MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Thanks for posting, I guess that says it all, NO GOAL. I had no idea that was the rule. Obviously you can’t kick it in, but not kicking it off another player is new to me. I have learned something today toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I guess the good thing is that the rule is pretty black and white. Now if the defending player attempts to play the puck by kicking it and as a result goes in, I wonder if it is a goal. I think by definition that would not be a deflection and would be a good goal. That’s the only grey area in my opinion and may have been worth a look.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, the rule leaves out intent. Haula clearly had no intention of kicking it to try and score, but regardless as the rule is stated they got it right. It would seem to make sense that the kicking must result in the puck going toward the net vs how it went in across the net in Haula’s case. Either way, I’m not all bent out of shape over it. A game they had chances just couldn’t get one in.
    Too bad the lone goal CBJ got was a softie since Dubnyk played great!

deertracker

I did not see the goal in question but anytime there is a kicking motion it will not be a goal. You can however angle your skate so it deflects off of it or changes the angle of the puck.
    DT

CaptainMusky

You can kick the puck provided it is later touched by a stick into the net.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I got the rule wrong when when chatting with brothers during the game. I always thought it read a diliberate kicking motion TOWARD the net. That is not the case. They got the call right, but that rule needs to be amended.

In fact, my brother is a high school and other ref. He looked up the rule and said before that call, he would have called it a good goal, but not anymore.

CaptainMusky

I thought the same thing pug! When I saw him not kick it toward the net, I’m like good goal. I guess it makes sense because otherwise guys would be kicking at everything in front of the net hoping for some pinball action but clearly he wasn’t directing it toward the net. Learned something new I guess.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And the Wild snap back! Back on their form defensively, Parise and Pomms are back, and for the 10th time in row, the Wild respond to a loss by winning.

And, of course, the horsh!t refing continues. Koivu gets hit in the face, with a stick, before the puck drop of faceoff, DRAWING BLOOD and . . . no call. POS useless refs. What in the sam hell could they be watching? Well, of course, the answer is they were watching, they just don’t care to actually make any calls for the Wild. What a crock.

Well, it could be worse. The Avalanche achieve a new level of suckdom. I wish Roy would have been there to see it.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

Grouse, that was absolutely the funniest thing I saw over the weekend! They were down 5-0 and on a clear breakaway and he drop passes!? LOL

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Read Gms discussing offsides rule change. Instead of a skate needing to be touching the ice inside, you’d just have to have part of your body inside above the plane, like in football when scoring a TD. I like the idea. It’ll make calls, especially coach challenge reviews easier and less frequent.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Read Gms discussing offsides rule change. Instead of a skate needing to be touching the ice inside, you’d just have to have part of your body inside above the plane, like in football when scoring a TD. I like the idea. It’ll make calls, especially coach challenge reviews easier and less frequent.

Totally agree, right now the skate touching thing almost requires an ant’s eye view camera on the blue line.

Back to last night’s game, the Wild seem a little snakebitten in the last few games in the goal production department. I hope this isn’t getting in thier heads and the sticks aren’t getting gripped too tightly. Maybe everybody needs to change their stick tape.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

They also just played 2 of the best teams in the league and should have beaten Columbus if not for a bad no goal call and a goalie standing on his head. Dubs letting in only 2 goals from those explosive offenses is also a really good sign.

Hopefully Chicago drops a few so we can pull away and rest some players for the playoff run. Chicago plays 6 of their last 8 games on the road including at the Penguins, Kings and Ducks… Wild have a much easier final 8 games.

What an exciting team to watch!

mojogunter

In the Columbus game the correct call was made on the no goal in my opinion, or at least that is my take on the rule. Solid games played by all teams the last 2 games. Wild were very defensively sound the last two games as well. I believe they held San Jose to 5 shots in the 3rd last night. That is really impressive.

They also just played 2 of the best teams in the league and should have beaten Columbus if not for a bad no goal call and a goalie standing on his head. Dubs letting in only 2 goals from those explosive offenses is also a really good sign.

Hopefully Chicago drops a few so we can pull away and rest some players for the playoff run. Chicago plays 6 of their last 8 games on the road including at the Penguins, Kings and Ducks… Wild have a much easier final 8 games.

