with his head.

Most fans and the Anaheim media were against the firing as were most of the players. So the last thing the GM is going to allow is the Ducks organization to bring up Bruce during a game with his new team that happens to be tearing up the west.

Ironically, by not doing the tribute, it became a much bigger story.

The 2016-17 wild are just vastly more resilient, better coached, and more fundamentally sound.

The only thing that will drag us down now is the weight of unrealistic expectations. Dubnyk isn’t going to have a shutout every night. Just because he gives up a 4 goal game, it’s not time to go Panic Chicken and run around clucking that he’s lost it.

Totally agree with others and I think it’s obvious that Bruce has already been beating into this team that the goal is nothing short of a division title. No more backing into the playoffs, the goal is to make the Blackhawks get beat up by a good team BEFORE they even get the chance to play the Wild.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

Who’s the breadman? Crawford? He’s pretty average.

Artemi Panerin. You know, like Panera bread?

CaptainMusky

I don’t get it. I don’t think there was a lot of change over with the other teams?

The Blues lost Backes, Elliot and Brouwer. Those were 3 key guys for them. I think that will have a lasting effect on that team.
    I’m surprised the Stars aren’t better. Their goal tending is just plain awful.
    The Division is ripe for the picking and now is the time to grab it.
    I don’t have Stanley Cup expectations with this team, but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.
    Look at who they have beat Montreal, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Ducks, Sharks, etc etc. Those are all teams that are at or near the top of their respective Divisions. It proves they can compete with the best of the best. Yes, we are less than half way through the season, but if this trend continues it hard to not get excited.
    I am a MN sports fan afterall, the other shoe is about to drop I know!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ah! Yes, Panerin is legit. And yes, Backes was a big hit for the Blues, but they are still holding their own.

One of the reasons I would love Krill to turn out as a blue chip is because Tarasenko is probably my favorite player right now in the league. Him and Kucherov are both my favorites.

Just think, if Krill and Ek play on a line, we can call it the Acrylic line.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, I think they were saying one more year after this year. He’ll be 21.

I hope this year’s juniors wasn’t a mirage for the Wild prospects.

Found this article on him where they ask some questions. I like the answers, he seems pretty grounded.

The Hockey Writers

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For the first time in 10 years, I’m really optimistic about the Wild not just in terms of the present team, but the future.

Kaprisov, Ek, Tuch, Kunin, and Greenway. All will likely be ready for the big club, or at least be available by the 2018-2019 season. Tuch is already in Iowa. Not to mention we still have some players already with the Iowa Wild players that I think have quality development potential like Lucia, Oolafson, etc.

Back to the present team, the thing I like that wasn’t there in the past is this version of the Wild actually take advantage of weakness. Goaltender playing poorly? Wild victimize him. Look at the game against price and the Canadiens. Price was over playing and the Wild made him pay. In the past they were never quite able to do this, a lot of pipe clanking, etc, but now they are exploiting weaknesses.

Personally, I think this is Bruce’s vastly greater experience coming through. The Wild are being coached well and the emphasis on using defense to open up the offense is working and as soon as the players stat to lean to the offense, you can see Bruce’s face turn red and he starts having conversations with players.

When the Wild play their game with all players, they are one of the most dangerous teams in the NHL.

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

When the Wild play their game with all players, they are one of the most dangerous teams in the NHL.

I was kind of expecting a Denny Greenism in there…

JoeMX1825
    MN

you can see Bruce’s face turn red and he starts having conversations with players.

This is a good point and obviously working alot better than Yeo sipping from his water bottle…

It’s been mentioned in several articles that Bruce actually takes the time to talk to players about things non-hockey related and that the veterans appreciate this alot, you can really see the difference in how the vets have responded to adversity vs how they shut Yeo out in previous years…

bottom line is that Bruce knows what buttons to push to motivate Vets and encourage young players…Yeo was obviously clueless in this regard as he kissed the Vets a$$ and tried to scare the young players into submission…

The young player pool we have will make it easier to let go of players who will demand too much $$ and are forced out to fit within the cap…

Dan
    Southeast MN

I just said out loud to no one in particular in my house “Damn things just seem different this year.”

