MN Wild 2016-17 – Official thread.

• hop307
    Northern Todd County

Love BBs quote on how the end of the third was played.

“It was stupid,” Boudreau said of his defensemen chasing pucks in the offensive zone. “We pinch with a 3-2 lead with no one behind us. I mean, it’s stuff we don’t do, haven’t done all year. I don’t know what our thought process is there. Their winning goal, we have three guys caught. A 4-on-2, they come down, and then it’s a 1-on-5 in the zone and nobody’s doing anything. It was just dumb hockey.”

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Injury report. Jonas Brodin is out for an estimated 4 weeks with a broken finger. Report I read does not indicate when it happened, but he was in the game last night until at least the 2nd. I don’t recall seeing him in the 3rd.

That’s a bad deal for the Wild D. Wonder who’s coming up to replace him in the lineup.

Grouse

4 weeks for a busted finger???? Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.
    I guess I can’t complain about the injury situation. The Wild have been very lucky in that aspect for sure!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

3-3 after two. Yep, this was my biggest fear. We saw some of this starting with the ranger game.

sticker

PLEASE tell me this isn’t happening! They look like crap again. WTH?

sticker

The first 50 minutes of the game they looked like last years team during the slump. Not sure what happened, but they turned it around in the last 10 minutes. Hope Bruce gives them an ear full at practice today doah

JoeMX1825
    MN

Let’s remember they are something like 18-2-2 in the last 22 games, that’s just rediculous!

There will be a few lulls in there as nobody can contain that pace forever, they got the win tonight, it wasn’t pretty, but it’s still a win. Would you feel any better had they outshot/outplayed the Coyotes, but lost 1-0 on a fluke goal? I’m happy they got 2 points.

sticker

Yeah, I know. I am happy they got the win. Just scares me cause I know how they have been in the past.:???:

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hope Bruce gives them an ear full at practice today

Wasn’t that supposed to happen after the last game?

Yeah, I know. I am happy they got the win. Just scares me cause I know how they have been in the past.:???:

There are a lot of people who feel that way. After 3-4 annual slumps in a row, even during the winning streak, it sit in the back of your mind like that booger on the Mucinex commercial.

The good news is because of the streak, it’s virtually impossible for them to miss the playoffs, so my big wish is that they are 100% healthy going into the playoffs.

Dan
    Southeast MN

At the risk of “going there….”

So for those of you that are Vikings fans, how do you think the Wild compare to this year’s Vikings team? The reason I ask is that we all had high hopes for the Vikes and their start to the season, although problems were starting to be exposed, reinforced those hopes….then we all collectively crashed.

IMO I think the Wild’s season has surpassed the success level of the Vikings. In the grand scheme of things 5-0 was great but even with 5 wins to start the season we knew there was no running game, we knew the O-line was bad, we knew the passing game could be short and maybe accurate but wasn’t going to bail us out of games, and we knew injuries kept mounting.

Compare that to the Wild, who have been pretty dang healthy (Brodin’s injury sucks but he’ll be back). They also seem to be playing well enough and consistant enough to hopefully prevent any lengthy slump. They also have guys playing at high enough levels to pull us through, whereas the Vikings, at least on offense, lacked the star power of a solid stud who could pull right the ship.

Maybe this thought will go nowhere, I’ve just been thinking lately how the Vikings and Wild both started out their seasons really well and then the Vikings completely crashed, and as MN sports fans we’re conditioned to expect the same from the Wild. Just wondering if others had any similar thoughts.

Maybe I’m just Minnesota-sports nervous and looking for someone to reinforce my hope lol.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m a little worried about Parise’s play, he’s constantly a step or two behind the play and his frustration is starting to show with lazy penalties. Hopefully he can turn it around the 2nd half of the season…but it’s sure nice to not have to rely on him right now with our balanced scoring…

if it’s an injury thing, they should just shut him down for a few weeks and let him reset, we have players who can fill in the void..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

At 5-0, the Vikings were not shoe-ins for the playoffs. It’s pretty tough to compare a football season to a hockey season.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Only got a chance to watch the third last night, but c’mon Wild fans. Let’s get a grip here. Maybe throttle back on the coffee and Red Bull for a day or two?

Did they look GREAT? No. Did they win? Yes.

Cripes, just look at what’s happening in the west. The Blackhawks are floundering far worse than the Wild. Last night the Blues pulled Allen. Twice! Yes, that’s right, the Blues goaltending is so bad, they started Allen, he let in 2 goals in 3 shots, they pulled him, put him back in in the 2nd, and pulled him AGAIN. I think things could be worse.

And I think we’re missing the good stuff here. There was a lot to like last night and in the last 2 games.

Pominville had a 3 point game and I think he has 6 points in the last 3 games including a goal. And he has some juice finally, he’s moving out there.

