MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• CaptainMusky

I agree Grouse. That 4th line was really motoring last night. Combine that with Zucker, Koivu and Granlund who have basically been unstoppable suddenly the Wild pose a lot of matchup problems for teams.
    I do think that Shroeder gets sat in favor for some more beef in certain games, but we all saw what speed did last year with the Pens throughout the Cup playoffs!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nino’s misconduct was taken off the books. You were right, it’s important because they use past rulings when player safety makes decisions.

CaptainMusky

I have my moments Pug! Lol

Wild need a consistent effort from start to finish tonight. Last game wasn’t very good even thought they won handily it was sloppy at times. Brodin may be back and Dumba is real close too. That helps.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Very enjoyable game last night. Took Grouselet 1.0 and he got to see everything that the fine art of hockey has to offer. Goals, fights, everything.

It was almost cruel the way the Wild toyed with the Predators. The Preads were down and out at the start of the 3rd, but then they got a couple of quick goals and suddenly it was 3-2 and you could see the spring in the Preads step as they suddenly believed it just might be possible.

And then they made the fatal mistake. The Preads started leaning harder and harder into the offensive zone. I could see the soul crushing moment coming and the Preads picked the worst moment with Zucker on the ice. Zucker blocked an ill-advised Suban shot point shot and it was off to the races and Zucker beat Pekker like a rented mule and destroyed the Preads hopes.

Then Staal then delivered the dagger empty netter and it was all over. I love, love, love empty netters. It’s just so demoralizing for that oppoent to be crushed by yet another goal. Getting beaten 5-2 hurts so much more than a mere 4-2.

The thing I like about this Wild team is you just never know where the goals are going to come from. All 4 lines are absolutely deadly if you give them the chance. There is just no let up, the 4th line can kill you just as dead as the first.

Once again, Doobs made the oppoent put everything they had into scoring just 2 goals. Too bad they needed 5 for a win.

Nice to see Brodin back in the lineup last night. Blackhawks next, obviously this is basically a playoff game for both teams.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And it’s always enjoyable to see a serieal jackass like Steve Ott get his @ss handed to him in a fight.

I think some of these morons like Ott are having a tough time getting used to the fact that EVERYONE in the NHL is now thier size or bigger now. It used to be fun for serieal perp Ott to pick a fight where he had a 30 pound weight advantage but those options are getting few and far between for an aging Ott. Brooks Orpik? Really Ott? You want to rumble with little ol’ Orpik, huh? OK, hold on to your butt…

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/136506

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A couple of interesting developments over the past week.

The Wild finally pulled even with Chicago on games played and in fact Chicago now has 1 game in hand, so the points situation is now more or less real with the Wild 7 points ahead. The Wild have a real opportunity to widen the lead tomorrow and then with the Wild going on their mandatory week off, Chicago will go back ahead on games played.

I’m really excited for tomorrow night. We only have one more game after this against the Blackhawks, so this is a great opportunity.

I wonder if Dumba will be back or if they’ll keep him out 1 more game to give him a full additional week off?

Grouse

hop307
    Northern Todd County

23 games in 41 days after the break, strap in boys its going to be one hell of a ride.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

23 games in 41 days after the break, strap in boys its going to be one hell of a ride.

The good news is that’s life in the NHL these days and every team has basically the same schedule. This whole week off thing is a cluster and everybody knows it. As a hockey fan, you wouldn’t think I’d say this, but I’d actually like to see 5 games dropped from the season.

In March, the Wild have an almost perfect every-other-day schedule. It’s weird to look at on the calendar, but that’s the way it worked out.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s a good thing that NONE of them should be a “must win”.

I hope Boudreau lays of the guys a little after the break. I hope they get to just go out and have fun.

What’s more fun than being the team everyone is out to beat?

CaptainMusky

Dumba said on Saturday that he wants to return Tuesday but the decision isn’t his to make. -)
    It will be quite the push after the break. I’m fine with 82 game schedule but this bye is dumb.
    Add some days at Christmas and over the all star so everyone has them at the same time. Or, have the teams returning from the bye play each other so it’s just terrible hockey all together.