Watching that goal that Staal just scored, I just find myself thinking that those goals just didn’t happen as often the last few years, where a guy gets a real good look and “should” make it. These guys just seems to have so much more swagger and confidence this year and it’s showing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Looking at the Canadian infirmary report, I can’t remember when the wild has been this healthy. I’m not taking away from the team, but in all sports, health is so important. I hope it stays this way.

I didn’t think much of the staal pick up, but that may end up being Fletcher’s greatest acquisition.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pretty good 2nd period.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Boucher is spot on. Carey Price had no place coming out and playing the 3rd. Therrien is an idiot. He’s lucky it’s Price who is even keel and not someone named Roy.

It’s nice to see the wild get back to the play we saw during most the streak.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks refs for handing them a meaningless power play and ignoring 2 goalie interferences.

I like how after when Stewart went in the line to greet doobs he pointed to himself and said “my fault”.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Who the #### is this assclown Carey Price that the NBC announcers couldn’t stop talking about tonight? Is this the same b!tch that the Wild have owned by putting up 11 goals in just 2 games against?

Gawd, the NBC announcers would NOT STFU about Carey Price. They spent the whole night talking about the #2 goalie in the league while the best goalie in the NHL is standing on the other end of the ice holding on to a shutout and the Wild are pummeling this “great” goalie Price. Chant it with me. Over-rated! Over-rated!

15-1-1 in last 17 games and the Wild just punished the leaders of another (weaker) division. The mid season slump is dead and burried with the Yeo era. Bruce is here now and this is a totally different wild team. 7 goals by 6 players on I think it was 3 different lines. That’s a full meal deal right there.

That’s also the way start to hopefully what will be a great weekend of hockey. Tough schedule on the weekend, but I hope the Wild are jacked up for the Blackhawks.

Let’s go WILD.

Grouse

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Boucher is spot on. Carey Price had no place coming out and playing the 3rd. Therrien is an idiot. He’s lucky it’s Price who is even keel and not someone named Roy.

It’s nice to see the wild get back to the play we saw during most the streak.

To my understanding reading the after game presser stuff, Price chose to stay in the game because of the back to back they played. As much as I really don’t care for him, I did like his comment regarding staying in the game. He said something to the effect that “no one else gets the opportunity to get pulled, we’re in this together”. But, What a game!!! It was the first game I have attended this year and boy, it was a fun one!! Worst part of the night was the that goal let in in the last 8 seconds.. but none the less, an awesome game to be at. Chicago needs to lose tonight so we can take the conference lead from them in their own house! Let’s Go Wild!!

CaptainMusky

Wow, just WOW!
    What a game! It was a complete and total dismantling last night.
    I was so upset at why Stewart ended up with 4 mins while the other guy got 2, but apparently he was already on a delayed penalty call for a cross check which led to him getting another 2 with the fracas in front of the net.
    It would have been nice to reward Dubnyk with a shutout, but honestly, it doesn’t matter. The team played great and it was total destruction from beginning to end.
    I guess Boudreau rewarding the vets with a day off from practice was a good thing. In the past that was a punishment from Yeo. I simply cannot get over the transformation of this team from year to year.
    Roster wise it isn’t all that different but Staal has been the steal of the offseason. We wouldn’t be nearly this good without him.
    We have 8 players with 20pts or more. We also have 7 players who have more pts than Toews, yet he makes the AllStar game while Staal is snubbed. Staal DESERVES to be there. I hate the whole “reputation” thing with AllStar games. I mean, PK Subban is in the AllStar game and he has been mediocre and now injured.
    Take care of business with the Hawks so we can continue this amazing season.
    When was the last time you could say we beat the following teams: Montreal (twice), San Jose (in SJ), Anaheim (in Anaheim), Penguins (twice), Rangers (in NY)? That is quite a list of excellent teams. Several of them are division leaders.
    2 roadies coming up against DAL and CHI.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.