Nino. 2 goals and back to back 3 point games. And that pass/shot from Granlund was just awesome. Goalie had to move to stop it and Nino deflected it against the grain. Sweeeeeeet.

Chris Stewart is such a punk, I just love him. He’s on track to have a career high season and all this from the 4th line. And did you guys see him pound the crap out of that little p1ssant d-man who was hounding Koivu? That was as big of a beatdown as I’ve seen in a Wild fight for a long time. Watching it in replay, he freaking pounded that guy punch after punch, he scored 10 shots right in the face.

I’m not worried about Parise either. If he’s not a threat out there, why’s he getting crosschecked 30 times a game? Everybody knows if they back off Parise for a second, he’ll burn them. I say let him lurk in the weeds, he’ll light up when we need him.

Just stay focused. The goal is to win the division outright. Worry about the rest later.

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    Injury report. Jonas Brodin is out for an estimated 4 weeks with a broken finger. Report I read does not indicate when it happened, but he was in the game last night until at least the 2nd. I don’t recall seeing him in the 3rd.

That’s a bad deal for the Wild D. Wonder who’s coming up to replace him in the lineup.

Grouse

4 weeks for a busted finger???? Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.
    I guess I can’t complain about the injury situation. The Wild have been very lucky in that aspect for sure!!

Obviously, since all the teams know Brodin has a busted finger they would be slashing his hands at every opportunity. Best bet is to allow the finger to heal and have him ready for the playoffs.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The Wild are currently sitting on 29 wins with 38 games left to play. It would be pretty hard pressed for them to not make the playoffs. It would have to be an epic meltdown. The west is weaker this year than years past. A .500 record to close out the season may not give them a top 1 or 2 seed but a 48 win season is a shoe in for the playoffs. Even if they went 13-25 they’d likely get in as a 7 or 8 seed. Very few 42 win teams have ever missed the playoffs.

CaptainMusky

Comparing the “hype” level of Vikings at 5-0 and the Wild right now I would say the Vikings hype was higher than the Wild at that point. One difference I have seen between the two teams was after starting out hot, what happened when that ended? Well, the Vikings were never the same. Wild won 12 in a row, then lost. What happened? Well, they have pulled together a string of nice wins again. getting 5 of 6 pts of a very tough road trip through CA. Yeah, they had a bump in the road against NJ the other night and last night may not have been the best game, but the fact remains they are still winning a ton of these games even when they are not playing well. That means a lot obviously.
    Now, the MN fan in me wont believe my eyes until they are hoisting a banner and yes, I am waiting for the other shoe to fall, but its a fun ride right now, but I am trying to not get too excited.
    We would be absolutely unstoppable if we can get some scoring out of Pominville. Boy, that Staal, Nino Coyle line is hard to matchup against.
    I just love how BB mixes and matches guys around to find a spark. The better part is he doesn’t treat it like a demotion just honestly says he is trying to put guys in their best position to succeed. I liked Yeo, but I think what lost the players was when he would switch the lines around and he was use the words “to get someone going”. Well, the veterans I don’t think appreciated that very much.

The other thing I love about Boudreau is he is a quote machine. I just crack up listening to the guy. The other day he was asked about Chemistry and he said “I don’t even know what that means”, yet last night in the presser he said “the guys have some chemistry”. LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m so used to the Vikings going belly up, never gave the comparison a thought.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Greenlay and Laplanta have got to go. They are horrible.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Funny the things that can happen when you shoot the puck eh? toast

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ok, I admit it. I was at the Wild v Ducks game tonight and I thought we were hosed after we gave up that shorthander. It seemed like the momentum was all on the ducks side.

Oh me of little faith!

Grandlund easily could have had 2 to go with Haula and Zucker. Kind of unfair, but an absolutely electric Wild win! And best of all, Perry got slammed hard as a cherry on the sundae.

It was great. The crowd just started the “sieve” chant and then Zucker got the breakaway and scored. Perfect timing.

The Ducks were so shell shocked they didn’t even bother to pull the goalie. the last 4 minutes were terrific, the Ducks couldn’t find their sticks with both hands.

This Wild team is never out of it.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Definitely a nice come back after a rough first. The wilds resiliency and special teams should serve the well in the playoffs.

CaptainMusky

Definitely a nice come back after a rough first. The wilds resiliency and special teams shouldwill serve the well in the playoffs.

fixed it for ya. ;-)

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

mplspug wrote:
    Definitely a nice come back after a rough first. The wilds resiliency and special teams shouldwill serve the well in the playoffs.

fixed it for ya.

Yeah, Pug, you big pessimist, you. I’d have thought all that bathing in Florida sunshine 24/7 would have you singing a sunny optimist tune all the time now. Don’t be such an, umm, Minnesotan…

Let me throw out an observation too. This Wild produces enough offensive play that it happens just like the pundits say it should. Eventually, the puck goes in.

