MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Re the Vegas expansion, I’m not as gung-ho about this as most seem to be. I’m really concerned about losing Tuch. To me this has MAJOR potential to blow up in our faces. Tuch was the type of player we’re going to need badly as our core ages. Yes, he needed to develop to up his game to the pro level, and of course you never know which players will develop, but I’ve got to say I’m worried we’ll regret this one. Overall, after 4 good draft years in a row, now I’m feeling like we’re back to square one with no R1 pick and we just backslid 1 major prospect, so to put it in hockey terms, we’re -2 even before draft day.

I’m sorry to see Haula go, but that end of the deal was the “it had to happen” end and I’m not sure how long he had with the Wild anyway.

Now let’s see what happens when the post expansion wheeling/dealing fires up.

We really, really, really need some payoff from some recent draft picks. And let’s not beat around the bush here. Everybody wants to know if the answer is currently playing in Russia.

Grouse

Walleye Hungry

Wild play vegas in Vegas the day before st. paddy’s day….and its a friday…oh god please help my liver

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Everybody wants to know if the answer is currently playing in Russia.

That is if the Wild ever even get a chance to meet him. Heard on the radio today that the Wild haven’t even spoken to him, ever. And now he plays for the richest team in the KHL.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wait until he’s eligible to join the Wild. He’ll come calling. coffee

As for Tuch, it sucks to see a prospect you were waiting to see, but he’s basically another nino/coyle.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hear Russo say tonight that Fletcher gave Vegas a choice of Tuch, Kaprasov, or Greenway plus Haula.

Now I’m really, really glad they took Tuch! Maybe Kaprasov turns into something, maybe not, but as BG says, he was attractive enough that Moscow bought him for the remainder of his KHL contract.

We have to get this kid over here. Maybe he pans out maybe not, but either way this will be something to watch.

Meanwhile the draft is about as big of a non-event as you can get if you’re a Wild fan.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Russo also said that the Wild have some cap trouble if they want to get better. The draft might be the beginning of some big moves.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Looks like the Wild chose the route of shooting for home runs vs steady players at the draft, Skill vs Size. Hard to believe they didn’t trade a D man yet…

CaptainMusky

I was in Canada on a fishing trip with no access to the outside world all week. I missed out on all the excitement er, lack thereof from the Wild standpoint.

So, CF hasn’t orchestrated a trade yet other than Graovac and Schroeder. The Wild gave Vegas Tuch so they wouldn’t touch any of our other guys and they nabbed Haula. Hmm, I guess I would rather lose Tuch than lose one of our D, but we still have work to do.
    There is still talk that a trade may be in the works. I have a feeling that when July 1 rolls around you might see something happen with Pominville. He will get bundled in a deal with one of our D men and bring a forward back.
    That would free up some space and give us some room to negotiate with Nino and Granlund.

JoeMX1825
    MN

you might see something happen with Pominville. He will get bundled in a deal with one of our D men and bring a forward back.
    That would free up some space and give us some room to negotiate with Nino and Granlund.

I wish that would be the case, but Pommer and one of our Defenseman (likely Scandella and Brodin) would require the team we’re trading with to have 9+ million in cap space to take on their contracts, I doubt that would work. Only way we trade Pommer is if we eat a lot of the contract, you weigh that vs just buying him out and ultimately it looks like they’re stuck with him one more year (I’m sure they buy him out of the last year of his deal next summer)

No idea what they’ll do now, probably trade for future draft picks (maybe we didn’t like this years draft prospects?) in order to save their cap space this season to sign Granny and Nino…Surprised with the haul the Islanders got for Hamonic…Brodin or Scandella should fetch close to that you’d think?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The Wild continue to fall further behind the teams that will be Stanley Cup Contenders next season. chased
    They need top line help,they need more offense from the defense. It’s a team full of 2nd-3rd and 4th line players. Improving the top of the roster should result in improving bottom of the roster. They already tried the fourth line center route for the playoffs and he/that was a bust.
    Fletcher has to make a bold move or we will be watching the end of his reign as GM.
    coffee

CaptainMusky

I wish that would be the case, but Pommer and one of our Defenseman (likely Scandella and Brodin) would require the team we’re trading with to have 9+ million in cap space to take on their contracts, I doubt that would work. Only way we trade Pommer is if we eat a lot of the contract, you weigh that vs just buying him out and ultimately it looks like they’re stuck with him one more year (I’m sure they buy him out of the last year of his deal next summer)

Surprised with the haul the Islanders got for Hamonic…Brodin or Scandella should fetch close to that you’d think?