What an exciting team to watch!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree, there’s no reason to go all Minnesota sports fan “woe was us” on things for a couple of reasons.

First, as is typical, the national media didn’t see fit to make a big deal out of it when MN did the same thing, but now the Blackhawks go on a winning streak by beating a bunch of teams that they should beat and gaining points while the Wild are idle for a week and suddenly it’s big news. We’ll see how for real Chicago is when they have to play real teams like Anaheim, Detroit, and the Wild, all in a 4 day span.

As has been said before, the Wild just need to keep doing what they did all year: Focus on winning the next game.

Secondly, it was reported that Bruce had a long, long full team video session and it was about 3 things: Defense, defense, and defense.

And what do you know? They have now allowed only 2 goals in 2 games since Uncle Bruce’s Little Chat. That was EXACTLY what they needed. Get back to stingy D that forces the other team to lean hard into the D zone and try to force plays, and then kill them with our speed.

Has anyone heard how is Folin doing?

Grose

mojogunter

Folin had an MRI on his right arm, but no word yet of the results.

CaptainMusky

Hawks lose Darling for 3 to 4 weeks. Going to put some strain on Crawford. Hopefully he gets worn down a bit.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That Folin replay made me cringe. It sure looked bad, I’d be surprised if he isn’t out a while.

mojogunter

They are saying out at least 3 weeks

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Bummer about Folin as the Brodin/Folin Swede combo was a great pairing.

Anybody else watch the Caps try to phone it in last night and get burned by the Texass Team Rustlers last night? Good cautionary tale there, you can’t take a night off for team that’s not contending for a playoff spot. Ovechkin looked like the Randy Moss of the NHL, he was just out for a leisurely skate last night and didn’t try to hide it.

Here we go again tonight. Yeo had to go, but now he’s back with his Blues. A should win game for the Wild, but there’s going to be a lot of those left in the season and we need to win them. Still a long road ahead.

Grouse

sticker

I did watch the second half of that game. The Caps were sleeping thru the first 2 periods. I chuckled when Sharp made the open net goal from nearly his own goal. The post game they showed a couple videos of Ovy loafing, it was really bad too. jester

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Old Yo Yo sure can coach. Does he ever lose at Excel? wink

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yeo must go. chased

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope the video sessions on defence hasn’t turned off the offense. coffee

sticker

I hope the video sessions on defence hasn’t turned off the offense. coffee

Something sure did flame You know when Bruce breaks up the greatest line in the history of hockey that something is a miss.

I know it’s only one game, but we seem to be having these “one games” a little more often. Win one, lose one, win 2 lose one. I don’t like where this is going.

Did they even have one good offensive surge last night? If so it was short lived. Thankfully the Hawks are not playing, so we aren’t losing ground, but it sure would be nice to get a few points up on them. I am now officially getting worried.:???: roll

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No need to worry. We’ll make the playoffs and have at least home ice advantage in the first round.

JoeMX1825
    MN

They still had their chances last night, but they definitely didn’t have the same energy the Blues did…passing was really bad as well… Scandella had several “wtf” moments including one that led to the gwg…

getting back to back wins this Thursday and Friday would sure be nice to right the ship.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Anyone see the documentary Ice Guardians is available to rent online?

I can’t wait to check it out. I am a little torn. I was so against taking fighting out of hockey. Now that the game has calmed down I really don’t miss it. And if it keeps some guy from living a hard life, I am happy. When I say hard life, I am talking about the mental and physical problems that come from being a enforcer.

Website with Trailer

zooks

Wasn’t pretty to watch, that’s for sure and agree that the poor passing was a major part of it. Coyle has been ice cold for 3 weeks now, that has to change pretty soon too.

Not worried about them at this point, Chicago might catch them but they’re still one of the best 6-8 teams in the league. Injuries or illness is the only thing that would drastically change things IMO.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

About what I said previously

I got a lot of love and respect for Malkin even before this. Some of the interviews he did when he was younger and didn’t know english were pretty funny.

CaptainMusky

Not a huge fan of fighting anymore, but at the same time realize there is certainly a time and place for it. I applaud Malkin for dancing with Wheeler and not ducking away from him. He gets a lot of respect for that across the league. There are a ton of chickensh*ts out there that pull dirty acts and then duck and hide.

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.