Grandlund and Scandella both clanked pipes. The Wild had 4 glorious chances in the first including two unfortunate misses of weak side open nets. Add to that the shorthanded goal that was a bad puck bounce and the wild could easily have had this game 6 to 2. Anaheim is talented is some positions, but in honesty they aren’t playing to the level they did last year.

It’s not a very MN position to be in, but you can see other teams adjust their style because the Wild are just so dangerous. What happened last night was that the Ducks started leaning offense after we tied it up in the 3rd and then looke what happened 2 minuts later. We burned them and put the game on ice.

Speed kills and Anaheim demonstrated perfectly what happens when you try to grind the Wild with heavy body, board grinding play. Bing, bang, you got burned.

Grouse

Brady Valberg

Be nice if the effin refs would call something holy heeesus

JoeMX1825
    MN

wow, did they ever hit a wall in the 3rd period, no legs/energy at all…7 games in 11 days will do that I guess…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Be nice if the effin refs would call something holy heeesus

Unbelievable number of totally obvious no-calls last night. Trip on Grandlund that even Ray Charles could have seen. Hook on Haula with ref standing right there. They were just determined not to call anything last night.

Tough game playing back-to-back with another good team. It’s going to be tough to win them all, even though they should have had Nashville last night.

Anyone know what’s wrong with Koivu?

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think he was just sick.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Sounded like a bout with the flu. BB commented he would travel to Dallas.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sounded like a bout with the flu. BB commented he would travel to Dallas.

Bummer that he missed a game, but relieved because I don’t want a repeat of last year’s bizzaire battle with the mumps.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Another night, another win against the Texass Team Rustlers-err, I mean “Dallas Stars”.

Oh, and another no call as Grandlund gets dragged down by the sweater in a penalty that could easily have been spotted by Ray Charles sitting in the cheap seats. One can only marvel at WHERE all 3 of the refs could have been looking because Grandlund HAD the puck!

Chris Stewart sticks the dagger in them in the shootout. I love Stewart.

I also love the fact that the Wild’s ability to spot talent that fits their needs has taken a quantum leap ahead since the Riseborough days when they couldn’t find their butt with both hands. Both the draft and free agent picks have become dramatically better.

Now not to complain, but, well, I have a few complaints. About the Wild and hockey in general.

– Coyle. I don’t know. I’m starting to think the Wild should deal him for a proven consistent performer or a top draft pick, or not protect him in the expansion and dare Vegas to take him off the payroll. I thought he was finally coming into consistent play at a high level and now he’s on the skids again. I’m starting to have that Vanek feeling all over again where the “potential” is there, but it just never seems to consistently produce for very long.

– Parise – His play is there, but could he be any more snakebitten. Always 6 inches away from a goal. Now I think he’s trying too hard because he’s frustrated.

– The Wild D. We need to tighten things up. Guys being left out front, uncovered back door plays, blown exit passes. Playing without Brodin is a reality and he’s not coming back until at LEAST late Feb and realistically it’s more like early March.

– The embarrassment to the entire sport that IS the Arizona Coyotes. It is unbelieveable to me that the league has allowed expansion to vegas when we have the totall sport humiation that IS the Arizona Coyotes.

Even the Trump spindoctors would shy away from claiming attendance at ANY AZ game was even half of capacity. That’s how bad it is. I paused the AZ game the other night on NHL Network and I actually COUNTED the prime “on the redline” section opposite the camera. only just over 50% of the seats were occupied in the first period! I highly doubt the arena was even 40% full and that’s pretty much the norm.

So now the NHL thinks we need expansions in Vegas AND Quebec? Whatever happend to the good old days when they were ripping teams out of traditional northern tier Hockey cities left and right? Back in the 1990s, if your attendance faultered for a year and you didn’t have a brand new stadium, your team got yanked.

Now AZ, Dallas, the FLA teams, and Carolina are all stuggling to fill seats and the NHL is adding teams. What a crock. Force AZ to move to Quebec or shut them down! Also, the league needs to put the whip to other southern softie franchises with bandwagon fan bases. Halifax NS could draw more fans on a year in year out basis than Dallas can.

Grouse

Grouse

sticker

I have to agree with you 100% Grouse on everything you said.

I was never a big Stewart fan before, but this year he is on top of his game every night. He impresses the crap out of me each night!!

I was just saying to… well the TV last night, Coyle better do something pretty quick or he will be riding the pine. He just can’t put it together this year for some reason. He was really looking good the last half of last year, but this year he is just there.

Parise is just try too hard, plain and simple. You can surely tell he is very frustrated.

The D, yes, even Suter handed away a gimmy in his own end last night. That is very un Suter like. Dumba needs to get back to what he was doing. Not real impressed with him as of late either.

They pulled it out in a shoot out, but my blood pressure was thru the roof again last night. I think I need the all star break as bad as they do doah

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 1,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.