MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

RR; Well the Seasons over and the Golf courses are open, so you might run into some of the Wild.

waytogo Have a nice summer! waytogo

BG; Everything I posted under my real name, Never have I changed anything I posted.
    toast Have a nice summer! toast

coffee wave

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BG; Everything I posted under my real name, Never have I changed anything I posted.

Not sure what that’s supposed to mean. I never suggested you changed anything, ever.
    Just saying that it’s funny how you’ve spent tens of thousands of dollars on the Wild and this is how you speak of them.
    I think it’s all for show and you’re really a rube at heart.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Not sure what that’s supposed to mean. I never suggested you changed anything,

I stand by everything I posted. A good portion of which came to be the end result.

I think it’s all for show and you’re really a rube at heart.

rotflol I get it rotflol

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

RR I think it’s awesome how at no point did your office manager say “get back to work!”

I’m the boss grin

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes it sucks that the season is over, the Wild played good enough to win each game against the blues, they just couldn’t bury their chances…the future looks bright with this team as the younger players all took big steps forward in terms of career years and all the blue chip prospects will start knocking on the door soon oh and our bad contracts are almost up…

I agree, the Wild’s future looks bright. We have as good of a crop of prospects as the Wild have EVER had and besides Ek, we are going to be making an impact with several of these kids very soon.

The Wild’s challenge will be figuring out how to move up without using the Edmonton or Chicago approach of totally sucking and being cellar dwellers for years and then finally getting lucky in the draft and jackpotting a #1 OAL pick in a talent rich draft. The Wild will have to build it as well as draft from the middle to the end of the round, so they need to tune that approach.

I know it’s popular in MN to complain about these “bad” contracts, but EVERY team has this situation. Nobody can foresee the future. You only know what you know at a point in time. You never really get “out” from bad contracts and what looks like a “good” contract at one time can change quickly.

Case in point, you’ve got Chicago having to shed players left and right over the past 2 seasons to afford the Kane and Towes contracts. Well, that looked like a great problem to have I mean who wouldn’t want to keep Kane and Towes? But now Kane can’t find his stick with both hands in the playoffs, accounting for 1 measly goal in 9 (or more?) playoff games and the result being two first-round exits in a row. So are these good contracts or bad contracts? As always, time changes things.

Also, keep in mind these bad contracts run both ways. Not wanting to sign longer term deals for bigger money means players walk or force your hand with trades. The downside risk is always the situation where you pay based on past performance, but every team has and always will have this issue. It’s not just a MN problem.

Grouse

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Case in point, you’ve got Chicago having to shed players left and right over the past 2 seasons to afford the Kane and Towes contracts. Well, that looked like a great problem to have I mean who wouldn’t want to keep Kane and Towes? But now Kane can’t find his stick with both hands in the playoffs, accounting for 1 measly goal in 9 (or more?) playoff games and the result being two first-round exits in a row. So are these good contracts or bad contracts? As always, time changes things.

I see no difference here with the Wild and their Twin 13 year $98 million contracts and Chicagos Twin 8 year $84 Million contracts.
    The only difference is, I think the Wild can lower the back end of the deal by paying more up front.
    With three Cups already in hand Chicago has the better deal.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

I see no difference here with the Wild and their Twin 13 year $98 million contracts and Chicagos Twin 8 year $84 Million contracts.
    The only difference is, I think the Wild can lower the back end of the deal by paying more up front.
    With three Cups already in hand Chicago has the better deal.

…aside from on average the Wild are paying there two top players $6,000,000 less than Chicago/year. Pretty big difference…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We all seem to forget that prior to July 4th a few years ago this thread would have been 5 pages by 2 guys. Now it’s 40+ by 6 guys, so i’d say signing Parise and Suter certainly ignited the fan base.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

We all seem to forget that prior to July 4th a few years ago this thread would have been 5 pages by 2 guys. Now it’s 40+ by 6 guys, so i’d say signing Parise and Suter certainly ignited the fan base.

Money well spent…(Both from a team standpoint and a PR Management standpoint…) Good point…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I got no problem with Parise and Suters contracts. Suter is solid and Parise may only be a 20 goal scorer, but he is constantly a gamer.

