MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys hear that Jumbo Joe Thornton played with a torn MCL AND ACL? I cannot even imagine.

I remember Yzerman going through a entire cup run with his knees being bone on bone or something like that. Bishop played on a bad knee in net too I think 3 years ago, when they went to the finals.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

How many #1 overall picks did Edmonton get before they really landed someone who made a difference? Quite a few.

The problem is that there are #1 OA picks and then there are #1 OA PICKS. You have to have the #1 pick and the quality of the player has to be there when you have it. Edmonton has had 4 of the last 7 #1 overall picks. The problem is that only one of them was the quality of Connor McDavid.

Chicago and Washington have both had only had 1 number one overall pick in the last 20 years. But those happened to be the drafts where Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin were available.

Timing is everything. The secret formula for draft success in the NHL is to suck, but to suck at the right time.

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    How many #1 overall picks did Edmonton get before they really landed someone who made a difference? Quite a few.

The problem is that there are #1 OA picks and then there are #1 OA PICKS. You have to have the #1 pick and the quality of the player has to be there when you have it. Edmonton has had 4 of the last 7 #1 overall picks. The problem is that only one of them was the quality of Connor McDavid.

Chicago and Washington have both had only had 1 number one overall pick in the last 20 years. But those happened to be the drafts where Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin were available.

Timing is everything. The secret formula for draft success in the NHL is to suck, but to suck at the right time.

Grouse

McLellan was likely just as important of a pick up for Edmonton. Prior to that they just weren’t getting it done.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just watched the press conference highlights on the NHL app. The only thing specific that Fletcher eluded to is to pickup a more physical defenseman.

I’d give myself a pat on the back if it wasn’t for an injury I received playing jv hockey. waytogo

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So Granlund was playing with a broken hand. I know he refuses to make excuses, but I’ll excuse his playoff performance because of a broken hand. In the past, he’s always performed in the playoffs and played playoff hockey. It’s too bad because he is arguably our best and most consistent point getter.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Just watched the press conference highlights on the NHL app. The only thing specific that Fletcher eluded to is to pickup a more physical defenseman.

I’d give myself a pat on the back if it wasn’t for an injury I received playing jv hockey. waytogo

Now that’s funny funny stuff right there jester jester jester toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So Granlund was playing with a broken hand. I know he refuses to make excuses, but I’ll excuse his playoff performance because of a broken hand. In the past, he’s always performed in the playoffs and played playoff hockey. It’s too bad because he is arguably our best and most consistent point getter.

I sure as hell hope these injured guys are helping the team when they play with an injury. If not they should be accountable for dragging the team down. The tuff guy mentality is a vey fine line. On one hand you motivate your team to play harder, on the other hand you can cause a rift in the locker room if you’re failing to play up to expectations.

You should not lower your expectations for a guy that’s injured. That’s not what got you there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t think Granlund hurt the team. It would be different if I suspected he was injured, which would mean it was obviously affecting his game.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I don’t think Granlund hurt the team. It would be different if I suspected he was injured, which would mean it was obviously affecting his game.

When did he break his hand? I mean for a while there (over a particular 28 game stretch I believe…) he had the most points in the NHL. He did drop off quickly after that stretch…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good question. I just looked it up and it was game 1.

“I had no problems with it,” he said. “Just a little sore. Everybody has something going on. It’s just a part of playing.”

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Chuck Fletcher; No big changes for the Wild?
    Albert Einstein Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” –
    Jeff Huberty; No big changes for Wild fans?

Six straight season ending Early exits from the Playoffs.

coffee

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Dear Mr. Huberty,

We would love for you to continue to be a member of the Team of 18000. Can we count on you to be a season ticket holder for the 2017-2018 season as we make yet another run for the cup?

___ Yes
    ___ No

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Even if Fletcher wanted to, big changes are very difficult for the Wild because of no move/no trade clauses, salary cap space, and contract lengths. Unless there’s some very complicated multi-player or multi-team/multi-player combo move, the only opening is going to be small single player for single player moves. Basically swapping salary for salary. I don’t see anything earthshaking coming out of that kind of deal.

This whole expansion draft thing seems to be hanging over everything in the NHL. It pisses me off just thinking about it. We’ve got 2 teams drowning and 3 teams that are marginal so of course the thing to do is add another southern softie team in a desert market with no hockey tradition. Meanwhile it’s a foregone conclusion that Quebec is getting a team back in 2 years. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Grouse

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Pardon my Skeptisism, but IMHO if they don’t make changes the end result will not change,

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Pardon my Skeptisism, but IMHO if they don’t make changes the end result will not change,

Maybe Fletch should just log onto DraftKings or FanDuel. Might be easier to make roster changes there coffee

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fiala…Ouch

sticker

How come Allen couldn’t have been a SIV against the Wild? He gave up 4 goals last night that he surely would have stopped had the Wild been on the ice evil

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

How come Allen couldn’t have been a SIV against the Wild? He gave up 4 goals last night that he surely would have stopped had the Wild been on the ice evil

Front end Talent

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>

Maybe Fletch should just log onto DraftKings or FanDuel. Might be easier to make roster changes there coffee

Each offseason there are trades/players that are available,this year with the expansion draft there most likely will be more players available.