JoeMX1825
    MN

big game tonight, it would be ideal to go into the bye week with the added confidence of beating Chicago allowing players to decompress a bit vs thinking about a loss all week…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The Wild would have to have a very bad stretch to not enjoy home ice in the playoffs and have a very good chance at reaching 120 points.

Tonight’s game should be a real treat to watch.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just keep in mind that even though the Wild don’t have to worry about making the playoffs, they will be playing a lot of other teams trying to.

Personally I see a slightly worse record for them after the break.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s going to be a terrific game tonight. Totally agree, BT, it would be a nice boost to go into the week off haveing beaten the Blackhawks.

This is also a good opportunity to send a message. Winning is good. Winning by a lot is even better. It can’t be discounted, the Wild need every advantage because you never know who you’ll meet either down the road when it matters or in the playoffs.

I think the number of teams scrapping for playoff positions will benefit the Wild. We can’t have a late season letdown after we cross the playoff line. This team needs to play full throttle hockey.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Jordan Leopold was on wild fan line last Thursday and the question came up about if it makes a difference if your team coasts into the playoffs rather than battling to make the playoffs.

Be basically laughed and said that it makes a HUGE difference and that the teams battling for the last month or two are usually at a big disadvantage due to being so tired and beat up.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Jordan Leopold was on wild fan line last Thursday and the question came up about if it makes a difference if your team coasts into the playoffs rather than battling to make the playoffs.

Be basically laughed and said that it makes a HUGE difference and that the teams battling for the last month or two are usually at a big disadvantage due to being so tired and beat up.

See our team the last couple seasons…

As of last Friday Chicago had to win 22 out of 25 to get to 119 points. I’m expecting a deep playoff run and home ice would certainly make it easier and I’m positive that Boudreau will aim for that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Going into the break with a 9pt cushion would be nice. The best Chicago could do is be within 5 after our break. Otherwise they could get within 1.

A win in regulation and get an 8+ point cushion and we can give Kuemper a good chunk of starts after the break and hopefully guys don’t feel like they have to play through injuries.

I have a feeling if Chicago is chasing us all season they may lay an egg in the first round. Then again, every year I don’t understand how far they go with their roster.

Brady Valberg

Well this game is over…had to shut it off for fear of my TV’s life

CaptainMusky

Still have a tough time matching up with the Hawks. Dumba should be traded. He’s terrible. Switch the D pairings around with the forwards and he is nowhere near his +/- record. Toews killed us.
    This doesn’t mean the end of the season but I’m afraid it’s a sign of things to come. Cannot get past the hawks.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was going to say the same thing about Dumba. But Boudreau did admit it was a mistake playing him with one practice after missing 4 games. It was funny reading that, because I forgot he was injured. That being said, his play this year has not been the best.

He’d definitely have value as a 21 year D defenseman. But on the flip side, he’s 21 and going to get a lot better.

I am one of those guys who has a hard time with acquiring rentals when your team is playing so well.

I hate Toews. He is obviously the heart of that team and way more important than Kane. You could just see how intense of a leader he is by his reaction after his first goal. He’s quite the gamer.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

They aren’t going to beat anyone when they only play 20 minutes a game. The first period was a great match up and the Wild had a ton of chances. They were so dang flat and lifeless the 2nd and 3rd period it looked like a whole different team. The Hawks absolutely own their @sses those 2 periods!

I agree Dumba was not on his game last night, but Scandella, holy crap, how many times are you going to turn it over right in front of you own net flame Is Shattenkirk still available whistling

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Talk about taking the wind out of the sails. I threw up the green kool-aid tonight. They’re our kryptonite. I also hate Toews, but he sure would look good with a wild sweater on.

I mean, we’ve been blowing thru teams and then these guys come to town…need to figure it out.

