MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Vegas will want a young D from us (most valuable type of player in a xpac draft as nobody will make a scorer available and even the likleyhood of one not already having a no trade clause is extremely low) unless they grab the hometown boy Zucker (I don’t want to lose him)

I think in a perfect world the Wild would want to lose Scandella and then use his salary to help sign Granny and Nino long term, replace him with a low contract player like Olafson/Reilly

Hoyt4
    NULL

I have no issue with Coyle’s toughness. He played in the playoffs with two separated shoulders and never backed down on any plays. He is just in a little slump and will be just fine. These last stretch of games has to be hard playing 4 games a week until now. This break is good thing for them and they will be even better after I’m hoping.

Parise is starting to turn it on and pucks should start going in the net. His skating is getting better and more speed in the last couple games. I was also worried but sure looks like he’s starting to show up more.

Nice to see us bounce a few goalies out of the net this year.

CaptainMusky

I think Parise will be just fine. He is playing better and spending time on the 3rd line is bound to be an advantage for him skill-wise. Haula and Pominville are playing well right now and Parise will get it together. The All Star break is coming at a good time I think to rest up a bit for a big push the second half.
    Coyle is a streaky scorer. Right now Nino is pouring them in, but Coyle will start as well. He gets them in bunches. He led this team in goals at one point so I am not too worried I just don’t want him dangling with the puck because that isn’t his game.
    Dumba and Scandella shouldn’t be paired together. Neither one of them have a defensive mindset and those two were essentially responsible for the lone goal last night. I think Scandella is busy looking over his shoulder because he is thinking he is possibly on the way out. Well, he should start playing better to make that decision harder.
    IMO, if the Wild really want to make a push this year for the Cup, at the deadline they need to get a solid 4th line center. Graovac I just don’t think is developing fast enough. He has the size, is relatively speedy, but you cannot count on him to win a faceoff and just needs to get to the net more. He’s young and he might get there, but if we really want to make a mark this post season, I don’t think its with him centering that line, as least how he is playing now.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was thinking last, when Dumba was playing in Red Deer and a highly outed prospect, I thought we were getting a offensive, energy/character guy who was physical and a bit of a pest. I think he’s fulfilling the first two, but not so much the last part. I guess he isn’t a big guy, but I thought he’d hit more and muck it up after the whistle.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I guess he isn’t a big guy, but I thought he’d hit more and muck it up after the whistle.

That’s what Stewart is for. And besides that, I honestly don’t think Burce wants them to play that way. I don’t think he wants our players tangled up and trying to be a pummel ’em into submission team beacause that takes away from our speed.

We’re 2nd to the last on the stats for hit count in the NHL, but that seems to be working for us because we’re on top of the division.

Last night’s game was just terrific. What focus. What drive. I KNEW they were going to win that game, just the juice they had.

It as fantastic with the NBC announcers crowing on and on about Hutton in goal for the Blues. Finally solved their goaltending issues. 1 goal given up in 3 games. Blah, blah, blah, isn’t Hutton awesome. And then he’s riding the pine down 5-1.

NBC announcers are asshats. They do that all the time, dissing the Wild at every chance. The best netminder in the league is 200 feet on the other end of the ice, and these NBC asshats are going on and on about how fantastic a guy with a huge 2.81 GAA who’s only played 22 games is.

Shattenjerk and the Blues are not the the team they were a year ago, but you have to beat those teams too. WTG for the Wild to send a message.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

I remember reading an article a few years ago regarding Dumba’s open ice hitting. It said he was told by coaches to hold off on big hits because it will put him out of position too much…

We’ve seen it from time to time (Hit in the outdoor game last season, I believe he hit Kane or Toews a few years ago, these are a few off the top of my head)

I think Stevens will eventually bring this skillset back out of him because he was feared for it in junior…Stevens wasn’t really known for his open ice hits until later in his career…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Stevens wasn’t really known for his open ice hits until later in his career…

I loved watching Stevens crush tough guys like Erik Lindros. One og the clasdic hits of all time. Any hit on a Flyers player is enjoyable to watch.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I remember reading an article a few years ago regarding Dumba’s open ice hitting. It said he was told by coaches to hold off on big hits because it will put him out of position too much…

You are right, that rings a bell.

I was just brought Dumba up because I thought about my perception of him in juniors and what I was anticipating and what I have seen. Nothing more.

I think a commentator said once that Stevens said he’s not looking to change how a player plays (as in making the d corp more physical), he’s coaching them on defence, positioning and what not.

NBC announcers are asshats. They do that all the time, dissing the Wild at every chance.

Come on Grouse, don’t fall into the MN sports fan complex. All the NBC guys were talking up the Wild before, during and after.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, actually I thought the NBC guys last night were maybe over the top at times in their praise for the Wild. Roenick and Milburry certainly were talking them up between periods.
    Its OK, we can remain below the radar for the National Media, that is fine. I just want a strong push for the Cup and please, don’t win the President’s Trophy!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree with the presidents trophy but man this conversation is all over the place.

From who they’re losing in the expansion draft to the announcers.

