MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Please do not be referring to Ovie. I love Ovie, but the last 2 years the Caps were stacked and couldn’t get it done.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Please do not be referring to Ovie. I love Ovie, but the last 2 years the Caps were stacked and couldn’t get it done.

Nah..Oshie, same team but better player waytogo

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Nah..Oshie, same team but better player waytogo

Must be obviously talking about Jagr. Wants to play til he’s 50.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t see how any big player moves could work with our cap space available unless it involves a 2 or 3 for 1 deal. Our biggest salary commitments can’t be shifted due to NM/NT clauses, so talk of brand name player additions seem to me to be wishful thinking unless a player like Oshie is willing to give us the home state discount.

Tegg your analysis on players/points is incomplete. You forgot to tell us which of those players are superstars vs just general stars vs not stars at all.

Grouse

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Another 4th line center who is sucking wind at center ice when his wingers are behind goal line? coffee

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Tegg your analysis on players/points is incomplete. You forgot to tell us which of those players are superstars vs just general stars vs not stars at all.

Grouse

Let’s call them “go to” guys.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m afraid so. I didn’t read the details but I guess there’s some incentive for the caps to trade. 1 or multiple defenseman might do it I heard???

CaptainMusky

I am OK losing 1 defenseman this offseason, and I think its a foregone conclusion LV will be taking one unless Chuck negotiates some sort of swap with picks instead. I don’t really like the idea of trading multiple D-men for any player let along Ovie.
    Yeah, he is a superstar, something we lack, but dang, that is a ton of dough. The way it would work is if you gave up Brodin and Scandella. Their salary combined would be about a match with Ovie, but dang, then we are really strapped. We would have very little money to round out our lineup, replace the D-men we lost. Not a fan of that deal. Unless there would somehow be “cash considerations” involved too.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Perfect example of why I hate Spud. He should have gotten the only penalty or an extra 2. 4-4 leads to the penguins 3rd goal.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Perfect example of why I hate Spud. He should have gotten the only penalty or an extra 2. 4-4 leads to the penguins 3rd goal.

Did you happen to hear Suban respond to a question on that?

Perfect example of how these players can be vicious competitors, and still respect the way they play against each other.

I tip my hat to PK waytogo

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No, I pretty much tuned it all out after it was 5-0, my niece is in town.

I’ll have to see. PK is a pretty classy guy.

CaptainMusky

“Hey, if I don’t like something on the ice, I am going to throw a water bottle out there.” Thought Crosby to himself whilst sitting on the bench.
    Now I’m with Pug, I hate Spud (thought I could use his nickname too).

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

“Hey, if I don’t like something on the ice, I am going to throw a water bottle out there.” Thought Crosby to himself whilst sitting on the bench.
    Now I’m with Pug, I hate Spud (thought I could use his nickname too).

at least it wasn’t a catfish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The water bottle was just a tantrum. He threw it like a girl too!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That’s the way that kind of deal goes 90% of the time or more in the NHL. Hardly a good example of Crosby favoritism. In theory, I agree, except to give the extra 2 in that case would have been inconsistent with the way they call it the other 90++++% of the time.

Every time somebody comes up with examples of all this “Crosby getting away with stuff” examples, I have to ask is it really that way or is it the fact that they are just focusing on Crosby and watching for what he’s going ot get away? Just like the “Off With His Finger” slash earlier this year. Yeah, cause like Crosby is the ONLY player in the NHL that constantly hand slashes and gets away with it. roll roll roll

ESPN I think it was ran a good series of clips showing all the hand slashing in just that game. They had about 15 clips from one game. Like I said, don’t disagree if you claim that hand slashing is waaaaay under-called, but holding this up as an example of Crosby’s dirty play is, objectively speaking, pretty lame.

Grouse

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Success breeds contempt and resent among the unsuccessful. smirk

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I actually didn’t have much of a problem with the finger slash. It’s not like he was trying to Lance off his finger tip.

Actually in hindsight I’m fine with the coincidental call. Subban was holding his leg when I look at the review. The post may have been alcohol and frustration induced. coffee

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Congrats to the Penguins. 2017 Stanley Cup Champions. Back to back Cups.

Love them or hate them thats hard to do!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Congrats…I guess. smirk

Is it safe to say everyone knew the Pens would win when it was 0-0 with 10 minutes left?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Murray! Murray! Murray! Kicked your ass, Crashville. Stick that in your chant pipe, smoke it, and then keep booing it 5 years later.

Incredible depth, experience, and talent on the Pens team was just overwhelming and all the uncreative Nashvegas fan chants and fish chucking escapades were simply rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It wasn’t so much that I knew the Pens were going to win Game 6 as that fact that I knew the Pens weren’t going to let Nashville win 2 straight to claim the cup. Weather it happened in game 6 or 7, the Pens winning the cup was going to happen.

