MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

What does all this have to do with the Wild going on a 4 game winning streak starting Wednesday? chased applause applause

Ask Brad?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m having a tough time buying that Doobs letting in a soft goal is the reason for the three losses. If it is then there’s a serious discipline issue with these guys. The other teams score, period (except Chicago rotflol ) if st. Louis scoring first puts them in such a funk that they can’t do they’re job then they don’t belong in the playoffs.
    It sure would be fun to see them go on a four game winning streak but it’s slim.
    The good news if they get swept I can just enjoy watching playoff hockey without screaming.

I’ll probably catch heck for this but, it’s a Minnesota thing, you know, choking and all. At least that’s a culture that’s been created over decades of the home teams failure to close.

CaptainMusky

Beeletaine, I agree. If the team is that fragile them ask for each of the players resignation and start over. Rotate players in from Iowa and move on.
    The roster for next year’s team will likely be much different. More youth getting pumped in. Might get even more painful for a couple years as those guys develop. I still don’t get the Ek vs White thing. I thought Ek was playing fine. White doesn’t add much.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I liked Whites game. At least it looked like he cared and he drew a penalty. I don’t think Ek should be playing if you are going to stick him on the 4th line. If you are going to have him play, rotate him in a little on the top 3 lines and try and light a fire under their butts.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think when you look st the scoring chances yesterday you gotta say the Wild had the better and more chances. When Terasenko got a breakaway I’ll admit that Doobs played it perfectly. But beyond that and not seeing the first two games (thankfully doah ), the blues haven’t really had the greatest of scoring chances.

If you had to choose between Doobs and Allen in the Wild net right now, who would you choose???

CaptainMusky

Right now? Allen. Given their entire body work I would go with Dubnyk though. Allen is certainly on top of his game but Dubnyk has also made some big saves along with a couple weak goals. I will say the wild have earned every goal they have gotten. Cannot be said for the blues. Some of those should not be allowed. At the same time our team hasn’t scored 2 goals yet and each time tied it at 1 so we have had chances to take the lead.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

At the same time our team hasn’t scored 2 goals yet and each time tied it at 1 so we have had chances to take the lead.

The way she goes in the playoffs. Look at Chicago and San Jose. And now MN.

The Wild need to get through the first period with a tie or a lead. Then you may see some confidence come back.

But the wild card is going to be Allen. He has 4 more opportunities to steal another game. I don’t like those odds.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll take Doobs. But much like with Doobs, success has a lot has to do with team defense.

I told the family not to worry after game one, that Allen will crack. I don’t think he can keep it up the whole playoffs. I mean we saw it when we beat him and Elliot 2 years ago. But then again, it’s the playoffs, he could do it.

But over his career he won’t be elite.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t think he’ll do it the whole playoffs, but now he has 4 opportunities to do it only once more.

I like Doobs but he hasn’t been playing up to par for two months. Not a good time for that.

For those of you undermining the importance of goaltending, this isn’t the 70s Habs. 1 goal per game is everything in the playoffs. You can’t just will a couple goals like in the regular season. These teams are here for a reason. They all beat good teams regularly.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

OK then…Since 2000 these teams have won the cup: Devils, Lightning, Hurricanes, Ducks, Bruins, Kings (among others that have glaring studs…). Please name the “top tier” players on those teams that you say are listed on the cup. Keep in mind you said “each and every team”. Can’t wait to see what you call “top tier” on these teams. Seems to me that many Cup winners have a bunch of hard working journeymen sometimes that work their arses’ off to win a cup. It happens…RR

Nobody???

Ok I’ll go. It’s just sitting on a tee for me. yay

Devils – Brodeur
    Lightning – Khabibulin (on of the few names I recognize)
    Ducks – Giguere (Conn Smythe)
    Bruins – Thomas (Conn Smythe)
    Kings – Quick (Conn Smythe)

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

These teams are here for a reason. They all beat good teams regularly.
    [/quote] I get what you’re saying but the Wild are in the playoffs too. They’ve lost 11 of their last 13 playoff games and scored a measly 22 goals.
    For whatever reason they can’t score in the playoffs. Doobs hasn’t given up more than two in a game this series. The Wild haven’t put any physical pressure on Allen at all. I understand the importance of a hot goalie but there’s more to the game than that. With the exception of the last five games of the season they couldn’t score consistently for a month.
    I like the players on this team but they’re not getting it done in the post season.

CaptainMusky

I like the players on this team but they’re not getting it done in the post season.

Me too. It seems like these guys disappear come playoff time. We had guys with career years, granlund, Coyle nierreiter, sucker… Where are they now? These same guys have plenty of playoff experience by now it should be old hat. We have a new coach so Yeo isn’t the problem now (I don’t think it was him anyway).
    Koivu, suter and Staal need a big game Wed. I think of those 3, Staal has the best chance.
    I do agree I don’t think Allen can keep it up through the series, but I don’t know if we will push it deep enough to find out. Get in his head Wed and the wheels could come off. I hope that’s what happens.
    There are very few players in the wild who have stood out to me. Scandella I think is playing some of his best hockey all year. Parise has scored twice so he’s an honorable mention. Other than that it’s tough…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can’t remember a playoffs where 4 teams started 0-3 in the first round. What a crazy start. I’d bet money it’s never happened.