I agree, we would have to retain some of the salary for Pominville, probably 2M. Is it worth it? IDK, but I would certainly think about it.

I have no idea how the Isles were able to get that kind of return for Hamonic. Brodin is certainly more valuable than he is, Scandella perhaps as well. I guess you have to have a willing participant and it seems like CF has missed out on a couple of these types of deals in recent memory.
    Taylor Hall last year for a decent D man and now this one for Hamonic? Hmmm…

JoeMX1825
    MN

If we bought out Pommer today it would cost us 1.25 million each of the next 4 seasons! (because he’s over 26, it’s 2/3 remaining base salary remaining spread out over twice the remaining seasons of the contract)

so if we wait until next year, it’s 1.60 the next 2 seasons…

Maybe we can get Pommer to come down with a skin condition like Hossa mysteriously did saving the Hawks his cap space…

CaptainMusky

Let me just float this out there.
    Pominville is from a suburb of Montreal. I am sure that Montreal either is or will be one of the teams he could be traded to once his list goes to 20 teams on July 1.
    Montreal currently has 21M in cap space with fewer unsigned players than the Wild who have 13M in cap space at the moment.
    If we could swing a deal with them for Galchenyuk and picks or prospect plus retain some salary I would be all over that.
    Galchenyuk is probably going to command 5M per as he is an RFA right now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it would need to be a heavily favored trade for Montreal for them to take it, they have the most pressure in the league to win, so I doubt they would take Pommer merely for the sake of his salary… We need a team like Phoenix who routinely needs to hit the salary cap floor to take him…hell they took Pronger’s 3 year old dead money contract last season!

Problem is every team knows it, so Fletcher no zero leverage…

CaptainMusky

Problem is every team knows it, so Fletcher no zero leverage…

Very true. If we had a deal with Brodin/Pominville for Galchenyuk I think it could work, but I don’t know its something Montreal would want to do. They need a left shot D man and Brodin would fit that bill quite nicely.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Very true. If we had a deal with Brodin/Pominville for Galchenyuk I think it could work, but I don’t know its something Montreal would want to do. They need a left shot D man and Brodin would fit that bill quite nicely.

I’d make that trade in a heartbeat!

JoeMX1825
    MN

dang…I just read that Connor McDavid is close to signing an 8 year contract extension that would pay him $13+ million per season…that’s over 18% of the team’s total cap space…

Yes, he’s a great player, best in the league right now, but that will have a huge effect on who they can sign/re-sign long term, especially if the cap stays constant. Case in point, look at what the Hawks had to do once Kane and Toews $10+ million contracts kicked in…

Players like Eichel and Mathews will expect big deals soon as well…

This makes those 1-3 round draft picks all the more important (Fletcher are you listening!) as you can then put their entry level contracts next to the big contract guys and hope they elevate their game.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, the big contracts are getting out of hand with the current cap situation. I read that Eichel is already in talks for an extension and Mathews will be next offseason I am sure.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Shouldn’t this topic be ended and a 2017-18 started?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok

deertracker

Is there a way to not get all the reply notifications if you start a new thread? I move that a season ticket holder be the “starter of the thread”…
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

? I’ve never gotten reply notifications for a thread I started. Is this a global setting?

CaptainMusky

? I’ve never gotten reply notifications for a thread I started. Is this a global setting?

Me either. shrug

Viewing 24 posts - 1,651 through 1,674 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.