I know the Pens are the team some love to hate, especially with Crosby hoisting the CS trophy to rub salt in the wounds, but the Pens are tremendously deep and talented and nothing derailed them. I really appreciate (and envy) the depth of talent on that team.

Renne was terrific in this series and Nashville certainly got it hitting all all cylinders when it mattered. Another good example of how little the playoff position matters if your team is playing well. Objectively speaking, lots to admire about the Preads as a team, even if I do think their fans are a bunch of jackwagons. Go ahead, keep booing Crosby. He can’t hear you, he’s got his championship rings stuck in his ears.

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Renne was terrific in this series and Nashville certainly got it hitting all all cylinders when it mattered. Another good example of how little the playoff position matters if your team is playing well. Objectively speaking, lots to admire about the Preads as a team, even if I do think their fans are a bunch of jackwagons. Go ahead, keep booing Crosby. He can’t hear you, he’s got his championchip rings stuck in his ears.

Grouse

Couldn’t let your Rinne spelling go unchecked. Understandable after listening to the announcer’s pronunciation of REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-ne all playoffs long.

Off to the expansion draft. Wild were talking about getting Poms to waive the no trade clause.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The Predators played some of best Hockey of the playoffs, their fans deserved to get a little carried away. Nashville and all the Country Music Stars shined a bright light on the NHL and Stanley Cup Hockey.
    It reminded me a lot of the Stars Run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1991. The Old Met Center was rocking inside and out. Tail gate party’s in The Old Met Center parking lots, it never got better than that. waytogo

Congrats to the Predators

toast Congrats to the Penguins toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

On a side note. Crosby was too busy taking a selfie to accep his second consecutive Conn Smythe trophy. roll

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Off to the expansion draft. Wild were talking about getting Poms to waive the no trade clause.

That must be an awkward conversation. Look Poms, you kinda suck and we know Vegas isn’t interested in ya, so can you throw us a bone so we can protect a player better than you?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tegg wrote:</div>

That must be an awkward conversation. Look Poms, you kinda suck and we know Vegas isn’t interested in ya, so can you throw us a bone so we can protect a player better than you?

Players will from time to time comment there is a business side to the sport.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In a strange way, I can’t see a downside to Poms waiving his no move.

Vegas isn’t going to pick him. The Wild being able to trade him is highly unlikely given his salary/cap hit. Oh, and also given his performance. coffee

So why WOULDN’T he want to do something to allow his team to protect another teammate? I mean, you’d think he’d want to play on the best team possible, so if this opens up a seat on the protected bus for a player like Zucker…

Lots of rumors floating around about Brodin or Dumba being dealt to get the wild back into a first round pick.

I haven’t heard much about this draft as far as the prime talent. Everybody’s so fixated on what Vegas will do. The speculation back in March was that this was not a talent rich draft, but I don’t know if alll eligible players had opted in at that point.

I’d like to see the Wild make some moves. Bottom line is the Wild haven’t found the formula yet. They’re good, but I don’t have any confidence that this team has the developent upside to be great.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sometimes it just takes the light to go on for these kids. I don’t think the talent evaluators miss very often overall. More then likely they mis-judge the ceiling on a kid. Also I think we as fans pay to much attention to what the press prints about these kids. We all want the next super star and often these kids are just really third line guys with a possible upside to make them good players but not stars.

I don’t know what type of configuration a roster should have as far as stars to pluggers (Huberty can give that precise breakdown)but I do know the Wild are entertaining. After all isn’t that what we want….a entertaining competitive team to follow?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Lots of rumors floating around about Brodin or Dumba being dealt to get the wild back into a first round pick

Now thats the first round pick that”lacked so much value” because of the lack of talent in the NHL armature draft?
    So now Fletcher is willing to give up Dumba or Brodin to get it back?
    Good Move waytogo

I don’t know what type of configuration a roster should have as far as stars to pluggers (Huberty can give that precise breakdown)but I do know the Wild are entertaining. After all isn’t that what we want….a entertaining competitive team to follow?

You just watched, there are elite players (SUPERSTARS) on those championship teams that make the rest of the players step up their games. There names are all over the cup through out the history of the Stanley cup Playoffs.

There is no one currently on the Wilds roster that can accomplish the same.
    coffee

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

You just watched, there are elite players (SUPERSTARS) on those championship teams that make the rest of the players step up their games. There names are all over the cup through out the history of the Stanley cup Playoffs.

Hmmm…. Interesting analysis:
    Jaromir Jagr (1900+ career points) – Cant be elite because he hasn’t won a cup with a team that didn’t have Mario Lemieux.
    Alex Ovechkin – Not gonna do it
    Joe Thornton – Wouldn’t be prudent
    Anze Kopitar – Superstar
    Chris Kunitz – Mega superstar

Viewing 30 posts - 1,561 through 1,590 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.