I love the response I heard on radio show after the game last night when someone asked who the wild would lose in the draft. WHO CARES! ENJOY THE FREAKING RIDE! Every team will lose a good player. No way around it. Vegas won’t be left with a bunch of underachieving players so don’t think we’ll lose someone we don’t want to keep.

I’d love for the wild to fly under the radar the rest of the season and into the playoffs. I’m sure it won’t happen but I think this team is prepared to make the best run they’ve ever had.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I love the response I heard on radio show after the game last night when someone asked who the wild would lose in the draft. WHO CARES! ENJOY THE FREAKING RIDE!

This is exactly right and I’m totally with you. The Wild are playing brilliant hockey right now and it’s terrific to watch.

I’m not going to judge a season by what happens at the end. This Wild team and the new coach have already played beyond my wildest expectations. I believe we’re something like 26-2-2 in the last 30 games, and our goal differential is something over 50 last I looked. We have 48 games played with only 11 total losses. Wow!

Oh, and don’t worry, Yeo has always had trouble winning in the Excell Center

Ok, I couldn’t let that one go by without a jester jester jester

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s the all-star break, that’s why the Convo is all over the place.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In case you missed Russo’s article..

Russo talks to Doobs family

I love his story. I remember him in Edmonton, because I grabbed him for my fantasy team mid season. I though he was a good goalie, but streaky. He did have some games where he stood on his head, but then other games where he was leaky. But it shouldn’t be lost on anyone he was playing for the defensively inept Oilers.

We should all be counting our blessings that we got him…And got him for cheap.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Disappointed in the skills competition, seemed boring most of the time, especially the breakaways, 3/4 of the guys shot 5 hole…showboat for the fans a bit like Burnzy did!

The shooting for the corners game was cool, but give them more than just 2 shots a piece!

Surprised McDavid didn’t break Larkins record.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Larkin cheated. Larkin shouldn’t hold the record.

CaptainMusky

I knew mcdavid was fast but oh boy he is incredible! Scary part is that he would probably do it almost as fast with a puck! NHL has some young studs, future is bright!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We should all be counting our blessings that we got him (Dubnyk)…And got him for cheap.

That’s for sure.

I’ll never forget his first game against Buffalo. The Wild was DESPERATE. The weight of expectaion was so heavy. And Dubnyk not only met the expectations head on with a shutout that night, but it grew more incredible with each performance afterward. Truely a story about how never giving up pays off.

Of course being Wild fans, most of us were waiting for it to come crashing down, but I think in the scheme of things we basically lucked into a place where the Wild needed just what Dubnyk needed: The Wild needed a starter who could play a LOT and Dubnyk is a goalie who NEEDS to play a lot to be sharp.

What the heck was the deal, I don’t recall the exact number of games straight that Dubnyk started, but the media started talking about when was Dubnyk going to get a rest and Fletcher told I think it was Russo, “It’s not like he was exactly overworked before he got here. I think he’s fine for a while.”

It helps that Dubnyk and his family are the nicest and most down to earth people.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The All Star game is a joke. Nobody would miss it. Why not just give the players a week off to heal and rest.

CaptainMusky

The All Star game is a joke. Nobody would miss it. Why not just give the players a week off to heal and rest.

+1

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Because they can’t make money off a break.

The AS game is great for the city that hosts it. And it is probably exciting and interesting for young kids, but as an adult, I pass on watching it. I need a break too.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Larkin cheated. Larkin shouldn’t hold the record.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/LLwVkZu86Os?start=95&feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid604205″></iframe></div></div>

McDavid dang near beat him with a standing start. Definitely would have with a running start like Larkin had.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

What a way to start after the break, a back to back on the road against a couple of teams that are very much improved over last year, Edmonton and Calgary.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I agree, another western Canada swing, but there is a long, long home stretch as the reward for getting through this swing.

Not to look past that little obstacle known as the second half of the season, but every game where we match up against teams who will pretty obviously be contenders in the playoffs will be very interesting.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It would be nice to come out of this road trip with at least 4pts to offset the last time they did this trip. It also was the catalyst to the winning streak. Then a nice 8 game homestand that they can really take advantage of and give them some room between them and the Hawks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

in years past I would be worried, but Bruce knows how to get in these guys heads… they will come out guns blazing!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Picked up where they left off this first period.

I wonder how many goals Zucker has scored in the first or last minute of a period. Remember last year or the year before he must have done it 4-6 times.

JoeMX1825
    MN

wow that was a whoopin on a good team, playing at home with alot of momentum. Icing on the cake is that the Hawks and Blues lost…Zucker is playing himself into a protected slot for the xpac draft… Nice to see Parise score a Parise goal last night, must have been the white tape )

CaptainMusky

Here’s a fun fact! Kuemper has more points than McDavid in the 3 meetings with the Oilers/Wild this year. LOL

The first couple minutes had me worried, but from top to bottom the team poured it on.

Granlund was at the receiving end of one of those “snot-releasing” hip checks. He got right up though, but that was a good old fashioned hip check!

Kuemper looked pretty good last night. Obviously he had a lot of saves, but many were not the greatest opportunities, but I don’t think either of the goals were soft by any means. Nice to see him have a solid game.

6 pts up from the Blackhawks after they lost last night. 3 games in hand.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Looks like Yeo will get an early start as bench boss of the Blues.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.