CaptainMusky

When I first saw that I thought he missed it. I have to think the NHL would mandate the way the stantions are in each rink. Some rinks have really lively glass. I watched the Hawks ring the puck around the glass during warmups one game at the X. They were intentionally trying to figure out where any strange caroms would come from. Well, Kane found one in Game 6 a couple years ago to send us golfing.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>roosterrouster wrote:</div>
    OK then…Since 2000 these teams have won the cup: Devils, Lightning, Hurricanes, Ducks, Bruins, Kings (among others that have glaring studs…). Please name the “top tier” players on those teams that you say are listed on the cup. Keep in mind you said “each and every team”. Can’t wait to see what you call “top tier” on these teams. Seems to me that many Cup winners have a bunch of hard working journeymen sometimes that work their arses’ off to win a cup. It happens…RR

Nobody???

Ok I’ll go. It’s just sitting on a tee for me. yay

Devils – Brodeur
    Lightning – Khabibulin (on of the few names I recognize)
    Ducks – Giguere (Conn Smythe)
    Bruins – Thomas (Conn Smythe)
    Kings – Quick (Conn Smythe)

I said “Top Tier” (for example Sid the Kid or That little puk from Chicago (#88)). You do know that every Stanley Cup has a Conn Smythe winner right? You just picked out MVP’s not examples of ‘Top Tier’ but thanks for proving my point! (Thomas a top tier player…Ah no…)

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

So 3 of the past 15 Stanley Cup MVPS since 2000 are Goalies, and the other 14 are Defense or forwards?
    Hmmmm idea 80% top tier Forwards or Defense
    Hmmmm idea 20% top tier Goalies

Actualy it’s 5 Goalies so now were at 33% MVP since 2000, and then 67% Forwards or Defensemen.

Historically 29% Goalie MVP and then 71% Forwards or Defensemen MVPS

All Game changers but predominately Forwards and Defense.

coffee

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Geez, I’d hate to see you guys lose a game of Monopoly.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Geez, I’d hate to see you guys lose a game of Monopoly.

…as long as I get to be the thimble i don’t care about losing -)

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

As a Caveat to all of it, any goalie who played without a Mask has to be in and at the Top of any NHL List. They have to be rated as the most fearless professional player of all sports combined.
    toast toast toast

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The problem with your numbers Jeff, and this is oversimplification, but each game roster is made up of 19 players. That means a goalie makes up about 5% of the participants.

Let me try off the top of my head.

Devils – Nieuwendyk, Steven, Elias, Niedermayer
    Lightning – Stamkos, Leclavier, Andreychuk, St. Louis
    Ducks – Perry, Pronger, Selanne
    Bruins – Chara, Seguin, Marchand, Lucic
    Kings – Which Year? Kopitar, Carter, Doughty

To the point of the original reply, the Blues have Tank, Steen and Pietrangelo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

As a Caveat to all of it, any goalie who played without a Mask has to be in and at the Top of any NHL List. They have to be rated as the most fearless professional player of all sports combined.
    toast toast toast

And for those of you like me, who remember the “Gumper”!

Attachments:
    1. thegumper.jpg

2. WorsleyNorthStars.jpg

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Fair enough,without getting into another debate it was just simple math concerning other MVPs. You could get into a whole numbers game but I will leave that for the metrics generation.

Gaborick smirk

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I said “Top Tier” (for example Sid the Kid or That little puk from Chicago (#88)). You do know that every Stanley Cup has a Conn Smythe winner right? You just picked out MVP’s not examples of ‘Top Tier’ but thanks for proving my point! (Thomas a top tier player…Ah no…)

Ok, but Brodeur and Quick certainly fit that mold. Or do goalies not qualify in your book?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

toast toast toast

Well, you’d have to question their intelligence. Although, I’ve heard that the Gumper was quite the drinker… during games nonetheless.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Ok, but Brodeur and Quick certainly fit that mold. Or do goalies not qualify in your book?

Let’s not forget Patrick Roy

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>roosterrouster wrote:</div>

My head hurts…Yes they fit.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>
    toast toast toast

Well, you’d have to question their intelligence. Although, I’ve heard that the Gumper was quite the drinker… during games nonetheless.

That…and why not a cigarette to go with it!

Attachments:
    1. Gump.jpg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The problem with your numbers Jeff, and this is oversimplification, but each game roster is made up of 19 players. That means a goalie makes up about 5% of the participants.

Let me try off the top of my head.

Devils – Nieuwendyk, Steven, Elias, Niedermayer
    Lightning – Stamkos, Leclavier, Andreychuk, St. Louis
    Ducks – Perry, Pronger, Selanne
    Bruins – Chara, Seguin, Marchand, Lucic

To the point of the original reply, the Blues have Tank, Steen and Pietrangelo

If you go back to the early 2000s:
    Devils: S. Stevens, K. Daneyko, C. Lemieux (ultimate agitator)
    Avs: J. Sakic, P. Forsberg, R. Bourque, R. Blake
    Red Wings: B. Shanahan, S. Fedorov, N. Lidstrom, S. Yzerman, C. Chelios, P. Datsyuk, D. Hasek
    Pitt: E. Malkin, S. Crosby, B. Orpik

Woody

The Hawks down 0-3? That ain’t possible! They’re the best team ever! They’re going to win the stanley cup according to so many this year. So sick of hearing about the Hawks and how so perfect they are and can’t do nothing wrong!

Go preds…kick their ass!

Viewing 30 posts - 1,141 through 1,170 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.