CaptainMusky

As bad as we played we still had a shot to win. They played about as good as they could and essentially beat us by 1. We had a goal called off, which was right but a better bounce here or there and it was a different result. That one goal by Toews was ridiculous. How many times does that happen, puck hits defender drops to your forehand side and just tap it in? Lucky. Toews is the ultimate competitor and you can just see it when he turns it on.
    Now, does Fletch mess with the mojo and bring someone in?
    Eaves or Boyle would fit nicely…

JoeMX1825
    MN

We beat them in Chicago, they beat us here…Crawford made some crazy saves last night, but if Suter’s shot is 1/2 inch lower, it would have been a tied game with a few minutes to go…bottom line, Chicago got the bounces tonight…There were times they outplayed us, but there were also times we outplayed them, they are both pretty even teams, it was fun to watch…Chicago get’s by with 1 of their superstars showing up every night, last night it was obviously Toew’s turn…That’s why you pay him $10 million a season…other nights it will be Kane…We’ve done a great job of containing Kane the past few games…

Dumba looked very rusty, Bruce admitted it was a mistake to play him and the -4 result was proof of that. We’ll really see the coaching chops of Bruce with the 3 games after they come off the bye, pretty tough competition.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In the first the Wild were playing like it was a playoff game. Everyone was finishing checks. Then they kind of stopped.

Boyle would be ok, but I’d really like Killorn. I highly doubt Yzerman is will to part with him. In fact, I have a hard time thinking the lightning are going to be sellers. Last year they got into the playoffs the same way, come on strong in the end and push into the playoffs.

I told my nephew when he was in Vegas last weekend to put money on Tamp to win the cup. They were giving him great odds. Looks like they are still at 30-1.

CaptainMusky

I highly doubt Yzerman is will to part with him.

Yzerman isn’t going to be easy to part with anyone. He always seems to want a ton for his guys. Reason why Drouin is still there. I mean, teams were interested in him last year, but he wanted more than folks wanted to pay.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

It’s been fairly obvious IMHO, that Chicago’s A game Is still better than the Wilds A game.
    If they meet in the playoffs as they stand now, I think Chicago’s core Top seven
    are markedly better than the Wilds core top seven.
    We do not have a Toews or Kane who can change the pace of a Game.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d say Kane/Toews is better than any 2 player we could pair and throw at them. But beyond those guys the Wild has the upperhand.

Last night seemed a little more that the roles are reversed from the past few years where it is now the Hawks chasing us and trying to “prove” themselves. Of course the caveat is the Hawks have nothing really to prove.

CaptainMusky

I’d say Kane/Toews is better than any 2 player we could pair and throw at them. But beyond those guys the Wild has the upperhand.

Last night seemed a little more that the roles are reversed from the past few years where it is now the Hawks chasing us and trying to “prove” themselves. Of course the caveat is the Hawks have nothing really to prove.

Agreed, after those 2, there really isn’t anyone on the roster that scares me. We match up with them just fine. We have shut down Kane pretty good the last couple games, but Toews torched us last night.
    The funny, fickle nature of sports is that MANY Hawks fans thought he should be traded. What a ridiculous statement. The guy is a leader. Wins a ton of key faceoffs and just plain competes.
    It is hard to say “A” game vs “A” game who is better. At times last night you could say the Wild were clearly the better team and other times the Hawks were. I don’t think the Wild played their best, but I do think the Hawks played about as perfect of a game as they could and they barely beat us. Crawford was unreal. Lots of big saves.
    The big separator for me is the experience. When we line up in a series against them they have so many guys that have been there and done that. We have guys too that have been playing in a lot of series but nowhere near the number of games the Hawks guys have. That is a big advantage IMO.
    If the Wild hadn’t slept through the second period I think that game ends differently. We have a more balanced team than they do, we just cannot sleep walk through periods like that and expect to win. It may work against teams like Arizona or Jets, but not teams like the Hawks.

Viewing 30 posts - 541 through 570 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.