JoeMX1825
    MN

You live and die with the core set of players you choose to go with in a 5-7 year window, the Wild chose to go with Parise, Suter, Koivu and Dubnyk….Parise had another wasted year due to injury, Suter played at the level expected of him and his contract, Koivu played better this year, Dubnyk played well up until the March slump and playoffs. Like Grouse said, with the salary cap and no move clauses being handed out like candy, it’s tough to make big changes to a roster. The Wild can only hope that Kaprizov/Kunin turn into dynamic players that gives your team a huge boost on a rookie contract. Otherwise you play with the hand you have and tinker when you can…I’m still optimistic about this team due to them leading the NHL the first 3 months of the season, if Bruce can figure out how to get them to stay at that pace, then we can do some damage.

This offseason I expect us to trade one of our smallish/streaky core players like a Zucker/Coyle/Dumba/Spurgeon and add a player or two with proven playoff grit and experience (like a Jason Williams type player). In a perfect world the Wild would lose Pomminville or Scandella in the xpac draft and use their $4-5 Million salary to plug some holes…I know losing Pommer in the xpac draft is a pipe dream, but there has been discussions with him to drop his no trade clause and Vegas could use a veteran forward with only 2 years left on his deal…TJ Oshie will be a free agent and would look nice in Wild green…

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

TJ Oshie…You don’t say. Hhhmmm… bow

sticker

TJ Oshie…You don’t say. Hhhmmm… bow

Oshie would be HUGE for this team!!! I doubt the Caps would let him go, but they may not have a choice. OH My, that would be better than the Suter/Parise deal toast

JoeMX1825
    MN

Oshie will demand huge $$ though, especially with the solid season and playoffs he’s been having (having Backstrom pass to you is nice also) if we could somehow lose Pommer and Scandella’s contracts, he could be afforded…

getting proven goal scorers is never cheap, you either luck our grooming them as young draft picks over several years or you overpay for them in free agency…I look at Nino as the type of player who has the potential to explode as a goal scorer and get into the 35-40 goal range because he has the frame and is he’s willing to get into the dirty areas to score, that’s today’s NHL…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, it’s much easier when it’s a new season every week and you don’t have to deal with stuff like, umm, reality. Those pesky league rules, player contracts, CBAs, and salary caps make it sooooooo hard.

his offseason I expect us to trade one of our smallish/streaky core players like a Zucker/Coyle/Dumba/Spurgeon and add a player or two with proven playoff grit and experience (like a Jason Williams type player). In a perfect world the Wild would lose Pomminville or Scandella in the xpac draft and use their $4-5 Million salary to plug some holes…I know losing Pommer in the xpac draft is a pipe dream, but there has been discussions with him to drop his no trade clause…

This is where all those pesky rules come into play.

Pomminville can’t be traded, he has a no trade clause as you say. Also, I believe there are rules about when a player can waive clauses, so with 2 years left in a contract I thought I heard at some point that this was a no-go.

Either way, the issue that a lot of casual fans don’t understand is you’d have to find a team that wants Pomminville’s whole contract. You don’t just get the player and get to negotiate from scratch. The new team literally gets the player with exactly the contract that he has NOW with his current team.

Forget Oshie. He’ll be looking for money way above what we have cap space for unless there are some big surprises. We would have to deal multiple players off the roster first and manage to do so in time to sign him. Not likely.

Grouse

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Oshie…It’s a long shot due to the reasons listed above but his connections to the Midwest and Minny may have him longing for the days of the easy livin’ life Minny offers. One can dream…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Normally I’d say Pommer’s contract was untradeable, but an expansion team (especially in Sinville Vegas) could use a down to earth veteran presence and they will likely be way under the cap the next few years and could afford the higher salary for hopefully a leader of kids and castoffs, maybe we even eat some of his salary as part of the trade. It’s a pipe dream, but we have time for pipe dreams right now…

I don’t think there’s any clauses regarding players not being able to drop their no trade clause, happens all the time near the trade deadline with overpriced Vets looking to get a cup before retirement…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Remember when people were scratching their heads about the Adam Larsson Taylor Hall trade?

CaptainMusky

Pomminville can’t be traded, he has a no trade clause as you say. Also, I believe there are rules about when a player can waive clauses, so with 2 years left in a contract I thought I heard at some point that this was a no-go.

Either way, the issue that a lot of casual fans don’t understand is you’d have to find a team that wants Pomminville’s whole contract. You don’t just get the player and get to negotiate from scratch. The new team literally gets the player with exactly the contract that he has NOW with his current team.

Grouse

Grouse, you an retain salary in trades. So, the receiving team doesn’t have to “agree” to all of the money Pominville is signed for.
    I agree it isn’t a likely scenario for him to get traded, but he CAN waive his NTC/NMC. In fact, he has to list 10 teams for which he cannot be traded to (down from 20 teams this year).

CaptainMusky

Remember when people were scratching their heads about the Adam Larsson Taylor Hall trade?

I know right! The defensive defenseman bursts out for 2 goals! I wish those games weren’t so dang late, I cannot stay up that late and be worth a nickel at work the next day.
    The Preds/Blues game was entertaining. As I figured, we broke Allen down and now the Preds will reap the rewards. He was sloppy last night.
    That Fiala injury was sad to see on a mostly harmless play. Hopefully it isn’t too bad, but the way they rushed him out of there I think it could be pretty serious. I don’t like seeing stuff like that, but the Blues guy really didn’t do much wrong.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just Googled it and Fiala has a fractured Femur.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,321 through 1,350 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.