Now ask me again in 3-4 years.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

In 3-4 years unless the Wild play for a Cup those contracts will be viewed like Mauers. Like PJ would say these two are ELITE athletes and they are paying there way. The excitement and ticket sales created when Leopold signed those two is what propelled the team into the popular entertainment item they are. When was the last time the Ex didn’t sell out? I would also guess the Wild are in the top 1/2 of the league in average price per ticket sold. Like the trade or hate the trade it certainly has made them popular in this state.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They were selling out before the deal. Those signing were less about marketing and more about signing two of the top FAs that year. Yes, the Parise signings brought great marketing opportunities, but it was more about them as players as opposed to marketing assets.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nothing is going to happen with the Parise Suter situation for many years so it’s not really even worth a discussion.

I think that Boudreau is going to give this team some more size in the offseason. I personally hope it is on defense. We have some big young guns waiting in the wings. Olaffsson, Tuch, Ek, Graovac and probably more I’m forgetting. Might be worth a couple seasons of house cleaning and development to set a new direction.

Unfortunately I don’t see the Wild missing the playoffs anytime soon unless they do some crazy sell off trades. Hard to give up revenue in lost attendance when you don’t have to.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The chances of the Wild making the playoffs without Parise and Suter would have been extremely slim. Their play has kept the Wild in the Playoffs each year they have been here.
    There is no one else on this roster who has stepped up during the playoffs.
    They need to add another leader someone who can join Parise as #1 player,a trade for a top tier forward or offensive Defenseman.
    Kunin and Greenway look like the type of players who could help move this team further.
    Ek +10-15 lbs and spending a full year on roster will definitely help.

Brady Valberg

Like the parise and suter contracts or not they have helped this team tremendously..personally im a fan of both…yes suter makes some mistakes but they only get magnified bc of who he is and the standard he has set…same goes for zp..not only that ZP has to be one of the more entertaining guys to watch…his style of play will most likely limit his career but the guys a blast to watch and generates alot of opportunities wether hes getting the points for it or not on paper… when healthy…which unfortunatly has been the problem in recent seasons…but without those two how appealing do you think it would be to land top free agents for less money than they could make elsewhere? Would we have landed staal? Maybe maybe not but i believe zp aided in that recruitment.. and yes some may not work out like the vanek deal…they have the talent and skill and ability to win and make a run…need 1 or 2 more pieces of the puzzle to complete that run…and they all need to be firing on all cylinders…i do believe we need to ditch a couple vetsand give the future a chance to show what they got but when they are a 2nd or 3rd line guy you dont want to limit their minutes on a 4th line and stall their progression and learning

Thia team isnt going anywhere for awhile…if the playoffs would have been when they were all firing on all cyclinders they would have been the hands down favorite…alot of obsticles came up ended up in a funk at the absolute worst time of the season and didnt seem to fully crawl out of it unfortunatly

At least my tv survived only bc i was not home to see game 5

Famous minnesota sports fan saying ” Theres always next year”

Ill be looking forward to the wild 17/18 thread
    Hopefully with a few less trolls

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

It’s been announced that Fletcher isn’t going to be let go. Love him or hate him he’ll be here for at least another year…i’m fine with that. Not enough bad decisions to show him the door and the early exit wasn’t his doing…RR

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve heard of teams having good/bad chemistry. This team seems to have weird chemistry where one month they are world beaters and the next mired slumpers.

CaptainMusky

I’ve heard of teams having good/bad chemistry. This team seems to have weird chemistry where one month they are world beaters and the next mired slumpers.

Its like a Jekyl and Hyde type syndrome. When things go well, they really go well, but when they go bad they are epically bad. I was hoping that under Boudreau we wouldn’t have that swoon we always found ourselves in, but guess what, it happened anyway. Though it was later in the season.
    There are some very nice pieces on this team and we have more pieces coming in the near future. I REALLY hope we can get Kaprisov to actually sign. Those KHL players, especially the elite ones are very difficult to woo away from Russia.
    I think Haula’s days with the Wild are over. Aside from that, even with losing someone to the expansion draft I have a feeling there is going to be some other regulars gone via trade, or ???
    Hopefully Fletch can convince Pominville to waive his NMC/NTC to free him up for the expansion draft. NO, that doesn’t mean I think Vegas would take him, but it would mean they could protect another player instead of being forced to protect him. That would be huge IMO.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

If Pominville stays and Haula goes I will never watch this team again!

Well, not really, but I will be extremely P’d off flame

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hopefully Fletch can convince Pominville to waive his NMC/NTC to free him up for the expansion draft.

I’m pretty sure that this is against the rules.

I don’t think Haula is going anywhere. He shouldn’t commend much on the FA market and the Wild can’t afford to lose an NHL center.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I REALLY hope we can get Kaprisov to actually sign. Those KHL players, especially the elite ones are very difficult to woo away from Russia.

I see it being likely that he’ll stay there at least one more year so he can compete in the Olympics.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    Hopefully Fletch can convince Pominville to waive his NMC/NTC to free him up for the expansion draft.

I’m pretty sure that this is against the rules.

I don’t think Haula is going anywhere. He shouldn’t commend much on the FA market and the Wild can’t afford to lose an NHL center.

I don’t believe it is against the rules at all. Russo actually eluded to it yesterday as well.
    Regarding the center, well, we have Kunin and Ek. I think Kunin is probably ready to come in next year already. He has excelled at each level and was great in the Worlds last Fall too and that was playing against the big boys. I don’t want Haula gone, I am just trying to figure out how we keep all the guys we need to sign with the money available.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I see it being likely that he’ll stay there at least one more year so he can compete in the Olympics.

He’d also have to buy his KHL contract out. I’ll bet one more year there and then a year in Iowa. I imagine we are 2 years away.

I don’t believe it is against the rules at all. Russo actually alluded to it yesterday as well.

I did a quick Google and it appears to be a thing. Seems odd, but the NHL loves loopholes.

CaptainMusky

Kaprisov is still under contract so he isn’t coming here until 2018 at the earliest. Its rare when a KHL player gets bought out. Not unprecedented, but I don’t see that happening.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think he’s better off playing the next year in the KHL and that will give him a better chance of skipping Iowa and making the roster.

CaptainMusky

I think he’s better off playing the next year in the KHL and that will give him a better chance of skipping Iowa and making the roster.

Agreed! Boy, could we use a guy with some beef. He is built much like Tarasenko.
    I didn’t catch the press conference live, but I hear Granlund had a broken hand?

You guys hear that Jumbo Joe Thornton played with a torn MCL AND ACL? I cannot even imagine. Reminds me of when Coyle played the playoffs after separating both shoulders.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Kaprisov is still under contract so he isn’t coming here until 2018 at the earliest. Its rare when a KHL player gets bought out. Not unprecedented, but I don’t see that happening.

Russom talked about the buyout rules and it seems very unlikely or impossible depending on the scenario, so yes 2018 is going to be the soonest we’ll get a NHL pro level look at Kaprisov. I can’t wait.

Cunin and Greenway are also going to be terrific additions and just when we’ll need some younger players.

The only downside, if you want to say it that way, is that the Wild are not on a Chicago or Edmonton or Toronto path where we will totally suck and therefore will have a shot or several shots at a #1-#3 OA pick. We’re going to have to get good at building and buying, not getting lucky in the draft with so called “generational” players.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

I know Grouse! That’s the thing, the Wild have been somewhat relevant and that keeps us from getting a McDavid or Mathews. I guess would I rather they be in the playoffs every year or terrible for several years in order to “possibly” get a guy like that? I guess I would take our current scenario. Drafting those players are misses more often than not.
    How many #1 overall picks did Edmonton get before they really landed someone who made a difference? Quite a few.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Granlan Coyle Niederiter were expected to develop into top players and make the push for the Wild to move deep in the playoffs. Since that hasn’t happened we have new players hoping to make the roster next season. Among Kunin and Greenway; Kaprisov; Tuch; Ek; which player can make the jump to top of the Wilds roster, the past 5 Years proves they do not need more #3 or #4 line players.

I liked watching Greenways game, in the World JRS and NCAA tourney, he could be an NHL beast.
    Sounds like he is leaning to go back to BU though. coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 1,291 through 1,320 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.